PDA

View Full Version : Mice

WIAPilot
04-29-2012, 02:48
OK - I really just am not too fond of mice and I'm not crazy about having them in my pack. We don't have that many mice where I go camping in AZ - I think it's too hot for them! LOL

I keep reading about this solution to mice = 100% Peppermint Oil like in pharmacies and candy shops. Not the Peppermint Extract found in stores.

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Peppermint-Oil-ounce/dp/B001CMZ9OW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1335681693&sr=1-1-catcorr

At 1 oz., I plan to take a bottle with me; put some on a bandana with my pack and in my sleeping bag. It will probably make me smell better too!

It's is suppose to also repel insects. Has anyone actually tried this? And yes, it sounds odd but I'd prefer it rather than having Stuart Little running across my face at night...:eek:

Bronk
04-29-2012, 05:15
Mix peanut butter with honey and put a little dab of it on your pack. Also put a dab on your foodbag and on the tip of your nose. This should keep the mice away.

WIAPilot
04-29-2012, 05:26
You know, the last I saw this site was to help hikers deal with problems. Now maybe all the guys have no qualms about dealing with mice in the shelters, but already I've seen that a lot of us women aren't too thrilled.

Here's one of the many articles I saw about this, so WTH - maybe it will work.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5340145_can-peppermint-oil-rid-mice.html

And Bronx, I don't know about giving you mice, but I'm giving you the virtual bird right now...

BigHodag
04-29-2012, 08:46
Contaminating your sleeping bag is not a great idea. Bronk is correct that your proposed solution is more likely to attract other wildlife than repel. Urban solutions don't always transfer well into the outdoors.

The most practical solution is to not sleep where the mice are, namely in and around shelters. Get yourself a hammock system and hang in the woods.

Tents work well too.

Rocket Jones
04-29-2012, 09:15
I believe it was Matty who suggested leaving a bit of a roll of toilet paper out because the mice will go for the nesting material before going for food. Does it work? I don't know, I follow the advice above and avoid the shelters. I've never had mice problems in my tent.

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2012, 09:36
Just take deep woods off and don't worry about the mice - the peppermint idea is a clear waste of time. It's another urban legend, as posted above doesn't work in the woods. - People in the city really believe one can spray mice away....

Monkeywrench
04-29-2012, 09:40
The only realistic way to avoid mice is to avoid shelters. If you store all your gear and food in a mice-infested place, sooner or later they are going to get into it. If you sleep in a mice-infested shelter, sooner or later you're going to wake up to the sensation of mice running across your head.

WIAPilot
04-29-2012, 09:48
I just researched this some more and the peppermint is apt to attract bears. So there goes my stupid idea. Thanks for the help.

ATMountainTime
04-29-2012, 10:54
Saw a guy ac couple years ago with a cat on his pack. :banana

TEXMAN
04-29-2012, 11:06
I used Bobcat and Fox urine crystals ...available at hardware stores like ACE hardware ...this is used to keep mice etc out of your attic or around ypour house ...
I sprinkle some around my sleeping bag and I never had any mice walk on me (at least not when i was awake)

It seemed to work , ECO friendly appoach to the problem
Old Man River

Half Note
04-29-2012, 11:08
I remember Matty saying the same thing about the toilet paper. He mentioned that they just want insulation for their homes rather than food and such. Possibly right?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/0/6/8/3/100_0609_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35622)

Odd Man Out
04-29-2012, 11:13
The ZPacks web page claims that their Cuben Fiber food bags are mouse resistant. Anyone know if this has been tested, or just another urban legend?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2012, 11:32
Another Eco solution is to pick up snakes put them in your backpack and release them at the shelter.... Although its a tough sell for some, it will keep the mice out of your pack....

http://theblondecoyote.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p82640971.jpg

rickb
04-29-2012, 11:34
In days of old
And hikers bold
Shelter mice were simply neglected.

But at Ice Water Springs
The rats that were thing
That had us all wishing we’d tented.

Sarcasm the elf
04-29-2012, 11:34
Another Eco solution is to pick up snakes put them in your backpack and release them at the shelter.... Although its a tough sell for some, it will keep the mice out of your pack....

http://theblondecoyote.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p82640971.jpg
Great photo WOO!

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2012, 11:44
I cannot tell a lie - I didn't take it - it is however similar to one I did take that was 20 foot up a tree.

