PDA

View Full Version : unconventional flip-flopping thru-hikes?

Joshism
04-27-2012, 23:20
I know most thru-hikers got north one-way (Springer to Katahdin). I'm also aware of the southbound strategy (Katahdin to Springer) and the basic flip-flopping strategy (Springer to WV/MD/PA area then fly/drive to Kathadin and head south the the point where you left the trail).

Has anyone ever tried some kind of unconventional flip-flopping on a thru-hike? Like start in the middle somewhere, go north to Katahdin, then either go back to either northbound or southbound the southern section you skipped over?

Rockie
04-27-2012, 23:55
That's my plan. I'm starting in the middle going North. Hopefully I'll make it, then go back to the middle and head for Georgia. Logistically speaking, that's what works out best for me.

LDog
04-28-2012, 09:15
Check out ATC's page for a bunch of alternative ideas:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Having injured my knee on a spring nobo attempt, I'm looking at getting back on the trail in June or July. If I'm ready to tackle Maine and NH in early June, I may start there and hike sobo. If not, I'm more likely to start in either Waynesboro or Harpers Ferry, and hike north to Katahdin. Then I'll return to my starting point and hike south to Springer.

Odd Man Out
04-28-2012, 09:36
What the ATC site calls "Head Start May" or sometimes called "inside out" gets promoted a bit here on WB. This is HF-ME/HF-GA.

Many big advantages:
You get two climax finishes, Katahdin and Springer
You get to start on an easy part of the trail with mild weather.
HF is very accessible.
Avoid hottest part of the trail in mid summer.
Also avoid black flies in ME (if you time it right)
Hike south with the fall colors.
Hike with NoBo's at the beginning and SoBo's at the end.

Grampie
04-28-2012, 09:46
The big problem you will face is: 1, You will meet a bunch of folks that will become friends. When you flip you will leave them all. 2. Once you hike NOBO to Katahdin from the middle of the trail you will not have the fortude to go back and do the remaining part you didn't hike.
I flipped from Duncanon and I was sorry that I did.

oldbear
04-28-2012, 11:13
Although Harpers Ferry is the literal and spiritual halfway point of the AT , the Delaware Water Gap is actually a better get on / get off place
The reason I say that is bc from DWG there is regularly scheduled bus service -( Martz does the trip about 25 x a day ) - that will get you into the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan in under 90 minutes
Once at PABT you can quickly and cheaply get to all 3 NYC airports and 2 train stations using public transportation or sole power in the case of Penn Station and possibly Grand Central

LDog
04-28-2012, 12:05
There's an Amtrak station in Harper's Ferry on the Capitol Limited line between Chicago and Washington, DC. I can get there from western Michigan for $109.

map man
04-28-2012, 18:07
Here's a plan I have kicked around that attempts to avoid really hot or cold weather. Start at Harpers Ferry in early April and hike towards Springer, hopefully arriving there in early June. There will be some sub-freezing nights at the beginning but not as bad as the traditional NOBO spring start -- you wouldn't have to tackle the high elevations of GSMNP until late May, hopefully after any winter-like conditions.

Then sit out the hottest two months of summer before setting out again from Katahdin in early August, getting through the White Mountains in NH before Labor Day. Hopefully, finish at Harpers Ferry in mid-October. This plan assumes that you are a little quicker than average, spending just 4.5 months hiking. You would see most NOBOs twice in your hike, each time going the opposite direction they are. One thing about this hike -- you had better enjoy hiking alone because you might have company at night near shelters with some NOBO thru-hikers during some parts of the hike, but other parts you will be on your own.