PDA

View Full Version : Yoga anyone?

Rockie
04-28-2012, 14:17
I'm wondering if anyone incorporates a yoga practice into their hike and, if so, I'd love to hear about it. Also, I'm interested in finding any yoga studios in the towns near the trail that might be good places to stop for a class. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

ATMountainTime
04-29-2012, 09:35
I take Yoga 2-3 times a week. I think it helps me ALOT. Stronger balance, ankles, kees, better breathing. It seems to help alot.

mirabela
04-29-2012, 09:52
I've definitely known some people to make that a part of their daily routine out there, or at least a few times weekly.

If I were to do another thru-hike, I'd definitely incorporate some sort of a practice to maintain upper body strength, as I found I really atrophied from the waist up. Yoga would be a good idea.

LadybugPicnic
04-29-2012, 10:24
I love yoga! I hope to hike the AT next year and I plan on practicing yoga 30 minutes a day to maintain my strength and flexibility. Plus it just feels good :)

Driver8
04-29-2012, 10:51
I do yoga about once a week, lately, and am very fond of it. Haven't done it on trail yet, but the idea has occurred to me and a friend who teaches it - she may have on some of her hikes.

Trail towns which have yoga, or might, that come to mind (* - a town that probably has a lot of yoga offerings):
Hiawassee, GA
*Franklin, NC
*Gatlinburg, TN
Hot Springs, NC
Erwin, TN
Damascus, VA
*Blacksburg, VA
Pearisburg, VA
*Roanoke, VA
*Waynesboro, VA
*Charlottesville, VA
Any town over 5,000 population on I-81, VA
*Harpers Ferry, WV
*Harrisburg, PA
Duncannon, PA
Schuylkill Haven, PA
*Reading, PA
*Kent, CT
Falls Village, CT
*Salisbury, CT
*Great Barrington, MA
*Lee, MA
*Dalton, MA
*Pittsfield, MA
Cheshire, MA
Adams, MA
North Adams, MA
*Williamstown, MA
*Bennington, VT
*Stratton Resort Village, VT
*Manchester, VT
*Rutland, VT
*Hanover, NH
Gorham, NH
Stratton, ME

Sarcasm the elf
04-29-2012, 11:05
I only started practicing yoga a few months ago, however I have always tried to spend time stretching at the end of each day's hike. When I'm on a longer section hike, twenty minutes of stretching work in the afternoon makes a huge difference in the way I feel the next morning.

This year I intend to include a number of yoga poses onto my afternoon stretch. I'll most likely do it on the shelter floor or the ground, it's just too bad that there's no way my Z-rest would stand up to the abuse.

Driver, that's a great list, but how the heck did you have that info readily available?

louisb
04-29-2012, 12:09
I do yoga twice a week as part of my regular workout routine. Not sure I would do it regularly on the trail but maybe when the mood struck me.

--louis

Rockie
04-29-2012, 13:09
Please keep the suggestions, advice and other input coming! Driver8, the list of towns is great and I'm wondering how you came to it. I'm reaching out to the yoga community at large in an effort to locate possible classes that would be willing to facilitate my efforts. I'm not in any hurry and plan to enjoy my time on the trail. I'm going to document my adventures with the possibility of writing an article or something when I'm done. Thanks, and Namaste!

Live_for_hiking
04-29-2012, 13:26
I recently started to pick up on Yoga. I found my back and shoulders have shown the most improvement (fewer issues). Improved flexibility has been nice. I truly believe the sooner you pick up yoga, or other stretching and strength routines, the more likely you will enjoy physical activities for a longer period of time in your older years. I certainly wish I had taken the time to try yoga earlier ....

I intend on doing some yoga on the trail when I go. Hopefully, I'll be holding poses correctly by then!

Edit: One of my luxury items is the GG thin pad that can be used to sit on, or do some yoga! It acts like another R-value layer for colder nights too. I also got invisibile shoes (sandles) that weigh little and can be used to help keep traction while doing yoga outdoors.

WingedMonkey
04-29-2012, 13:33
I've done it on long hikes for years, along with stretching and self massage (basics from an ashram years ago). Usually in private, rather than explain it to others.

Would never think of going into a town for a group class.

Rockie
04-29-2012, 14:02
WingedMonkey, you say you'd never think of going into a town for a class. I'm wondering if it's just because it hadn't occurred to you or for some other reason. I'm interested in all that info. I realize the appearance of hikers, and even the aroma might be off-putting. But my experience with yoga folks is that they are accommodating and understanding and surely washing up first would help.

Kerosene
04-29-2012, 16:19
Not yoga, but I was somewhere between Dragon's Tooth and Pearisburg when I turned a corner to find a guy meditating in lotus position in the middle of the trail. I think I had been singing to myself and apologized for interrupting his reverie as I squeezed past.

As for yoga, or any other exercise, I always think that I should keep up with some basic calisthenics but I never do.

LadybugPicnic
04-29-2012, 18:39
If you're willing to carry an extra pound, Gaiam sells a travel yoga mat that folds up into a little square - http://www.gaiam.com/product/reversible+travel+yoga+mat.do?SID=WG128SPRTAPEMACS&extcmp=cse_froogle I am trying to come up with an alternative ultralight version or maybe just not carry one at all and simply use the ground.

Spokes
04-29-2012, 18:47
I thought this was a thread about how to get free food and treats from unsuspecting tourists. Yeah, I know....... That's Yogi.

Pedaling Fool
04-29-2012, 19:17
Yoga is a very nasty, sweaty, stinky activity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcGJ-s9508)

Driver8
04-30-2012, 10:10
Driver, that's a great list, but how the heck did you have that info readily available?

