PDA

View Full Version : seirra clip flashlight

trapper
04-26-2012, 18:09
just received this tent today took it out in the yard and set it up. its a 2 person tent but i would not want to sleep with another guy in this tent. i bought it for me and my wife to backpack together with. set up was super easy and it is really light for the price $170. any one else have one of these it seems really well made.

fudgefoot
04-27-2012, 00:14
I used a clip flashlight for many years - it is a great backpacking tent. I've since switched to a tarp tent to shed some weight.

Feral Bill
04-27-2012, 01:17
Nice tent for one or an adult and child. My wife finds it too small for two adults.

Mr. Bumpy
04-27-2012, 06:55
I've got the three person which unfortunately discontinued. It is great for two adults and my wife, child and I can fit. Mostly I take just pitch the fly. I keep shipping for something else but just can't seem to find anything else that I really want except maybe a pyramid tent for a little bit better protection.

Whack-a-mole
04-27-2012, 10:49
I've got one with about 10 nights use on it, and I'd let it go for $80 plus shipping.

Moose2001
04-27-2012, 11:09
just received this tent today took it out in the yard and set it up. its a 2 person tent but i would not want to sleep with another guy in this tent. i bought it for me and my wife to backpack together with. set up was super easy and it is really light for the price $170. any one else have one of these it seems really well made.

I was just thinking this is a great example of how gear has changed! Back in 2001 when I did my first hike, the Clip Flashlight was one of the most popular tents on the trail. I've got a pic somewhere of a camp site where there were half a dozen lined up next to each other. These days, you hardly ever see a tent like this one. Still, it's a good tent. Well made and will keep you dry and warm. Enjoy it!

mikec
04-27-2012, 11:13
I agree with Moose2001. Back in 1999 when I sectioned from GA to VA, the Clip Flashlight was the most popular tent on the trail. It's a great tent.

Mr. Bumpy
04-27-2012, 14:00
I've got one with about 10 nights use on it, and I'd let it go for $80 plus shipping.

What, a pyramid tent?

Mags
04-27-2012, 14:25
it's a good 'bread and butter' tent. Simple to set up, rugged, not lightweight by today's standards, but not overly heavy. I still have the almost identical Kelty Zen (Kelty and SD are owned by the same company (http://www.americanrec.com/) now..not sure about then?) and still break it out on occasion for car camping or as a loaner. It is a bit snug for two adults, but do-able.

Tenderheart
04-27-2012, 15:16
I too agree with Moose. In 2000, when I hiked, the Clip Flashlight and the Light Year CD were very popular. Even though they are somewhat outdated, they are still both great choices. Often times, stuff has been around for a good while for a reason. It still works.

trapper
04-27-2012, 17:19
Whack a mole.....i just bought one i don't need another

Whack-a-mole
04-28-2012, 11:43
Yes, I was just throwing it out there in case someone saw the thread and was interested. This is a great little tent, very weather proof, and easy to use and set up. The bottom line is that I am just too big for it. I'm 6-3 and I can't sit up in it very well or get dressed in it. Very hard to get out of in a rainy morning to get dressed. I think it is a fantastic tent for someone a little smaller or maybe a little younger (read more flexable here). I have some older items that I'm letting go and this is one of them. It's a great tent for the right person, maybe a scout or someone looking for a quality item at a fair price.

BlackCloud
04-29-2012, 22:55
Used this tent many, many a night for nearly a decade. Now relegated to my car camping tent, but if you're looking to purchase this tent, I say do it!

Live_for_hiking
04-30-2012, 08:58
I bought my Clip Flashlight around ... ~1995. I still use it when I want a little more room.

Cookerhiker
04-30-2012, 21:39
Bought a Clip Flashlight when they first came out in 1991. On its maiden night camped in Death Valley, a March sandstorm blew through and snapped the pole. Campmor replaced the tent and I used it for the next 16 years which included completing the AT in sections and hiking most of the JMT. No problems except when the waterproofing failed me in a heavy rainstorm one night.

I still have it as a backup but now use a Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1.

earlyriser26
04-30-2012, 21:58
They are joking when they call this a two person tent. It was so small I went with a larger size just for me.

KYLarry
05-07-2012, 12:19
I had a Clip Flashlight for close to 15 years. Looks like the newer versions have some more mesh and may be a bit lighter. Held up really well, but it is pretty tight quarters for two people... I generally just used it for my dog and I. Only problem I ever had was when I packed it away damp and opened it up to a wonderful mildew smell. I managed to clean it up and recently donated it to a local Boyscout Troop.

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 13:08
So when you are out on the AT, is there any one tent that is super popular now or do you see a myriad of tents?

SunnyWalker
05-20-2012, 23:47
Good tent, I like mine still after all these years. However, on thru hike I plan on using a small tarp.