PDA

View Full Version : Over 50 and feeling it.

Deerleg
04-26-2012, 22:40
It was only a few years ago could bust a 30 mile day if I wanted that challenge, but not lately…. Last summer I could feel a real energy drain on my section just north of the Smokies. I except that I’m not the hard charger I was a few years ago but am still in good shape and looking forward to many more years of sectioning the trail. Looking for advice on boosting that energy…Supplements? Diet? What’s worked for our “mature” hikers?

Moose2001
04-26-2012, 23:18
Had a Lyme test?

rocketsocks
04-26-2012, 23:36
Yep moose is right if you haven't get one,and if you test negative,get tested at a later date.I hit a wall not that many years ago,but my situation is compleatly different from yours in that your starting as a fit person,I was not,and only offer this post in support.Feel well.

Dirty Nails
04-26-2012, 23:45
Yeah, I have ups & downs. At 48 yrs I find I sometimes respond poorly to junk food. I try to be mindful of my diet. More than that though, it's all about conditioning for me. I am stronger after a good hard summer of hiking. After the holidays I put on a few pounds. And when I can't get out hiking very often during the winter I am not nearly as strong. Simply put, the more I hike, the stronger I feel.

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2012, 23:46
Well welcome to our world... one thing that works for me is invite a few friends - group therapy! Car pool and take two cars do a distance leg with shuttle... get out there...

If all else fails find a fit fourty something unrelated and have her out in front....

Shutterbug
04-26-2012, 23:47
It was only a few years ago could bust a 30 mile day if I wanted that challenge, but not lately…. Last summer I could feel a real energy drain on my section just north of the Smokies. I except that I’m not the hard charger I was a few years ago but am still in good shape and looking forward to many more years of sectioning the trail. Looking for advice on boosting that energy…Supplements? Diet? What’s worked for our “mature” hikers?

If you are slowing down at age 53, you should definitely get a physical.

At age 68, I have had my share of aging issues (heart bypass and prostate cancer), but I have not really slowed my hiking pace or distance. I have reduced my pack weight a lot, but who hasn't? I didn't start hiking until I was in my late 40s, but I still do anything I could do then. It isn't "normal" to be hitting the wall at age 52.

oldbear
04-26-2012, 23:59
Deerleg you may want to consider taking a nap in the middle of the day .

Wise Old Owl
04-27-2012, 00:12
OUCH - a Nap?

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 00:17
Ya know Deer leg,Old Bear brings a good point,and that is rest.One thing I have learned is that rest is when our body's rejuvenate and if we don't get quality sleep,again quality then we put ourselves behind the eight ball.though power naps are awesome and can darn near bring a body back from the brink.So I ask,are you sleeping well at night ? Incidental I do not sleep well,sucks to be me LOL

fudgefoot
04-27-2012, 00:18
I try to stay in shape year round by running and working out. I've shortened my daily mileage a little as I've gotten older but energy level is not usually a problem for me. If I feel like I'm bonking out on the trail, it's usually because I didn't get enough sleep or calories.

moytoy
04-27-2012, 05:47
Assuming no medical issues you can maintain a high level of energy at 53 or 63. It takes a littler more effort than it did when you were 33 though. Daily exercise and a good diet will help. Maintain enough protein in your diet to keep building muscle. Maintain enough carbs to keep energy level high. Dehydration is a major downer that can keep your energy low. I keep a 32 oz power aid bottle full of water with me all the time. Complex carbs are better than simple carbs. I make my own wheat bread and put two eggs and a couple of over ripe bananas in it. The wheat bread and a box of raisins is my snack throughout the day. I put whey protein in my coffee. I do a little weight workout at the gym most mornings and walk 6 miles in the evening. I find things to keep me motovated. Like finding pride in doing a hard days work. Like finding pride in being able to walk 6 miles in less than two hours and not being tired when I'm finished. For me, I internalize these things. I mention them here because I might be able to help a stranger. What you say to yourself and is far more important too your own well being than what you say to others.

lemon b
04-27-2012, 06:53
Weight loss always helps. Both in the pack and on the body. Some of the things we're powerless over like total miles on the feet and knees.
Walking regular helps, poles, and being reasonable. I can still knock out 15 miles; but 30 is no longer a reasonable goal. Plus that would not be enjoyable. You know the old old saying been there done that. Plus all I need to do is look around at the other 55 plus year old people I interact with on a regular basis. Few are in as good shape as a regular hiker. Lets face it body parts were not made to last forever but don't let them go to rest either.

