PDA

View Full Version : SW Va Section Hike

Repeat
04-05-2005, 09:41
I will be starting a section hiker from Damascus (NOBO) in about three weeks. I will stop at Atkins. Where/what are some of the must-see sites/ campsites in this area? I have herd mention of the Grayson Highlands and Chestnut knob, any other recomendations? I have also been told there are now views fromt he top of Mt. Rogers, so I don't guess there is any need to take the side trail to the top.

Repeat

chris
04-05-2005, 09:55
Personally, I thought the Grayson Highlands area was overrated, but that doesn't mean it isn't nice. I had just heard so much about it that when I got there I was a bit let down by the scenery. However, I hadn't heard much about Whitetop or Chestnut Knob and found those both to be great locations. However, I think Chestnut Knob is north of Atkins, so you'd have to hike on to get to it.

A-Train
04-05-2005, 10:52
You could probably stealth camp all over the Grayson Highlands, but I wouldn't personally. First off, there isn't much tree cover and tons of people (I saw over 100 in one day in April on a weekend). I usually like to have a bit more seclusion and privacy. Also a lot of the area is very fragile habitat around there especially at the higher elevations. I do remember a good site in the woods in a valley, as you start the initial climb up to the highlands right after the road past Lost Mtn Shelter. Very pretty around there.
All of the shelters in the highlands are in nice settings and make good night destinations (thomas knob, wise, old orchard) and the later two have a lot of good camping nearby. There is also many nice areas in and around Trimpi Shelter. There are also some beautiful spots near the Holston River. I wouldn;t camp close to Atkins on your last night, for you can see the Sprawl for a mile or two away and there are powerlines abound. Stay at Partnership and treat yourself to pizza on the last night or camp somewhere for more solitude.

Chris is right. As cool as Chestnut Knob is, it's about 20 miles north of Atkins. Enjoy and I bet Lone Wolf has much more descriptive campsites than I was able to produce. Enjoy