PDA

View Full Version : Need an honest answer

Thumper 2006
04-04-2005, 23:58
Alright guys it is getting to be crunch time. I need an honest, straight up, answer to the question of maildrops. Is it possible to hike the trail southbound without having any maildrops. I have looked all over this website, and am tired of reading crap saying "Oh, you dont really need maildrops, but if you want them you can use them." That seems to be the most general BS answer you get. I just want to know if it is possible. IF IT IS NOT, what certain places will I definitly need them.

Tha Wookie
04-05-2005, 00:24
Alright guys it is getting to be crunch time. I need an honest, straight up, answer to the question of maildrops. Is it possible to hike the trail southbound without having any maildrops. I have looked all over this website, and am tired of reading crap saying "Oh, you dont really need maildrops, but if you want them you can use them." That seems to be the most general BS answer you get. I just want to know if it is possible. IF IT IS NOT, what certain places will I definitly need them.
You don't need 'em. You'll live without the USPS.

A-Train
04-05-2005, 00:32
Of course it's possible. You'll just have to hitch more and be more flexible and tolerant of bad food and long waits for rides. No one's trying to give you BS or crap info, so take a deep breath and relax. Most of the info is gonna be slanted towards maildrops because that is what the majority of folks want to use. Anything is possible. A couple guys even hiked the whole trail without hitching a ride.

Mags
04-05-2005, 00:56
It ain't BS..it is the truth. There is no "paint by numbers" thru-hike. If you are looking for someone to tell you EXACTLY how to hike...well, good luck.

Read Jack's excellent re-supply advice (see the big golden arrow in the top right? You'll find it there under FEATURE ARTICLES).

If you are not picky (ramen, mac n' cheese, slim jims, ding dongs, pop tarts) you can supply just about anywhere. Vegan? Strict diet for health and/or personal reasons? Then you want a maildrop.

GENERALLY speaking, most people find they can quite comfortably "buy as you go". As you are a SoBo most of the stores will not be cleaned out. Though I hiked the AT in the semi-dark ages of 1998 (no silnylon or helium filled packs), I think it is still safe to say that many people find a mail drop at Fontana Dam, Glencliff and Monson to be useful. Everywhere else you can buy as you go. Even then you can probably eke by if you as long as you don't mind hitching and/or not too picky.

Mountain Dew
04-05-2005, 01:09
There is NO need to mail yourself packages of food. The only case where i saw that was a good idea was when F-Stop did it in 2003 so that she could have certain veggie and Jewish foods that she liked, but couldn't find on the trail.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2005, 07:35
You DO NOT need maildrops for food on a NOBO or SOBO thru-hike.

weary
04-05-2005, 08:16
It's possible. Many have done so. But this is not a black and white issue. Mail drops are a convenience. They allow you to minimize the food you carry in places like the 100-mile-wilderness in Maine.

Not using mail drops are also a convenience in that they allow you to just hike without the hassle of buying in advance. Only you can decide which is best for you. Young, strong hikers can carry a lot more than I can and survive with less stuff than I can when weather doesn't cooperate.

I went through the databook and Wingfoot's book before I left home in 1993 and listed all the possible places for resupply. I then guessed at how much food I would want to carry and when I thought resupply was needed I either bought at a store or picked up a food package from the post office.

How did I decide? If the Post Office was closer to the trail than the nearest store listed in the trail guides I chose to have a mail drop. If a store was closer I chose the store. I found the system worked pretty well. But if I ever do a long distant hike again, I'll probably use fewer mail drops, partly because as development encroaches onto the trail, stores are easier to find these days, and partly because I'm less positive about my ability to hike 2,000 miles and don't want to stock up on a lot of rice and macaroni, and such stuff. However, life is a trade off. Stuff you buy along the trail rarely comes in precise the amounts one needs. I had done quite a bit of hiking before starting in Georgia and knew pretty much what I would need for food daily. Thus my mail drops worked well. Less experienced hikers are more likely to mail either too much, too little and/or the wrong kinds of food.

I do think it is a bit cheaper to use mail drops, mostly because one can work the sales and coupons and save more than what the post office charges. I can eat for $2-$4 a day with mail drops. I can't do that using mom and pop trailside stores.

Think also of a bounce box. These are also handy for mailing ahead maps, medicines and other basics, and any extra food that you may accumulate, thus reducing pack weight.

Weary

Ender
04-07-2005, 11:48

Of course it's possible. It's the east coast. :D

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2005, 12:07
...am tired of reading crap saying "Oh, you dont really need maildrops, but if you want them you can use them." That seems to be the most general BS answer you get.
What you saw as "crap" and "BS" is actually an honest answer to your question.
Perhaps you're not asking the right question.

MOWGLI
04-07-2005, 12:30
Oh, you dont really need maildrops, but if you want them you can use them. :D

Harliekitten
04-18-2005, 14:23
I am thinking of doing 6 mail drops, mostly with hard to find food stuff, extra supplies, etc- things you might not be able to find on the trail. My thoughts are going this way- if you're already going to town, is it an inconvience to stop at the post office and get a package? Would you save money by mailing yourself some hard to find things? Since I know we're planning on going to towns every once in a while, I'm assuming an extra stop for mail won't be too much trouble. What does everyone else think?

Lone Wolf
04-18-2005, 14:35
Most POs are closed between noon Saturday and 8:30 am Monday mornings. Planning around Post Office hours suck. You're either speeding up or slowing down.

Lilred
04-18-2005, 20:08
I'm heading out for a long section June 1st. I didn't think I'd use maildrops but it turns out I will. I'm sending mail drops only to places where I'll be staying. It boils down to maximizing my down time. The less time I have to spend running around doing chores, the more time I'll have to relax. Makes the nero days less stressful.

Mags
04-18-2005, 20:31
I am thinking of doing 6 mail drops, mostly with hard to find food stuff, extra supplies, etc- things you might not be able to find on the trail. My thoughts are going this way- if you're already going to town, is it an inconvience to stop at the post office and get a package? Would you save money by mailing yourself some hard to find things? Since I know we're planning on going to towns every once in a while, I'm assuming an extra stop for mail won't be too much trouble. What does everyone else think?

As others said, you are on he East Coast. How hard is to thet a decent sized town?

Then again, like me, you are in Boulder. Perhaps you need your share of vegan organic cookies? :)

In all seriousness, if you do maildrops, try mailing it to ahostel. Get the PO hours of the equation.

If I do the AT again, I would use very little to no maildrops.

fiddlehead
04-18-2005, 21:40
Here's some that although not absolutely necessary, would be advisable (in my opinion of course: southbound: Andover Me. Glencliff NH, Bear Mt. NY, Port Clinton, PA, Harpers Ferry WV, Fontana Dam NC, Neels Gap GA.
The rest of the trail towns have a decent resupply although that depends of course on what you eat or will eat.
I'm sure you will add or subract a few but i think this answers your original question. Just keep in mind that you don't want to hit the PO's mentioned here between sat. noon and sunday night. have fun, fh