daddytwosticks
04-27-2012, 07:18
Every one of these posts are dead on and informative in my opinion. I find that staying hydrated and eating small snacks throughout the hiking day helps to keep up my energy level. I am currently not a hammock hanger but have considered finding and carrying one of those "pocket hammocks" for power naps on the trail. Couldn't hurt! :)

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 07:28
Assuming no medical issues you can maintain a high level of energy at 53 or 63. It takes a littler more effort than it did when you were 33 though. Daily exercise and a good diet will help. Maintain enough protein in your diet to keep building muscle. Maintain enough carbs to keep energy level high. Dehydration is a major downer that can keep your energy low. I keep a 32 oz power aid bottle full of water with me all the time. Complex carbs are better than simple carbs. I make my own wheat bread and put two eggs and a couple of over ripe bananas in it. The wheat bread and a box of raisins is my snack throughout the day. I put whey protein in my coffee. I do a little weight workout at the gym most mornings and walk 6 miles in the evening. I find things to keep me motovated. Like finding pride in doing a hard days work. Like finding pride in being able to walk 6 miles in less than two hours and not being tired when I'm finished. For me, I internalize these things. I mention them here because I might be able to help a stranger. What you say to yourself and is far more important too your own well being than what you say to others.

+1 Ilike this

Ratpack
04-27-2012, 07:39
A young bull and an old bull were standing on top of a hill looking down the valley at a herd of cows. The young bull said "Let's run down there and have a date with one of those cows?" The old bull replied "Let's walk down and have a date with them all." Just keep moving and don't sweat it.

1azarus
04-27-2012, 07:41
+1 Ilike this

I didn't know rocketsocks was this smart! It does get's harder to really stay healthy as you get older...and it is more important to do so. +2 Ilike this... and the lyme test isn't a bad idea, either.

Gray Blazer
04-27-2012, 07:50
Well welcome to our world... one thing that works for me is invite a few friends - group therapy! Car pool and take two cars do a distance leg with shuttle... get out there...

If all else fails find a fit thirty something unrelated and have her out in front....

Kinda like Benny Hill. When that stops working, put someone totally undesireable to you behind you chasing you.

Stepinwolfe
04-27-2012, 08:21
See the doc. Then, if appropriate, recommend running, light weightlifting, and as much trail time as you can get in.

hikerboy57
04-27-2012, 08:27
whats the hurry? at 55 i have good days and bad, but i have learned to stop stressing out about mpd, and worry more about enjoying the ride.yes, i cant push as hard as i did 30 years ago, but i do have more stamina,and i can still put up the same mpd, just by slowing down a little more, pacing myself better, and smelling the flowers along the way.
and has lyme become the answer to every question regarding fatigue?

Deerleg
04-27-2012, 08:36
....So I ask,are you sleeping well at night ?...
Unfortunately not well at all in recent years....probably part of the equation that needs addressed. I do somewhat better if I get a good long walk in after work and and stick to a more disciplined schedule which has been challenging at times. I guess its time to get a little more committed to a better routine....thanks for the reminder.

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 08:38
whats the hurry? at 55 i have good days and bad, but i have learned to stop stressing out about mpd, and worry more about enjoying the ride.yes, i cant push as hard as i did 30 years ago, but i do have more stamina,and i can still put up the same mpd, just by slowing down a little more, pacing myself better, and smelling the flowers along the way.
and has Lyme become the answer to every question regarding fatigue?Honestly,until Lyme decease gets recognized by the insurance companies as being more prevalent than they would want to believe or care to pay for,I think a resounding Yes.Many I believe have it,or have had it and been misdiagnosed,but this is only my opinion,with no fact to back it up.

hikerboy57
04-27-2012, 08:40
hey its absolutely something to consider, i went hiking last week in the gunks, where i have never picked up a tick, and picked 3 off me .i think its going to be a bad year for ticks and lyme, just saying it seems everones quick to blame lyme. part of it is just growing older.

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 08:45
Unfortunately not well at all in recent years....probably part of the equation that needs addressed. I do somewhat better if I get a good long walk in after work and and stick to a more disciplined schedule which has been challenging at times. I guess its time to get a little more committed to a better routine....thanks for the reminder.I too fall into this catagory,and strive to do my part in keeping to some sort of routine,so that paying my doctors is not in vein.

