PDA

View Full Version : Good Backpack for 60-70lb loads

snarbles
04-05-2005, 00:01
I'm planning a 5-6day trip in Big Bend where it is a dry area. This requires carrying a water capacity of 25lbs (5-6 liters) + about 10lbs of food (rough estimate). Obviously my ULA P2 will just not do and I am looking into an external frame back, or an internal that can hold this large starting weight capacity. Most of my gear is light-ultralight, but often we also split up group gear so thus the extra 10lbs + volume. Any ideas on a backpack for this type of trip?

Pencil Pusher
04-05-2005, 01:12
Isn't there a big river there? Well maybe you could plop the water on a transport, like a folding kayak wheel thing-a-ma-jig, and just tow the sucker along. Or since it's getting to be close to the hot-as-hell season, hike in the morning and evening and spend the days either sleeping or wondering why the heck it's so hot. If it is hotter than sin and your sorry-butt is out there hiking amongst the mesquite, three gallons (~25lb) would probably be good for 3-4 days. I'd opt for the old-skool external frame for that kind of load. And separate containers too, in case of spillage... Long sleeve shirt and pants, even during the day.

Wait... I'm doing the math here, assuming referenced specs: 25 water, 10 food, 10 gear, equals 50ish weight with pack. Internal frame pack... only because I'm biased and don't like my external much.

snarbles
04-05-2005, 01:23
Trip isn't until October so it shouldn't be too hot. I have heard there is a possible water source along the way, but it is not guaranteed and also the park prefers people leave it for the wildlife (just what I heard). Currently I'm looking into the Kelty Super Tioga since external frame will probably be more affordable and still hold heavy loads for weeklong trips very well. Still looking for other suggestions or opinions on the Super Tioga.

Mountain Dew
04-05-2005, 01:24
Snarbles, You definetly want to contact the Park Rangers down there and ask them some questions about water in the areas in which you plan on being. I wouldn't go in Big Bend without good maps which are likely for sale by the park at some location. The best advice I can give you is to not take so much or plan out your hike closer to the rivers down there. I believe there is a giant loop trail that passes water in the park. ok if you really want an answer then try to Kelty 50th anniversary pack. It can handle loads of that size with a reasonable amount of "discomfort". I started a hike in 2003 with 73 lbs in that pack and it carried it pretty well. Though I'd NEVER advise doing so yourself the pack is a best at carrying monster loads. Oh..btw...they don't make it any more, but i'm sure you could find one left online at an outfitter webpage or on ebay. Somebody on WB was offering theirs for sale a few days ago even. Good luck and hike safe fellow Texan !

ps...you can find a super tioga at my work www.mountainsports.com for less than anywhere else on the web I'd pretty much promise you.

snarbles
04-05-2005, 01:36
Cool thanks :)

The trip I'm planning is actually a part of the local Sierra Club here in Texas. So I'm pretty much stuck with the routes they are planning. All I know is they said I needed to carry alot of water. I'll try to get more details from them about pack size. One of the guys who had done it with them owned a Super Tioga.

Mountain Dew
04-05-2005, 01:42
Without knowing your backpacking experience I will simply advise you to go as light as possible and to do a 5-10 mile hike with that much weight on your back before you go so that you understand just how that much weight "weighs" once on your back. I'm confident that once you do this that you will find a "better way" to carry what water/food you must without carrying 70+ pounds. If somebody in the group has done this hike before pick their brain tio peieces for info on what they use.

squirrel bait
04-05-2005, 08:13
I have an older Kelty external (the blue one) that I bought from a member here at WB and it handles that type of load with ease. How you'll do I have no idea, it is a heavy load bro. Can't help ya there. Good luck on your hike.

Jaybird
04-05-2005, 08:24
WOW!

a 70 lb LOAD???????? :-?

GOOD LUCK ON YER HIKE!

TDale
04-05-2005, 08:56
Depending on what size pack you wear, I have a Kelty that may fit the bill for your trip. E-mail me if you're interested.

snarbles
04-05-2005, 09:48
Ok, maybe 70lbs was a bit exagerated, but 50lbs is not.

