PDA

View Full Version : This is probably a "Food" category thread...........

Different Socks
04-26-2012, 22:36
Went to the local Dominos and asked for price of a case of parmesan packets. They come 200 to a small box and I was looking at paying $10. The manager tells me he will order a box for me and the price was only $10.30. Next day I drop off a check and he hands me a case right off the shelf!! What a great guy!! Now I have about 70 meals of parm cheese to include with my dinner baggies!!!
I know, I know, some of you out there swear by the use of blocks of cheese, but I just don't want tthe weight, bulk and size of a block.
Now I am gonna Asian places about getting soy sauce, teriyaki, kung pao sauce, etc. Really mixing it up to my dinner/lunch menu compared to all my other long hikes. I guess that's another reason I'll never go ultra-light,........just can't dream of not carrying a stove, or even one that just boils water:eek:.

Rockie
04-26-2012, 23:21
Have you tried http://www.packitgourmet.com/View-All-Grocery-Items-c108.html?page=6 PackitGourmet? You can buy each item individually and they have all kinds of little things to make your dinner baggies interesting.

rocketsocks
04-26-2012, 23:29
Went to the local Dominos and asked for price of a case of parmesan packets. They come 200 to a small box and I was looking at paying $10. The manager tells me he will order a box for me and the price was only $10.30. Next day I drop off a check and he hands me a case right off the shelf!! What a great guy!! Now I have about 70 meals of parm cheese to include with my dinner baggies!!!
I know, I know, some of you out there swear by the use of blocks of cheese, but I just don't want tthe weight, bulk and size of a block.
Now I am gonna Asian places about getting soy sauce, teriyaki, kung pao sauce, etc. Really mixing it up to my dinner/lunch menu compared to all my other long hikes. I guess that's another reason I'll never go ultra-light,........just can't dream of not carrying a stove, or even one that just boils water:eek:.
cool,throw some in the hiker boxes,they'll get used...gar-o teed.I have a little cup in the frig filled with these Chinese packs,I'm sure many do,they give you so much,I gotta tell no thank you,I'm good.....and still there they are in the bottom of the bag.

oldbear
04-26-2012, 23:35
Try Sams Club> Food Service Supplies
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchTerm=food service &altQuery=null&sortKey=relevance&sortOrder=0&viewStyle=null&noOfRecordsPerPage=20&offset=201&tireSearch=null&servDesc=null&compareProducts=true&searchPreferredFilter=all&searchCategoryId=all

Rasty
04-26-2012, 23:49
Some restaurants may let you buy a partial case also. Some packets come in really large quantities (500, 1000, 2000). Its always a fairly easy thing for the restaurant and they really appreciate it knowing that you are being a customer and not just taking. I sometimes sell customers hard to find ingredients. Partial cases if it's something we use or full cases even if we don't use the product. Restaurants have easy access to thousands of foods and supplies through their vendors.

Different Socks
04-27-2012, 00:07
Some restaurants may let you buy a partial case also. Some packets come in really large quantities (500, 1000, 2000). Its always a fairly easy thing for the restaurant and they really appreciate it knowing that you are being a customer and not just taking. I sometimes sell customers hard to find ingredients. Partial cases if it's something we use or full cases even if we don't use the product. Restaurants have easy access to thousands of foods and supplies through their vendors.

Yeah! That's why I can't get it that people say they just go to local restaurants and ask for packets of stuff. I mean if you are not eating there or getting take out, why do they think that the business owner would just hand over something to you for free?

WingedMonkey
04-27-2012, 00:08
If your hike's not for another two years you might be pushing the "good by" date on some things.

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 00:32
Yeah! That's why I can't get it that people say they just go to local restaurants and ask for packets of stuff. I mean if you are not eating there or getting take out, why do they think that the business owner would just hand over something to you for free?I've taken/an asked for sugars and ketchup...alway's felt a little shaddy if I wasn't eating there. not a good feeling and worth the guilt.Not gonna have a breakdown over it.but telling on myself feels better.

Different Socks
04-27-2012, 00:37
If your hike's not for another two years you might be pushing the "good by" date on some things.

Everything I have prepared so far is dry to begin with and/or dried by me. As long as I keep it in a cool dark place(basement), all the meals i make ahead of time will be just as good to eat then as they would tomorrow evening. Prepping as much as I can now b/c I don't like the psychological affect of going to the store and buying $1000's of dollars in food. Besides, I can take advantage of numerous great sales between now and then .