Deerleg
04-27-2012, 08:47
... What you say to yourself and is far more important too your own well being than what you say to others.
Wow. Maybe I'm bearing my sole a little, but I'm pretty good at times at beating myself up for my short comings, thanks for the reminder to keep it positive. Your other comments are excellent and I'm inspired:).
Thanks moytoy

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 08:55
hey its absolutely something to consider, i went hiking last week in the gunks, where i have never picked up a tick, and picked 3 off me .i think its going to be a bad year for ticks and lyme, just saying it seems everones quick to blame lyme. part of it is just growing older.Yeah,I'm hearing ya,I too tried to resist the band wagon,But after some things were brought to my attention,I could no longer not take another look,who knows but time will tell,and in a day and age of big business,it's not a far reaching to think that this would be extremely damaging for any and all insurance companies.Lyme's seems to be projected to reach epidemic type proportions.....It's gonna get ugly if every one in the country can't go to work cause there to sick.

JAK
04-27-2012, 08:56
I am turning 50 in a few weeks. I plan on keeping up with the twenty and thirty year olds by cheating, i.e. staying active, drinking occassionally and in moderation, eating real food, getting my waistline back under a yard, and just saying no to unneccessary drugs, medications, suppliments, and energy drinks. When I was 20 I would take anything if I thought it would give me an edge. Now I am willing to give up anything for an edge. lol

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 09:05
I didn't know rocketsocks was this smart! It does get's harder to really stay healthy as you get older...and it is more important to do so. +2 Ilike this... and the lyme test isn't a bad idea, either.I've had good teachers and only stood on the shoulder of those that came before me,passing on the info that was freely given here.Many of us smarten up out of necessity,be dumb has come at a price,but I'm gonna have to craw fish here and drill that ole devil in the ass,tired of feeling poorly.Thanks for the complement

Pedaling Fool
04-27-2012, 09:07
Like others have said, I just stay active year-around. However, my biggest change is not to push it hard anymore on every workout. Just a steady strain and when I'm feeling weak and tired I just go through the motions and not worry about my speed/time or how much I can lift for how many reps... That (performing at a high level during every workout) seems to be a common mindset of most (and it use to be mine) and probably should be for professional athletes, but not a good mindset for the rest of us, especially as we get up in the years. Working out is to keep the body strong, no need to beat your self up during workouts, you're only beating yourself down in the long run. Just maintain activity and you'll be surprised how (when you need it) it's there and you can still perform.

Capt Nat
04-27-2012, 09:10
A lot of us can relate to this. I had a somewhat physical job and always worked with folks my age. When my last long term partner retired, I got a 26 year old young man. Before this, I honestly did not know that I was old. Running alongside him was nearly killing me. It influenced my decision to retire. When I finish the new posts, I'm headed to the fitness center for a couple of hours. It requires effort to stay healthy but I'm not going to try to be 26 anymore. It's as important to enjoy life as it is to be fit. I wouldn't push so hard that it's not fun. What good is it to die with a perfect body???

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 09:19
Like others have said, I just stay active year-around. However, my biggest change is not to push it hard anymore on every workout. Just a steady strain and when I'm feeling weak and tired I just go through the motions and not worry about my speed/time or how much I can lift for how many reps... That (performing at a high level during every workout) seems to be a common mindset of most (and it use to be mine) and probably should be for professional athletes, but not a good mindset for the rest of us, especially as we get up in the years. Working out is to keep the body strong, no need to beat your self up during workouts, you're only beating yourself down in the long run. Just maintain activity and you'll be surprised how (when you need it) it's there and you can still perform.Agreed,It's not about gaining abs,it's about maintaining the abs you have and slowing the loss.We are so bombarded by infomercials we think were all supposed to look like that guy.And the womens weight loss infomercial,well there not doing humanity any service by making women feel like there all supposed to be 5'10" and 125 lbs.way to skinny in my book.Can't say all that with out saying they are a good motivator for some,and if it works thats awesome.

q-tip
04-27-2012, 09:30
I am 56 and use a heart rate monitor. It works great for climbing hill as it helps me to keep my HR under the performance threshold--minimize standing 8-counts. I have the Suunto t4d--$150--would love to get the Vector for my CT hike this summer---just some thoughts.....