Thanks, elf - I don't know that the towns I said would likely have a lot of offerings in fact do, but most of them are either college towns, relatively large or relatively well off, making it a good bet that they'll have plenty of yoga classes.

Come to think of it, if one were doing the 2183 mile trek, I think a yoga class or two on the occasional zero day would be a great idea - I'm glad Rockie started this thread.

Driver8
04-30-2012, 10:21
Driver8, the list of towns is great and I'm wondering how you came to it.

Thanks, Rockie - I've read a lot about the trail and know its geography pretty well, so I know most of the significant towns along the trail. And as I said to sarcasm the elf, there's a bit of educated guessing in my starring certain towns as being likely to have good yoga offerings, but most of the starred towns, I'm confident, are safe bets.

There are likely some good towns along the trail in NY State, too, but I don't know as well which precise towns the trail passes near - funny, given that I'm next door in Connecticut. I also list nothing in New Jersey - I don't know what towns, exactly, the trail passes near there, either, though I understand it mostly runs through backcountry.

I would say that since doing good quality yoga work along your hike is important to you, to take care especially to look into some towns which are further than usual walking distance from the trail and see if there are yoga community folk there who would shuttle you into town and back - Charlottesville, Blacksburg and Winchester, VA come to mind, Harrisburg and Reading, PA, Rutland, VT. And though it's pretty far, I bet Asheville, NC would have an awesome yoga community and might have some people willing to come get you.

Spokes
04-30-2012, 13:47
Yoga is good. I was fond of doing Five treasures Qigong (http://nqa.org/2008/11/five-treasures/)on my thru. Simple, easy, meditative..........

rocketsocks
04-30-2012, 15:08
Yoga is good. I was fond of doing Five treasures Qigong (http://nqa.org/2008/11/five-treasures/)on my thru. Simple, easy, meditative..........
+1 on the Qigong,while I haven't kept up with it....I never felt bad afterward or that it was a waste of time.Tia chi Short form for me.

Montana AT05
04-30-2012, 15:19
Sometimes I stretch in the morning, usually not.

And if I strike a pose that can be related to a dog, it's behind a bush.

Rockie
04-30-2012, 23:25
Thanks for all the good input. I really wish I had more time to plan this out better but only recently thought about taking classes along the way. I also wish I'd known about the travel mats as I guess, at this point, I'll be using an extra gallon sized ziploc bag! Hopefully I'll be able to work out the logistics as I go. Once in Vermont I have a yoga friend who will help out and if I arrive there in time the Wanderlust festival is scheduled for June 21-24. http://stratton.wanderlustfestival.com/lineup Lots of music, food, speakers and yoga. I went last year and it was fabulous. Please do keep me in mind if anything else is going on along the way.

Driver8
05-01-2012, 02:00
Good luck to you and your border collie (I love those dogs!), Rockie. If you do yoga along the way on the trail, it can only do you good, methinks. Hope you enjoy your adventure.

WingedMonkey
05-01-2012, 11:46
WingedMonkey, you say you'd never think of going into a town for a class. I'm wondering if it's just because it hadn't occurred to you or for some other reason. I'm interested in all that info. I realize the appearance of hikers, and even the aroma might be off-putting. But my experience with yoga folks is that they are accommodating and understanding and surely washing up first would help.

The main reason is that I use yoga is when I'm trying to get going in the morning, back on the trail. I do my massage/stretching in my tent before sleep.

When I do go to town, I usually get a soft mattress and a warm shower, I don't need yoga to get going the next morning.

If I had to schedule the limited hours of a yoga class around my requirements for food, mail, equipment and local sightseeing, yoga class would be last on the list. I don't require the social interaction of a "class", I'm not the type that ever gets lonely, quite the opposite.

Some of the "hypothetical" suggested towns are distances from the trail than I wouldn't even go for food or rest or the normal things a town stop is needed for. Maybe I would travel that far for something like major gear failure or medical. (Neither of which has occurred yet)

Not saying that you shouldn't do it, It's your hike.

Driver8
05-02-2012, 02:17
Some of the "hypothetical" suggested towns are distances from the trail than I wouldn't even go for food or rest or the normal things a town stop is needed for. Maybe I would travel that far for something like major gear failure or medical. (Neither of which has occurred yet)

Of course, when I suggested the towns, it was for Rockie, responsive to his priority for yoga, which, as stated, is different from yours. Vive la difference. ...

Mike2012
05-02-2012, 11:20
I wish there were cheap yoga sessions in each town I pass through. I'm only working on downward dog and shavasana until I get a refresher.

Del Q
05-02-2012, 21:12
I found the #1 absoultely best spot for yoga on the AT!

Alone, on top of a mountain with a nice breeze.

Barefoot and loving life................Namaste

WingedMonkey
05-02-2012, 21:42
I found the #1 absoultely best spot for yoga on the AT!

Alone, on top of a mountain with a nice breeze.

Barefoot and loving life................Namaste

While listening (in earphones) to the Hanuman Chalisa. The original flying monkey.

Mike2012
05-08-2012, 20:25
While listening (in earphones) to the Hanuman Chalisa. The original flying monkey.

I listen to that as sung by Krishna Das often before bed on the trail. :)

actionpocket
05-08-2012, 22:50
If you go on meetup.com or maybe couchsurfing, you can find yoga groups. I know in every town I've lived in there have been free outdoor classes, you just have to be in the know. Unfortunately I haven't lived in any towns on the trail. Hope you find some good classes!