PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in GA needs help.

tacomakid01
04-28-2012, 00:07
I haven't had a chance to venture out onto the trail just yet, but next weekend I have to be in the Cleveland/Clarkesville GA area and looking for advice on the best section to possibly hike. I will have to be there Thursday morning and will have 2 nights to camp before heading back home on Saturday. I have done some hiking, but I don't know how much trail I can actually cover in 2-3 days. So I would like to keep the trip sort of small. Would it be better to drive over to Springer Mtn and start there or take a different section? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sherpa Master
04-28-2012, 00:25
Staring out I would say Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap. It's a relatively easy section with great views and good water availability. My 11 and 13 year old sons made it through this section over spring break. Coming out of springer you have some nice ups and downs that I would not have wanted to tackle on a first trip. Carry trekking poles for the rocky downhill sections. Have a great trip where ever you go. Hike your own hike and remember the trail is the destination not the campsites.

chip2012
04-28-2012, 06:38
That's great that you are heading to the mountains but don't limit yourself to just the A.T. You may want to start with a loop. Maybe check out vogel state park which also has a trail up blood my. Black rock mountain is also a good choice. Also the warwoman dell area is one of my favorites and were I usually always take beginners. :D. Enjoy your hike! Questions or possible hiking buddy pm me.

Pixelgator
04-28-2012, 07:32
Check out Panther Creek.

Red Hat
04-28-2012, 09:57
My suggestion is to go southbound from Unicoi to Neels Gap (20.2 miles). Park at Unicoi. After an initial climb (1.5mi from Unicoi), it is very nice trail, a roadwalk along an old forest road all the way to Low Gap. There are three shelters: Blue Mountain (2.2mi from Unicoi), Low Gap (9.4 mi from Unicoi), and Whitley (14 miles from Unicoi). There are numerous other places to camp. You can end up at Neel Gap and enjoy Mountain Crossings store. If you find yourself a bit behind, you can also end at Hogpen Gap (13.8 miles). This section is probably the easiest in GA. Just remember that there are no "easy" parts, just some less difficult than others.

You'll need a shuttle back to your car, and I'd be happy to do so. Just message me here to make arrangements.

tacomakid01
04-28-2012, 17:58
Thanks for all of the replies. I am about to start looking at all of the suggestions. And Red Hat, thanks for the offer. I may shoot you a message later.

tacomakid01
04-28-2012, 23:52
Now I understand that there are parts of the trail that require a bear cannister right now. I do not have one nor do I want to purchase one and maybe not need it again. Would any of these suggested trails or trips require me to have a cannister?

Pixelgator
04-29-2012, 06:07
No, canister required between Neel Gap and Jarred Gap (Blood Mountain)

fredmugs
04-29-2012, 09:29
It's been a long time but can't you do a loop from Deep Gap around Standing Indian and over Albert Mtn? I seem to recall that's like 27 miles or so. Deep Gap is easily accessible from a forest road and there's also a campground nearby one of the shelters as I recall.

waasj
04-29-2012, 10:00
You can loop Standing Indian (just over the GA/NC line). I would park in the campground parking since it is more secure and the drive in is paved as opposed to Forest Service gravel (easier on the car). There are several blue blazes up to the trail, so the mileage options are many. Also, several shelters and good campsites, and a fire tower too.

Other options are the Three Forks area, and the Cahuttas. Forest Service trails and the Benton MacKay Trail run al through that area and link up to the AT. I'll also throw in Blood Mountain. If you can borrow a bear canister, the hike from the south is not too crazy and the view from the top is spectacular. One of my favorite places to wake up!!!

And I will also back up the statments about Neel's to Unicoi (or Unicoi to Neel's). Nice stretch of trail that is a great starting hike. Just challenging enough to get a feel for the trail without blowing you out of the water. The most important thing is to get out there and do it! Have a great hike.

yellowsirocco
04-29-2012, 14:19
my vote is for Standing Indian loop as well. That is where I take noobs. Terrain is not bad and the views are great. There are also plenty of side trails to customize the trip to the length you want.