T-Rx
04-27-2012, 09:50
I am also in the over 50 group and thankful for every day of it. I do my best to remain physically active and fit but I sure can't keep up with the twenty something's any longer and don't even try to. If anyone is interested, there is a great book titled Younger Next Year that has loads of good information on how to remain healthy and active on into your 80's.

Gray Blazer
04-27-2012, 10:02
I play basketball 3 times a week at a gym. Chasing those kids around the court is a good way to keep in shape. The other team gets really POed at their team mate who is guarding me when I score. My favorite thing to hear is them yelling "Who's man is that?!?!?" Still there is nothing that will get you in shape faster than humping a 35 pound pack in the mountains day after day.

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 11:08
I am also in the over 50 group and thankful for every day of it. I do my best to remain physically active and fit but I sure can't keep up with the twenty something's any longer and don't even try to. If anyone is interested, there is a great book titled Younger Next Year that has loads of good information on how to remain healthy and active on into your 80's.Thanks for the Book tip!

Dawg
04-27-2012, 11:17
Another recommendation for the book Younger Next Year. Great book, it lays out the science behind how you can stay young for your years. The bottom line: get your heartrate up for an hour nearly every day, lift weights a couple of times a week, stay connected to people, eat well, and have goals. It takes some work, but if you do it right hiking will be one of the easier physical things you do, and certainly one of the more pleasurable.

mikec
04-27-2012, 11:19
I've noticed that I am slowing down on the trail the last few years. I think that age has something to do with it but weight is more of a factor for me. I also have started concentrating more on enjoying a hike as opposed to seeing how far or how fast that I can get there. I only have about 360 more miles to finish the AT. However, those 360 miles are in NH and ME. So they won't be easy.

miassis dragon
04-28-2012, 01:59
I am also in the over 50 group and thankful for every day of it. .

I firmly believe that by keeping my mind and spirit healthy and strong, my body responds in a positive way.

T-Rx...I too am thankful for every day of it!

Two Speed
04-28-2012, 06:31
I'm convinced humans rust out a lot faster than they burn out so staying active is a no brainer.

Besides, I get bored easily and TV has never come close to roaming around with a bunch of my nut job friends for entertainment. :)

Deerleg
04-28-2012, 15:20
... I also have started concentrating more on enjoying a hike as opposed to seeing how far or how fast that I can get there.... .
Good point. I was a college distance runner and have always enjoyed the challenge of breaking barriers and busting big miles which easily transitioned in to my AT hikes over the years...maybe its time to rethink the motivation. Ran into a guy once who said he didn't especially like hiking but loved to be on the trail...well I like both...maybe I need to learn a new slower pace and see the trail from a little different perspective. I bow hunt occasionally with my Bro and the experience of staying in one place for hours on end can be amazing. I have has birds perch on my shoulder and all kinds interesting wildlife walk right under me...the natural world can be awesome when we take time to notice.

Kerosene
04-28-2012, 15:35
I've certainly slowed a lot over the past 5 years, mostly due to my knees, which of course then contributed to a bit of weight gain that I have only recently lost. I, too, always liked to hike all day and keep track of my pace. I tend to push myself when I'm alone more than when I have a partner, especially a newbie. Lately, I've taken to hiking quickly for an hour in the morning as my "exercise", but then being satisfied with a slower, steadier, unrushed pace throughout the day. I might still eat an early dinner and hike for an hour or two into the evening, but as a sectioner my days are a bit more proscribed than for a thru-hiker with months ahead of them. My problem is that I can put in the miles and feel just fine, until a day or so later when my knees are swelling, so I have to be a bit more disciplined that I'd like.

For me, adequate hydration seems to be key to keeping up my energy level, supplemented by high glucose items throughout the day (lollipops work great and there's little danger of choking on them like you have with hard candy; I just hate to put that sticky lollipop stick back in my pocket). Also, it may take a day or two longer to get your 'hiking legs' back than it used to. I tend to find that I'm doing better by Day 3 or 4, then reach another level on Day 7 or so. Most of my hikes end soon after that, but on my two multi-week hikes I saw my appetite skyrocket about Day 10 and reached another level of fitness/cardio around Day 14 or so.