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2005, 09:54
I've carried 50-70 pounds in an Osprey many times.

I suggest you look at the Crescent 70 or 85, and maybe the larger packs in their Aether series.

For more information, see www.ospreypacks.com

RockyTrail
04-05-2005, 11:01
I've carried up to 60 lbs no problem using a Kelty Trekker 4200 c.i. (the red and black one) on some long dry legs in New Mexico. It is very similar to the Tioga. Kelty changes their styles a lot, but the basic Trekker or its clones has been around a long time. You can find them new for about $99 sometimes.

One of my co-workers a former Army Ranger says they used to train with 90lb packs all the time, even run with them, so it can be done!

"ME & U"
04-05-2005, 11:06
Have both internals and externals. The first rocks with small light loads, the second is totally geared for big weight. I have a Kelty west coast and a Dana designs K2. if i was banking on big H2O wt I'd use the K2. It's huge and I'd have to pack some fluff but the frame in insane, and the load lifter bars (not straps) are unbelievable for transfering wt! By the way... I custom fit the kelty bag to fit the K2 frame and this rig is a sweet set up for what sounds like a heavy load for you.... you can't have it!:D

A buddy of mine has the terraplane by Dana designs. These guys have it going on with regard to big weight.
They are a bit pricier than Keltys though.
search out a west coast. The strap system is different that the trekkers/ tiogas ect...

"ME & U"
04-05-2005, 11:12
Depending on what size pack you wear, I have a Kelty that may fit the bill for your trip. E-mail me if you're interested. I work at an outfitter and if you go for it and need new straps to fit the bill, call on me to hook you up after the fact. Freebies:D

mumblez
04-05-2005, 11:18
Check here for some good deals on Kelty packs:

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/index.php

Sly
04-05-2005, 11:49
More like 10 to 12.

I bought the P-2 expressly for the CDT knowing full well I'd be carring 5-6 liters often and packing up to 9 days of food. With a base weight of 16-18lbs (it's a cold trail) the pack handled the heaviest loads (40 lbs or more) well.

You need to "Tuckerize" rather than look for a bigger, heavier pack.

Gacy
04-05-2005, 11:52
go with the kelty commanchee 6400 series it was based off the red cloud line of internal frames and made only for gander mountain you can get one brand new for $107.48.:D

The Will
04-05-2005, 11:56
snarbles, considering packs that carry big loads, I believe that the upper end packs made by Osprey, Gregory and Dana distinguish themselves from the rest. IMHO, nothing carries a load like a Dana Designs Terraplane, however, just as with boots, fit is of the upmost importance and I would encourage you to do some comparative shopping.

I spent 10 days in Big Bend over New Years...you are definitely in store for a grand time in a phenomenal local. If you have questions I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

Regarding water, your route is important. You mentioned that this was a Sierra Club trip...if this is a trip around the Outer Mountain Loop (I'm assuming here, based on this being one of the most popular routes in the park) than there are places to cache water along the way.

snarbles
04-05-2005, 12:00
More like 10 to 12.

I bought the P-2 expressly for the CDT knowing full well I'd be carring 5-6 liters often and packing up to 9 days of food. With a base weight of 16-18lbs (it's a cold trail) the pack handled the heaviest loads (40 lbs or more) well.

You need to "Tuckerize" rather than look for a bigger, heavier pack.
Ok, my weight calculations may be off, then I'm guessing I may need from 10-12 liters then instead of 5-6. All I know is that the guy I was talking to said I would need about 25lbs of water.

