PDA

View Full Version : Minimal Planning?

rwaeger
04-27-2012, 12:02
HI, Planning a 2013 thru and was wondering what level of planning is truly necessary. I have researched gear extensively and feel like I'm in good shape there. However, the logistics of the trail seem overwhelming trying to plan out. Is it possible to just use a good guide book and wing it? I already have decided that I don't intend any prearranged mail drops with exception of swapping out warm/cold gear. What might be some things that I may want to have planned ahead of time if any?

hikerboy57
04-27-2012, 12:20
not that overwhelming, as LW says its just walking. where you need to plan ahead is thru the smokies , and then thru the Whites and Maine.

Firefighter503
04-27-2012, 14:56
Yeah there isn't a whole lot of planning needed. Have some experience with your gear, show up at Springer Mountain with 4 days worth of food and head North. Use the guidebook to figure out how far you will go each day and plan food/resupply accordingly.

hikerboy57
04-27-2012, 14:56
i would like to add, though that overplanning is part of the fun!

q-tip
04-27-2012, 15:50
I train extensively (lost 42 lbs. so far), researched gear to the max (spent $900 for lighter stuff), test everything in the field before I set out--and review maps in detail for water sources and distances between towns for resupply. 1,000 mi on the AT in 2010 taught me being over prepared is worth it. it is too late once on the trail, and for me it is the CT (500 mi) this summer the wrong gear or not fit enough could be a disaster....

bigcranky
04-27-2012, 16:00
For some hikers, planning is part of the fun. As long as you realize that the plan gets tossed out the window as soon as you hit the trail....

But yeah, you can take 4 days of food and one of the guidebooks and just start walking. It would help a lot if you do some weekend hikes with your gear ahead of time, especially in colder weather, but plenty of people have spent their first ever night in a tent on Springer Mountain in March.

Red Hat
04-27-2012, 19:15
most of my planning involved taking care of stuff at home, like bills, yardwork, mail, etc. since I live alone. I set up my bills to pay online, wrote checks for my yardman dated every two weeks (he didn't use them all in the drought), and I had my mail forwarded to my Mom.

As far as trail prep, I tore apart the AT Guide, started with maps for GA and the corresponding guide pages, then mailed myself maps and pages along the way. You can only mail ahead about a month or so, so you need someone who can do that. Get the pages and maps ready, put them in envelopes, address and stamp them, with the approx date to mail each.

Read as much as you can to get yourself psyched. I devoured trailjournals. Walk a lot. Then you are ready. Just remember that miles in the mountains are not the same as miles at home.

Bronk
04-28-2012, 01:25
Get the databook. Its about 5 bucks and really all you need. Before you leave a town make sure you have enough supplies to get you to the next one with a little bit extra as a buffer. That is all the planning that is required if you have all of your equipment...if you have the wrong equipment, you will only have to carry it for 30 miles before you reach a full service outfitter that can set you straight. A thruhike is just a series of 3 to 7 day hiking trips done back to back. If you can throw your pack in the car and stop by the store on the way to the trail for a weekend trip then you will do fine.

Acacia
04-28-2012, 04:01
the logistics of the trail seem overwhelming trying to plan out.

I have to laugh, because I too am finding the logistics of the trail overwhelming, and I'm only doing 2 weeks this June...can't even decide where to section hike :)

hunter121
04-28-2012, 04:21
That's why i love internet..it gives us free valuable information.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

jersey joe
04-28-2012, 08:00
i would like to add, though that overplanning is part of the fun!I
I'm the same way, I love to overplan. Everyone isn't like us though. Some people thrive on just figuring it out as they go along and can make that work for them.
I would guess that planning helps improve your chance of succeeding but as many have said, you don't need to plan ahead, you can figure it out as you go along.

Something else to consider is how quickly plans/intentions change once you are out there. You could be saving yourself a lot of time by not formulating a plan that goes out the window on the second day.

oldbear
04-28-2012, 08:14
For me the mental part is going to be the hardest part
I can't stand swarms of bugs
I find the very real prospect of having to hike in rain for days on end to be depressing as all H
To that end I make a habit of doing 20-30 mile bike rides in rain whenever possible .
All the other aspects of this hike are doable w/o any overkill planning on my part

jersey joe
04-28-2012, 08:18
For me the mental part is going to be the hardest part

The mental part is the hardest part for most people.

d.o.c
04-28-2012, 08:26
i planed a week long hike that turned into a thru hike.. if you got the gear and a lil food it really is just walking at that point play it as it comes i did and it worked for me ..