Don't forget these...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/5/pa070146_tri_corner_knob_pack_and_food_hanger-med.jpg

Spokes
04-29-2012, 15:24
I used Bobcat and Fox urine crystals ...available at hardware stores like ACE hardware ...this is used to keep mice etc out of your attic or around ypour house ...
I sprinkle some around my sleeping bag and I never had any mice walk on me (at least not when i was awake)

It seemed to work , ECO friendly appoach to the problem
Old Man River

First time I met Old Man River I thought he was practicing a Voodoo ritual in the shelter with all those funky crystals sprinkled around his sleeping bag! lol

I believe the product he refers to is called Shake Away. It's rodent specific so be sure to get the right one.

Personally I've never really had a problem with the shelter mice and actually prefer sleeping against the side wall.

Whack-a-mole
04-29-2012, 16:10
If you go off on a mouse with a flip flop, someone might give you a trail name like whack-a-mole....I mean, I'm just sayin'...

WIAPilot
04-29-2012, 16:16
If you go off on a mouse with a flip flop, someone might give you a trail name like whack-a-mole....I mean, I'm just sayin'...

I'm changing my trail name MYSELF after this disastrous post! :o

Whack-a-mole
04-29-2012, 17:30
Stay in a few trail shelters, and you won't mind their numbers reduced by a few. Nothing like having your stuff chewed up. Waking up to find your properly hung bear bag has been chewed through. Several of your meals have had holes chewed in them, and there is mouse feces all in your food. They will ruin your stuff, and I'm sorry, but if I reduce their numbers, it will be better for the people who stay in the shelter after me.

Jim Adams
04-30-2012, 09:12
Saw a guy ac couple years ago with a cat on his pack. :banana

.....works EVERYTIME!

geek

Odd Man Out
04-30-2012, 10:25

Anyone ever seen the movie "Never Cry Wolf"? There's your solution!

Deadeye
04-30-2012, 10:39
Mouse stew, mouse scampi, mouse fricasse, mouse ala mode, mouse gumbo, mouse pie, mouse mousse, mouse cookies....

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 12:00
You forgot mouse ka bobs....Mouse Flambe

turtle fast
04-30-2012, 15:14
I have seen folks put stuff along the walls all the time...that is the mouse highway along the wall! We had a fellow hiker whom a mouse ran across his lips waking him one night! I did see a guy who had a 5 gallon bucket in the shelter put water in the bottom of it and in the morning their were a dozen mice drowned in it. He said it was his natural mousetrap.

rocketsocks
04-30-2012, 15:35

http://theblondecoyote.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p82640971.jpgWoo,if you turn your computer screen 90 degrees...to the left it's,kinda funny and plays on the mind.Cool photo!I have always put Moth balls in my shed to keep the mice away,so far it's worked pretty good..cause every time I open the creeky shed door,there no where to be found.Not sure i'd want to carry moth balls in my pack.....but they do work,but make sure you lubricate those creeky sticky zippers.:D

SunnyWalker
05-08-2012, 21:06
I pull out my machete, like Eli and hit with it! Glory! (Just kidding)

Mountain Mike
05-08-2012, 21:37
Just pick up a bottle of wine at a resupply. Find someone with a swiss army knife with corkscrew & open. Cut cork in three or four pieces & consume wine(best done in this order) Find someone with Sawer Extractor snakebite kit. Pull plunger back & insert cork & wait for mice to arrive & pop them with your cork gun or pass out from the wine.

Miami Joe
05-09-2012, 04:41
This thread has reinforced the idea that shelters are to be avoided for reasons other than mice.

chip2012
05-09-2012, 08:17
Now I have to repack the snake bite kit. :D

Montana Mac
05-09-2012, 08:44
If staying in a shelter hang your food but also leave the pockets of your pack open - that way if there is still a food smell or a few crumbs of something you missed the mouse won't chew through your pack to get it.

Stayed in a shelter in NH a number of years ago during cold weather and the mouse population was so bad I killed 5 during the night with just a walking stick without having to turn a light on! Now I carry a tent :p

QiWiz
05-11-2012, 15:41
Ursacks Minor is a light food bag that is pretty varmint proof if protecting your food is your concern. Peace of mind. Hang if bears are around, as it is not bear proof. if you don't want to see mice or feel mice on your person, then stay away from shelters, as many others have attested.

Buffalo Skipper
05-11-2012, 15:54
Better Wack-a-mole than Little Bunny Foo Foo, I always say. :D

TechNaBill
05-11-2012, 16:01
Their good eating :0

wookinpanub
05-11-2012, 16:30
.....works EVERYTIME!

geek

Here ziggy ziggy