Sly
04-05-2005, 12:11
... we need more info. :dance

How many miles, how many days, how many miles between water, etc., etc., etc.? :sun

smokedog
04-05-2005, 15:27
I have a Dana Terraplane Overkill that I have been using as a training pack with a 75 lb load. This is a super pack, but too heavy for most of us. I bought the pack in 1998 but haven't used it on the trail in several years. I would sell it, if you're interested send me a private message.

digger51
04-06-2005, 01:47
Run down to Killeen at Ft Hood and check out the General Jackson , Ranger Bob, or Calvary stores. They have the military rucksack that handles those loads very well. And for a few dollars extra you can have them custom designed with extra pockets the size and location you want to carry all that extra water.

snarbles
04-14-2005, 18:01
OK, I was wrong about the water needed for this hike. I need to carry 3 gallons of water which is closer to 24lbs. We will be about 5 days and hiking up some hill top that I don't know the name of. The leader suggested I get a "dromedary" to hold large amounts of water.

So that would be 25lbs + gear

My base weight in my ULAP2 is 20lbs (I'm trying to go lighter, but in time)

So that's why I need a pack that can hold the large volume of water :D

Stoker53
04-14-2005, 18:10
I've carried a Camp Trails Omega for several years and it works well. It's an out of production ext frame. You'll have to find a used one.

It will carry more stuff than you can.

Tabasco
04-15-2005, 08:12
...the pack you want is an Arc Teryx Bora 95. I have carried 80 lbs in it, and it feels more like 40-50. The suspension and hipbelts are quite simply, IMO, the very best in the business for carrying HEAVY loads. It is an insanely expensive pack, last time I checked it was $ 450 ish.

plodder
04-15-2005, 09:26
How many times you gonna use this pack? Big Bend is cool, but not $450 pack cool. Bum an old external, look at Campmor, or rent? Can't see humping 3 gallons, but I was there in Feb.

Scribe
04-15-2005, 09:48
I have a Kelty Super Tioga and it could easily handle that sort of load. The key is VOLUME usually stated cubic inches - for instance, the Super Tioga is rated for 6000 cubic inches (which translates into about 70 lbs.)

I have used the Super Tioga for 7-10 days trips with up to 50 lbs (on cold-weather trip). 70 lbs would fit, but would you be able to lift it and carry it all day?

When I went on the AT, I did NOT use the external-frame Super Tioga, but a lighter internal frame with much less volume. Mostly I did this to force myself to cut back on stuff. (It worked, my FTSO load was about 35 lbs.)

jags
04-15-2005, 19:19
REI OUTLET has some packs and tents on sale right now that could be of interest to you.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/index.html?stat=header_outlet

Jags

HikerHobo
04-15-2005, 21:14
I've spent most of my life in Texas... Lots of backpacking.
Water is the biggest problem in hiking Texas. Spent four days in Big Bend National Park once.
Carried three gallons of water. 24lbs water plus gear.
It gets cold there at nignt too, adding to pack weight.
I used a Dana Terraplane monster pack for these big loads. Love this pack..
check it out for big load comfort.

snarbles
05-04-2005, 22:28
Looks like I'm leaning towards an Osprey Aether 90. It can hold 50lb and only weighs about 5.5lbs. Need to find one at a local store and load it up first though to see if it really can hold the wieght.

snarbles
05-06-2005, 14:52
Turns out the Aether won't fit me :( I have a 24" torso so that puts me in the X-Large pack sizes. Leaning towards a Osprey Crescent 85 or a Dana Design Terraplane.

gr8fulyankee
05-06-2005, 15:53
I'd look at the Northface Catalyst75, 5500 cubic inches.
I have a NorthFace bag simular to this but about 9 years older and I still use it everytime I am hiking. You could fit a body in this and nobody would know.
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=3529

SunnyWalker
02-18-2009, 23:46
Kelty Continental Divide 5300.
No water available. Unless you are on the river. But last year when I was there (go every year) the Rio Grand river was not running, believe it or not. This is not something too fool with. You can die there. Park rangers recommend one gallon a day per person. I have got by with less but I was VERY careful. On the longer hikes available I know folk who cache water jugs. I have never filtered out of Rio Grand. I just mentally can't trust my filter system (Sweetwater) because of what I have seen "dumped" into the river. I always wear just what I am wearing and all else (room) goes for water/food, prettry much. (Outside of tent/tarp, etc.) Hope this helps. It is beautiful beyond description. Worth the effort. Least visited Nat'l park in the USA. Only one with its own self contained Mtn range. The primere hike in TX is up into the Mtns. Do all of them. Stay overnight for sunset and sunrise. Don't hike until sun is up as Mtn lions are there. If you doubt you'd have a problem go to panther Junction and take a look at the Mtn Lion display/info they have. Nothing to play with that's for sure. Are you a birdwatcher? This is one of the great places in USA for birdwatching. birds fly up from south and split after BB and go East or West. Have a great time. ps.-showers only at Rio Grande Villiage.