Grampie
04-28-2012, 09:06
There is no need to,"over plan." Take care of things at home before you leave. That will be one big consern out of the way. Read all you can about the trail. Buy a guide book of your choise. Have enough time alloted, at least 6months. , have enough money to enjoy some creture comforts along the way. Walk all you can bearfoot before you start. Most of all, hike your own hike. Happy trails to you, enjoy the experience of a life time.

Sacchoromyces
04-29-2012, 21:53
Isn't the walk itself the real reason? Too much forethought can muddy the waters. Figure out your bed, kitchen, and clothes. The rest irons itself out. A through is a process, not a destination.

SassyWindsor
04-29-2012, 22:12
A couple of examples of planning: Putting together mail drops and having a team/person responsible in sending. Have fall-back plans if the shipments need to be altered. Have accurate hike companion to be used, I usually keep an outline with me at all times, but have detailed ones shipped in mail drops as needed. I never start a long trip with untried gear and I always have several hundred miles on a pair of boots prior to starting. I would always keep another pair of broken-in boots ready to be mail dropped. Experience really helps when it comes to the planning and actually getting started. Take lots and lots of time planning at first. If you make a future of hiking, things will get much easier and you will be able to anticipate requirements for a successful hike much better. Never travel so light that you have to bum needed items/food from another hiker. Nor, so heavy that you end up leaving things on the trail or shipping back home the excess.

Blissful
04-29-2012, 22:17
Most plans are thrown out the window. As long as you have a start date (which helps with your gear ideas), gear, money, idea of your resupply, things at home, family and job are ok, you are cleared by an MD and you are mentally ready (as best you can be, that is) you are set to go.

MuddyWaters
04-29-2012, 22:18
I think what is most helpful about the detailed planning process, is not the plan itself (you are certain to deviate) , but the fact that you are gathering information and knowledge, and considering contingencies. Then, once on the trail, you are more prepared to make up a new plan when the need arises, as it surely will.

Mountain Mike
04-29-2012, 22:31
Planning an AT hike can be as little as 4 days food & go from there. Plan on some mail drops for maps/data book or do a bounce box. The first long distance hike can be intimidating. Read some journals. I recently was typing out my PCT Journal. I stopped at a restaraunt on Pine to Palms Highway for water & a meal. Talked with a guy on local rescue crew. Said we needed crampons & ice axes & snowshoes for next section. Total BS. The AT is much more forgiving. AlthoughI can plan a long distance hike in a matter of hours I still love researching it for days/week/months. Looking for side trails & sites to se on & close to trail. Just looking at maps! Kinda gets me on the trail in my mind when I am stuck in the non-hiking world.

cabbagehead
04-29-2012, 22:55
You don't need to do more than 10 hours of planning to prepare for an AT hike.

Here's what you need:

- Intelligence gathering equipment: This could be maps, a compass, a guidebook, and/or a GPS. The goal is to figure out where you are with respect to important resources (food, water, showers, shelter, a laundromat, small outfitters, and large outfitters) and decide where to get the resources. An AWOL guidebook is probably all you need for this. You might also be able to get a phone GPS.

- shelter

- water

- anything that prevents/reduces foot pain, back pain, or knee pain: poles help

- bug protection

- rain gear: Waterproof it because waterproof rain gear is often not waterproof enough.

- clothes: that which prevents hypo/hyperthermia, and protects from bugs

- a few days of nutritious food and that which protects it from animals

- If you cook cabbage you will definitely need a stove.

- Long handle spoons are great for everyone.

- a tiny knife

- a fire starting device

- a sleeping bag and drybag

- a pad/hammock

- money

- a pack

rwaeger
04-30-2012, 10:06
Thanks everyone for the input! The statement of it being a 2,200 mile hike broken in to a few days at a time really made sense to me and makes me more confident in planning as i go. As far as gear, home issues, and conditioning I'm pretty certain I'll have those things taken care of prior to leaving but of course will be ready for any surprises that can occur over a 6 month time frame.

plurpimpin
04-30-2012, 13:22
I start my ME-GA hike in 30 days and most of my planning was just getting to the trailhead in baxter. Other than that my only planning is my first resupply, from there on I will be using the Data book and figuring out things as I go.

You're better off spending your time dialing in your gear than planning an itinerary.

Montana AT05
04-30-2012, 15:23
The more I plan for a long distance hike (I've done three on the AT and two elsewhere) the less chance I have of finishing and enjoying myself.