Mountain Mike
04-28-2012, 16:12
When I did the AT I was a spry 26 & hiked a bit with Mountain Goat, Vern. My pace would leave him behind on the climbs yet catch up to me on the downhills. On my PCT hike I met & hiked with some with Brice Hammock then well into his 70's & slowed down by his 30ish daughter. When I met him at an ALDHA West conference a few years later I chatted with him about his summer adventures. He said his hike that year had really beat him up. No more long distance hikes for him! Nothing over 500 miles. I think he was 82 at the time. I hope I can hike like he did, doing the tripple crown twice after retired & then some.
I guess as I get older it's just slow & steady. Linger over views & flowers. I will lay out my sleeping pad & take an extended lunch break & read in pictures stops. Maybe read a little. When I did the high Sierra of PCT I bypassed in 95 I met up with Ranger Dave. When we parted company due to resupply one of the last things he did was thanking me for reminding him how to hike "Civilized". To me now the hike is the journy. Yes completing a hike means a lot, but no longer is my primary focus. I want to hike, enjoy my surroundings, meet people & experience the local area.

rocketsocks
04-28-2012, 16:17
When I did the AT I was a spry 26 & hiked a bit with Mountain Goat, Vern. My pace would leave him behind on the climbs yet catch up to me on the downhills. On my PCT hike I met & hiked with some with Brice Hammock then well into his 70's & slowed down by his 30ish daughter. When I met him at an ALDHA West conference a few years later I chatted with him about his summer adventures. He said his hike that year had really beat him up. No more long distance hikes for him! Nothing over 500 miles. I think he was 82 at the time.Another mold breaker,hope you can follow in his foot steps.:)

Deerleg
05-11-2012, 14:54
...No more long distance hikes for him! Nothing over 500 miles. I think he was 82 at the time. I hope I can hike like he did, doing the tripple crown twice after retired & then some.

...Based on some recommendations above been reading "Younger Next Year" and while the message is not totally new it sells the importance of a higher level of vigilance for us over 50 folks if we want to enjoy our hikes like your friend in his 80's. Trying to put it into practice the last couple of weeks and now realize I had slipped a bit on the fitness level. The energy is still there, just need to work a bit more to tap into it. Amazed at how good I feel compared to 3 weeks ago!

fins1838
05-11-2012, 15:09
lymes disease & guillen berre (on the tv show HOUSE, its always guillen berre syndrome ;-)

TechNaBill
05-11-2012, 16:07
Get that pack under 15lbs with 5 days of food and 2lbs of water. I'm not there yet, but I am at 18lbs with 5 days of food and 2lbs of water.

neonshaw
05-11-2012, 16:11
i did a 70mile section in 2010, i am 53 and by the 6/7th day I was whipped. I also run 20-25 miles per week. I attribute the lack of energy to poor sleep and overly heavy leather boots that I have since changed out for lighter hikers.

I admit I cant climb up and down a ladder all day painting the house like I could when I was 25. I pay people to do that stuff now.

I dont think my overall energy level is that much less. I just takes a bit longer to recover

q-tip
05-11-2012, 16:51
testosterone supplements

AggieAl
05-11-2012, 17:08
I agree with others about a medical checkup. I was slowing down at 60. It turned out to be a tumor. They took out some of my guts and I am back on the trails at 69.

It also helps to keep eating all day and take more breaks.

Edie
05-11-2012, 20:28
Ask your doctor to do a OH-Vit D level, B-12 and testosterone levels too. Those are the three that can cause fatigue.

Hoop
05-11-2012, 20:34
Ditto Moytoy and John Gault. Had a physical lately? Lots of undetected conditions can sap stamina (e.g., Atrial Fib), lots of possibilities that can be fixed.

mikec
05-11-2012, 20:37
I've slowed down in the last few years. I attribute it to weight gain and the need to lower my pack weight. But I do believe that one needs to lower their expectations as far as mph and mpd as they hit their 60's. Most people can't bust the miles like a 20 year old.

Wise Old Owl
05-11-2012, 21:01
Every one of these posts are dead on and informative in my opinion. I find that staying hydrated and eating small snacks throughout the hiking day helps to keep up my energy level. I am currently not a hammock hanger but have considered finding and carrying one of those "pocket hammocks" for power naps on the trail. Couldn't hurt! :)

Thanks I was being pensive and coy and waiting to weigh in,,,, then u removed the doubt,,,,but that's what makes WB so much enjoyable....

burk
05-11-2012, 22:44
I know i started to slow down a little, and after some blood work found my thyroid was slowing down.