PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bryson and Katz :

DaveSail
04-28-2012, 16:24
I read somewhere that Bill Bryson wrote a book about touring America , and Katz went with him .
Does anyone know the title of this book , if it exists ? David V. Webber

CarolinaATMom
04-28-2012, 17:02
It's called A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, and it's hilarious! It also has a great deal of facts about the trail including ecological, historical and more. Here's the link on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-America-Appalachian/dp/0307279464/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335646830&sr=1-1
Bryson's a brilliant writer. I read it twice and my son read it three times before he set on his 2012 At thru-hike.

Grampie
04-28-2012, 17:57
Google Bill Bryson and you can see all the books he has writen.

rocketsocks
04-28-2012, 18:00
I read somewhere that Bill Bryson wrote a book about touring America , and Katz went with him .
Does anyone know the title of this book , if it exists ? David V. WebberIf you would like to read it,I have a copy you can have.Send me a PM with your info,and I'll stick it in the mail to you.Or if you have a kindle or Nook for PC they are available electronically.cheers

blackbird04217
04-28-2012, 18:08
The post above is the reason I fell in love with the hiking community as I followed the white blazes north. In just three years, I had already forgotten how nice other people can actually be. I can't wait until life lets me get out of the city and walk again.

LDog
04-28-2012, 18:11
He wrote "The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America" in which he travels around the country. But I don't think Katz is in any major role.

Desert Reprobate
04-28-2012, 19:29
My favorite was The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid. It showed how things were in the 50s and 60s. Lotta memories

DaveSail
04-28-2012, 20:36
I own " A Walk In The Woods " . I had heard that there was ANOTHER one with Katz in it ! David

Pringles
04-28-2012, 21:29
I don't think Katz was in Lost Continent.

My childhood was much like Thunderbolt Kid. Except I wasn't a superhero. :-)

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2012, 22:00
This is sort of a can of worms, folks, but let's be blunt: To call Mr. Bryson's best-known work a pice of non-fiction would be something of a stretch. Let's say he's a good story-teller and leave it at that.

rocketsocks
04-28-2012, 22:44
I own " A Walk In The Woods " . I had heard that there was ANOTHER one with Katz in it ! DavidPossibly "Neither here nor there"where hikes around Europe,never read that one.

Gorgiewave
06-27-2012, 09:45
Katz (a pseudonym) is in Neither Here nor There, about travels in Europe. He didn't hike, though, it was mainly on trains.

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 10:02
Katz (a pseudonym) is in Neither Here nor There, about travels in Europe. He didn't hike, though, it was mainly on trains.Did you read,and if so,did you like it?

T.S.Kobzol
06-27-2012, 11:41
Bryson is a good writer but the disrespect to general trail etiquette hit a nerve with me. I threw the book in the trash after the chapter on self admitted littering (with lack of remorse) and woved never to read any of his books. I succeeded.

Did you read,and if so,did you like it?

Malto
06-27-2012, 12:38
I was unimpressed with a walk in the woods as well. I will also donate my copy to someone who may want it pm me.

Suckerfish
06-27-2012, 12:47
I'm reading it now, my take after 6 chapters...It's very funny and entertaining. It feels like the movie billy crystal did "City Slickers" accept he decided to hike the AT with his NYC buddies instead of ranching. Him and Katz are your typical northeastern guys, he plays on the standard stereotypes in georgia, but still very funny.

My take, it's a must read for anyone who has hiked the AT, however he is not an AT community type of guy. I am sure he will rub me the wrong way at some point in this book.

bamboo bob
06-27-2012, 12:56
I have read every one of his books. I actually reread A walk in the Woods while on my 2002 thruhike because I wanted to see if he "rang true" I think he hiked some of the trail but I also think he could have written it as many authors do by researching and talking to hikers. I think he's a fine writer especiially his more academic works about language and history. ps.Credit Score: How can you complain about his playing on "standard stereotypes in georgia" yet you call him a "typical..northeastern guy" As a Boston boy all I can say is go **** yourself !

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 13:00
Bryson is a good writer but the disrespect to general trail etiquette hit a nerve with me. I threw the book in the trash after the chapter on self admitted littering (with lack of remorse) and woved never to read any of his books. I succeeded.You are not alone.I liked the book and read it,thought it was a good read,read another one of his books,actually listen to it on my Ipod,the "History of nearly everything"more people and places than the Bible,lot of dates,but still a good read,and I don't think he litters in that one.:)

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 13:30
I'm reading it now, my take after 6 chapters...It's very funny and entertaining. It feels like the movie billy crystal did "City Slickers" accept he decided to hike the AT with his NYC buddies instead of ranching. Him and Katz are your typical northeastern guys, he plays on the standard stereotypes in georgia, but still very funny.

My take, it's a must read for anyone who has hiked the AT, however he is not an AT community type of guy. I am sure he will rub me the wrong way at some point in this book.Sounds like he already rubbed you the wrong way,"What exactly do you mean by typical" Do you mean we say things like,fugetabout it,or you's guy's.Oh Swannie,how I love ya,how I love ya.

Half Note
06-27-2012, 13:45
If it's a traveling book you're looking for, I recommend Donald Miller's "Through Painted Deserts". It actually turned me onto Bryson's book, which inherently turned me onto interest of the AT. But anywho, it's a great read and comedic to boot.

verasch
06-27-2012, 13:53
I threw the book in the trash after the chapter on self admitted littering (with lack of remorse)

You didn't recycle it? :)

Suckerfish
06-27-2012, 14:02
Bamboo Bob, LOL that's great, I actually heard the accent while reading it. No I just mean his book plays on the standard stereotypes, almost to good to be true. Like the couple that gave him and katz a ride in their blue trans am while drinking on some jim beam, driving 100 plus MPH down the road.