Just head to the trail and stay flexible on everything but finishing your walk from end to end.

kidchill
04-30-2012, 18:25
Other then gear and training...my plan is to NOT plan! Most important thing is WATER!! I'm starting SOBO in July so I was kind of freaking out about the 100 mile wilderness and was trying to come up with the best plan of attack. I took out my guidebook and realized it's relatively flat, and said screw it. I can make White's Landing in a few days with flat terrain...I don't really know how people can sit there and plan their entire trip (not bagging on them, it just doesn't seem feasible for me). I feel as though there's too many variables (true terrain elements, weather, other hikers, body aches/pains, etc.). So, I'm gonna wing it...Hell, I'm still not sure if I'm just gonna hike up Katahdin and back down the same path or venture out onto Knife's edge...I'll figure it out when I summit ;)

Live_for_hiking
05-01-2012, 09:48
Most of my planning for 2013 is front loaded.

1. Resign from my job and assist with the transition. 2 months. (Boss already knows)
2. Reduce, simplify, my home and prepare it for going into storage.
3. Make travel arrangements. I think I'm going to take an overnight train.
4. Visit with friends in GA.
5. Pick up denatured alcohol and 4 days of food. (days of food will be variable depending on resupply distance).
6. Start hiking. Review Data Book daily to plan out water resupply.
7. Figure out next resupply town once I arrive at Neels. Buy needed food. Substitute Neels for name of next resupply town.
8. Repeat 5-7 as needed.

perrymk
05-02-2012, 06:18
Hike your own hike, plan your own plan.

When I go on vacation I do what I call “flexible overplanning.” That is, I plan more than I feel is going to get done on the chance something might fall through. For example, I was ferry-hopping southeast Alaska a few years ago. On a planned stop in Juneau I had a list of sites to see. No way was I going to make it to all of them. When I got to one particular museum I found it closed for renovation. I have no idea why I didn’t learn of this in advance (on the internet, etc.) but I didn’t. So I went to the next site on my list and still had a great time.

I’ve had a map of the AT on my office wall for more than 10 years. I have another 8 years to go until retirement and a thru hike. That’s the main plan. I also plan on limiting my mileage for the first week or so. While I am in fairly good condition, I suspect enthusiasm may take over and cause me to push too hard too soon. But after the first week I only hope to get at least 100 miles per week done, more if I can. I plan on a few stops. I am looking forward to visiting the AT museum and Harper’s Ferry. I plan on using mail drops, ideally in towns that the trail passes through. I plan on more time on the trail than in town, but when in town I plan on hotels rather than hostels. I plan on saying no to requests to come to my room (sleep, shower, whatever). I plan on having adequate funds to support my hike in a manner that suits me. I may not be able to swing the full time support vehicle; that part of my plan seems to be changing already. Based on a recent thread, I plan on carrying treats to give away. Call it trail magic or moocher magic or whatever; it won’t weigh much. Maybe small bags of M&Ms or peanuts or something.

Threads like this help me adjust my plan. Parts of my plan are still in the works.

Finally, if things don’t go as planned, I plan to be flexible.

Papa D
05-02-2012, 08:14
I helped a successful South bounder plan his hike in a weekend - - I've noted that some people plan every step of the trip for months and years and then quit after less than 100 miles - - you need the following (and in this order:

1) The WILL to hike and keep hiking
2) The physical - mainly aerobic conditioning to perform #1
3) The time that it will take to hike
4) Decent lightweight backpacking equipment* and trail information - - the Thru Hiker's Companion or AWOL's guide
5) Money - - probably between $4000 and $6000 depending on your speed and lifestyle on the trail.

*try to source your equipment from a small local outfitter store - not REI (if possible) and certainly not a big box like Bass Pro Shops or Dicks Sporting Goods - - don't take too much stock in what salespeople tell you unless you know that they are a bona-fide long distance hiker.

Have fun

English Stu
05-02-2012, 16:26
I did 700+ miles on my first AT section hike Daleville VA to Springer. I had to learn quickly, I saw a bear within 3 hours and sat out Hurricane Ivan's rain spin within days. From the UK bounce boxes are not on and too much hassle when I got to understand the US postal system.

I also have done the JMT, which I totally winged re permits and resupply i.e I just turned up.

I did both the hikes without a lot of planning, just an understanding of what I was getting into. I did do a 100 miler before each to get some confidence for multiday tarping, walking and eating.

Big lessons were to be flexible on mileage and time, travel light, learn to manage food,water,fuel and take a zero day a week to enjoy the hiking towns and have a rest.

I usually set several targets so you always go away achieving something, even if things change. With my first hike I set three targets -200 miles completion,get through the Smokies and Springer. I found that after I replied Springer 100 times to the question 'Where are you heading' there was nowhere else I was going.

Jim Adams
05-02-2012, 18:29
Get a data book and lock the door behind you!

geek