PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Sleeping Bags

Runnin with the Pack
04-28-2012, 20:07
Looking for cheap sleeping bag for overnight camping trip. I will need two of them as two unhikers will be joining us and need their own bag. Durability is not important. Just looking for something that is lightweight enough to be stuffed into a backpack and go! The Wal Mart brand seems to be too heavy and bulky. Any suggestion appreciated..

Ender
04-28-2012, 20:37
Check out Campmor. They carry reasonably priced bags.

KristalB
04-28-2012, 21:22
I rented a sleeping bag from REI once. It helped when I couldn't afford to shell out the dough for a bag. Have fun on ur trip with the newbies. :)

leaftye
04-28-2012, 21:24
Buy used. Even do that locally by checking Craigslist or other local classifieds.

Runnin with the Pack
04-28-2012, 21:41
Thank you all. I will check out the Campmor store and also REI to see about the price to rent gear. I never even thought about used gear so thanks for that one, too. I am interested in this bag - http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-Adventurer-Ultra-Compactable-Sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA but have never heard of the brand. Anyone familiar with the brand Suisse?

dale1627
04-28-2012, 23:56
I have one of the Suisse Sport bags. Only used it once so far when testing out my hammock setup a few weeks ago. Did fine but the zipper is a chore to zip all of the way up and I seriously question the temperature rating. Another point is that it is fairly snug on me. I'm 5'10" and weigh 170. It'll work until I can convince the wife to let me buy a better one.
Also, several reviews on Amazon say that the bag is made in the USA which is false. It is made in China. The company does however make quite a few different bags in the USA. Trivia question: how many items have you seen in Walmart that is American made? I can find one, the Ozark Trails sleeping bag. I believe that it is made by the Suisse Sport manufacturer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

sweeper
04-29-2012, 08:33
Most climbing shops have consignment equipment for reasonable prices. Try off season to buy next seasons gear.
Also LL Bean or other 'factory second store' have big savings.
I usually buy a decent bag and use it as a warmer on the couch, coarse I live in a man cave aka base camp.

oldbear
04-29-2012, 09:12
You may want to seriously consider buying rectangular or a semi-rectangular bags or even using a quilt
The one huge advantage that they have over a mummy style bag is that they're one size fits all ; the same thing cannot be said of mummies which need to be tried on before buying

atbackpacker
04-29-2012, 09:25
in the event your not looking for a cold weather bag...i'd google the kelty cosmic 50 degree. weighing in at 2lb 4oz. it's a discontinued, brand name model, going for $30 bucks.
it's roomy enough for me to move around. i'm 5'8" 155lb
i use mine exclusively for summer nights when temps are mild. it's a better buy than anything at wally world.
hope this helps. have fun on your outing!:)

atraildreamer
04-29-2012, 15:54
Yard sales.