SunnyWalker
02-18-2009, 23:49
Snarbles: Also, Only visit BB in Spring, fall or winter. You probably already know this. Sorry.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2009, 00:11
I like your idea of carrying some heavy weight. The Danas are great packs but they're not made anymore, at least by Gleason, although Marmot might be selling Terraplane/Astralplane knockoffs. Terraplanes have a tendency to sag under weight, let's say any more that 65 pounds, and so are not a perfect choice for 70 or more pounds.

The externals will work with weight but most of them just don't have the 6500-7000 cubic inch volume needed for hauling, even with stuff tied to the outside. I used an Ultra Tioga for several trips carrying around 70 pounds and it was rough on the hips tho not all users will agree.

Push comes to shove I'd go with an external, they're cheap(er)and can haul whatever you decide to lash to them. The big internals are bit more finicky and pricier, like the Crescents/Boras/Denali Pros, etc. The best heavy hauler of them all? I'm biased, but it's gotta be Mystery Ranch G-6000/G-7000 series. It's the only pack I've ever used that can haul 70-80 pounds and I don't feel any "hot spots" or "I wanna quit!" thoughts. And after a long trip when it's at 45-50 pounds, well, it feels like a daypack.

WritinginCT
02-19-2009, 00:20
As far as externals go (and comparing similar cubic inches)- the Jansport's are lighter than the Keltys.

The Jansport Carson is a 4900 c.i. pack and weighs 4lbs 13oz
The Kelty Super Tioga is a 4900 c.i. pack and weighs 6lbs 7oz

And the Carson is on sale right now at Campmor for $70

In my fanatical online research I've only ever seen positive comments about the Carson.

Just sharing what I've found- folks with more experience may have reasons for the heavier Keltys, I don't know.

garlic08
02-19-2009, 00:41
Removed post, not applicable (four years old).

Alligator
02-19-2009, 00:47
The question was asked almost 4 years ago;).

NCYankee
02-19-2009, 10:00
IMHO, nothing carries a load like a Dana Designs Terraplane,

Exactly what I was going to chime in with. My 15 year old DD Terraplane is a heavy beast at 8lbs but there is not another pack in the world that I would carry when my load breaks a 45lb threshold or more (I've had 80lbs in there and while it was heavy, the pack is comfortable).

You can easily find them on Ebay, sometimes at a heck of a bargain, or you can drop a lot of cash and invest in Dana's new packs, Mystery Ranch. Very cool stuff...

NCYankee
02-19-2009, 10:01
The question was asked almost 4 years ago;).

Exactly what I was going to chime in with. My 15 year old DD Terraplane is a heavy beast at 8lbs but there is not another pack in the world that I would carry when my load breaks a 45lb threshold or more (I've had 80lbs in there and while it was heavy, the pack is comfortable).

You can easily find them on Ebay, sometimes at a heck of a bargain, or you can drop a lot of cash and invest in Dana's new packs, Mystery Ranch. Very cool stuff...

Wish I had noticed it was 4 years old before I typed that reply...

Frick Frack
02-19-2009, 10:21
I've carried 50-70 pounds in an Osprey many times.

I suggest you look at the Crescent 70 or 85, and maybe the larger packs in their Aether series.

For more information, see www.ospreypacks.com (http://www.ospreypacks.com)

I second this....my Aether is capable of 50-60, maybe 70 lbs (?never been there?) and a darn good pack. I have an old Lowe Contour IV laying around that can carry everything plus the kitchen sink.....