PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro Section Hike

Grumble
04-27-2012, 16:12
I plan so celebrate the beginning of summer break with two quiet weeks of walking. My wife will be dropping me off in Harpers Ferry and picking me up 14 days later in Waynesboro. How many days worth of food do you folks recommend carrying out of Harpers Ferry? What will be the next good resupply points? Front Royal and then Camp stores in SNP?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sugarfoot
04-27-2012, 16:24
Front Royal and the waysides in the SNP work fine. There isn't a great selection at the waysides, but if you figure on a meal at Skyland and a meal at Big Meadows and taking advantage of at least a couple of the waysides, you really don't need to carry a full day's food for each day. Don't miss a Mountain Blackberry Shake!

Furlough
04-27-2012, 17:41
Front Royal and the waysides in the SNP work fine. There isn't a great selection at the waysides, but if you figure on a meal at Skyland and a meal at Big Meadows and taking advantage of at least a couple of the waysides, you really don't need to carry a full day's food for each day. Don't miss a Mountain Blackberry Shake!

I guess I was a glutton. In addition to Big Meadows and Skyland I had a meal at Loft Mtn Wayside and Elkwallow wayside too.:sun Plus bought minimal re-supply (ramen, oatmeal, snack food, and other grocery items as available) at Loft Mtn Camp store, Lewis Mtn Campstore and Elkwallow Wayside campstore.

Grumble - I hiked from Waynesboro to FR and FR to HF South to North (2 seperate trips). I carried 5 days of food between FR and HF. Stayed overnight at Bears Den Hostel and bought pizza, ben and jerrys and Dr. Pepper for dinner.

Furlough

Kerosene
04-28-2012, 09:25
I did two section hikes also to cover this section, similar to Furlough with similar re-supply points. You can avoid carrying a lot of food if you fuel up at the waysides.

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2012, 09:32
I've never resupplied, other than eating at the waysides, in that very same section.

Blissful
05-02-2012, 19:49
You can send a drop to Bears Den hostel, so you don't have to carry much at all up the hill from Harper's Ferry

johnnybgood
05-02-2012, 21:03
I did two section hikes also to cover this section, similar to Furlough with similar re-supply points. You can avoid carrying a lot of food if you fuel up at the waysides. Yep ! just be aware of closing times.

You can send a drop to Bears Den hostel, so you don't have to carry much at all up the hill from Harper's Ferry Correct. Check out the Apple House on Rt.55 in Linden. try the apple cinnamon donuts... yummy !

The Old Chief
05-02-2012, 21:27
I would leave Harpers Ferry with 4 days of food. At Hwy 55, the Linden PO is about a mile to the right and I would have 4 days of food waiting for me there. Within two days of Hwy 55 you'll be hitting the first wayside where you can eat to your heart's content and pick up more food if you need to. Eat at Skyland the next day. The next day eat at Big Meadows wayside and re-supply as needed. The same day brings you to Lewis Mtn Campground that has some hot food and light re-supply and hot showers. The next day you will go by Loft Mtn Campground which has light re-supply, showers, and some hot food. The wayside is about a mile down the entrance road from the campground store. You should be within two days of Waynesboro when you leave the campground.

Blissful
05-02-2012, 21:48
I would leave Harpers Ferry with 4 days of food. At Hwy 55, the Linden PO is about a mile to the right and I would have 4 days of food waiting for me there.

Someone said the Linden post office is closed - ? Check on that. Maybe not if they passed the budget for it last week. Call ahead

Blissful
05-02-2012, 21:52
I would leave Harpers Ferry with 4 days of food. At Hwy 55, the Linden PO is about a mile to the right and I would have 4 days of food waiting for me there.

Hauling four days of food is really tough up from Harpers' Ferry, over rocks, and over the the rollercoaster, imo. Esp as you can get food from a small drop at Bears Den plus eat there too (or at the restaurant down the road), requiring little food. Why torture yourself?