Like the movie taladega nights, it isnt a southern comedy, sling blade is a real souther comedy. Doyle Hargrove is about as real as it gets.

I am sure when I read farther along he will play on the stereotypes of new englanders.

BTW I think New England is one of the prettiest regions in this country.

Astro
06-27-2012, 18:52
Actually Bryson and Katz are originally from Iowa, although Bryson may have spent more have spent more of his adult life in New England and Europe.

OzJacko
06-27-2012, 19:33
I actually enjoy reading Bryson's books (have read most) and the Walk in the Woods is one of my favourites. I like the guy's style and humour. Rest assured I am NOT using it as a reference for my 2013 thruhike! He has written one about travelling in Australia and while he strikes well in some of his comments he has enough inaccuracies and personal views etc coming through in it that I can understand AT hikers taking offense at some of the Walk in the Woods. Nonetheless he has been a large part of the awareness of the AT in the general public about the AT, especially outside of the USA like here in OZ.
To sum up I would put him high on the list of people I would like to spend a day with, but don't think I would want to hike with him.

Mrs Baggins
06-27-2012, 20:00
I own and have read all of his books. I've read them for the humor and the story telling. Both my hubby and I love all of the books. Even his latest, At Home, is fabulous. If you're looking for a How to Hike the AT book, look elsewhere. But if you want to read about someone's experiences that are brutally honest (I especially love when he's buying his gear - been there, done that) and absolutely hilarious then read A Walk In The Woods. He never passed it off as a book about hiking the entire AT. There are plenty of other AT books by people who never finished and yet they're accepted as "real" hiking books.

coach lou
06-27-2012, 20:14
I own and have read all of his books. I've read them for the humor and the story telling. Both my hubby and I love all of the books. Even his latest, At Home, is fabulous. If you're looking for a How to Hike the AT book, look elsewhere. But if you want to read about someone's experiences that are brutally honest (I especially love when he's buying his gear - been there, done that) and absolutely hilarious then read A Walk In The Woods. He never passed it off as a book about hiking the entire AT. There are plenty of other AT books by people who never finished and yet they're accepted as "real" hiking books.

I absolutely agree Mrs. B, I have read 4 and he is really funny and today. In another thread it was said that..."he is a writer hiking not a hiker writing."

T.S.Kobzol
06-27-2012, 20:59
I can not read a book from a writer I do not respect.

I absolutely agree Mrs. B, I have read 4 and he is really funny and today. In another thread it was said that..."he is a writer hiking not a hiker writing."

coach lou
06-27-2012, 22:25
Actually Bryson and Katz are originally from Iowa, although Bryson may have spent more have spent more of his adult life in New England and Europe.

New England would be in the same country as Iowa, and Searcy.

OzJacko
06-28-2012, 03:01

From where I sit so is Connecticut....
:-)

Astro
07-12-2012, 14:49

I guess I should have included the original quote that he said he was from New England. I was just trying show he (and Katz) was (were) actually originally from the Midwest, not New England.

coach lou
07-12-2012, 15:06
I guess I should have included the original quote that he said he was from New England. I was just trying show he (and Katz) was (were) actually originally from the Midwest, not New England.

Sorry sir, you must have caught me in my wise a$$ Connecticut moods.....I'll blame it on the heat:o

Ladytrekker
07-12-2012, 15:29
Katz is in Neither Here nor there a trip around Europe, A walk in the woods, and thunderbolt kid

Emily Harper
07-18-2012, 22:16
The book it hilarious, but this is what I have to say. http://youtu.be/iGiWsJOm08c

Superdave0002
07-19-2012, 06:20
Bryson is a good writer but the disrespect to general trail etiquette hit a nerve with me. I threw the book in the trash after the chapter on self admitted littering (with lack of remorse) and woved never to read any of his books. I succeeded.

TS if that made you so upset then I would love to see your reaction to Abbey's quote "Of course I litter the public highway. Every chance I get. After all, it's not the beer cans that are ugly; it's the highway that is ugly."
I hope you didn't just destroy yourcomputer by tossing it across the room.

T.S.Kobzol
07-19-2012, 20:28
We'll I wouldn't say I was upset. I just lost respect for the author. He was either pushing my buttons in creating a sensation or he was dumb and ignorant. Either way... I had no interest to continue reading the book, nor was I going to reward such a person with my time. I would compare my reaction to ignoring an obnoxious buffoon at a party ;-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

MuddyWaters
07-20-2012, 20:25
Bryson didnt litter, Katz did. Bryson just told the story.
Quite possibly, it never even happened
Katz wouldnt be the first person, or the last, to discard gear or food on the AT , especially in GA.

I find things all the time, that I doubt fell off someones pack. Clothing mostly

Another Kevin
07-22-2012, 20:50
Ah, Bryson. The writer that hikers love to hate. Because he never lets the truth get in the way of a good story. ;)

Another Kevin
07-22-2012, 21:00
I find things all the time, that I doubt fell off someones pack. Clothing mostly

Yeah, earlier this summer I found a mountain of mildewed abandoned gear behind a lean-to - way too much for me to pack out, sorry! It looked as if 3-4 people decided backpacking wasn't for them and decided to ditch their stuff and hike out sans packs.

On the other hand, if anyone finds a pair of black Duo-Dri boxer briefs, size 36, near East Rusk Mountain in the Catskills, go ahead and throw them out. They used to be mine. I hung them out to dry, and they weren't there in the morning. (You can be sure I made a diligent search - I hate going commando.) I suspect that they were sweaty enough to capture the interest of a porcupine, they'll brave even hiker funk to get salt.

Superdave0002
07-23-2012, 15:37
Might be they got turned into a bear.