PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Reception at Davenport Gap

Mushroom Mouse
04-29-2012, 17:33
I am planning a hike from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap this summer and am wondering about the best place for calling my ride when I am done. Is there coverage at Davenport Gap or is my best bet the Big Creek Ranger station?

dlittle
04-29-2012, 18:04
Reception is spotty throughout the park.
I have had off and on reception everywhere and I live in the area. BUT, it is getting better all the time
I was below New Found yesterday with recption ans had no reception at the gap..

Enjoy your hike

moytoy
04-29-2012, 18:13
I got reception at Big Creek Campground but not at Davenport gap. I use Verizon I don't know about other service providers. You may also be able to get reception on the trail coming down the mountain into Davenport gap.

curtisvowen
04-29-2012, 19:56
There is a cell tower at I-40.
The closer you get the better.

DripDry
04-29-2012, 20:23
Hiked the park last Sept. I made calls on Verizon at Newfound Gap and Davenport Gap. Limited coverage in other spots I tried.

Rusty Nail
04-29-2012, 21:15
I had enough verizon rececption in Davenport to call out without a problem. I40 was spotty and Standing Bear was horrible. I had to walk back closer to the trail, lift my left leg and extend my right arm in order to keep reception at Standing Bear.

ChinMusic
04-29-2012, 21:21
I had nothing at Davenport Gap with AT&T

Mr. Bumpy
04-29-2012, 21:27
I drive I-40 a couple of times a month. Verizon service in the gorge is mostly good. I'd bet you'd pick up reception as you go under the highway. For sure you'd get it at the power station before you got to the ranger station.

Mushroom Mouse
04-30-2012, 06:05
Thanks, everyone. My service provider is Verizon so I will try to call her at Big Creek, Davenport Gap or I-40. Is there an exit near the intersection of the AT & I-40 where she can pick me up?

moytoy
04-30-2012, 06:25
Thanks, everyone. My service provider is Verizon so I will try to call her at Big Creek, Davenport Gap or I-40. Is there an exit near the intersection of the AT & I-40 where she can pick me up?
You can follow the AT all the way to exit 451 on I-40 or she can drive to you at Davenport gap. I think the walk is about 1.5 miles to the I-40 crossing.

Bear-bait
04-30-2012, 21:15
I just passed through and had reception at Davenport Gap. I had great reception a little past Davenport gap, on the way to I-40, just before you decend to the Pigeon river. My provider was ATT.

Mr. Bumpy
04-30-2012, 21:35

The AT goes under the highway exactly at the Waterville exit. It is a boring place to wait for someone. If I were asking my someone to pick me up I'd have them meet me at the little park at the powerhouse or up at the Big Creek day parking area. The powerhouse is about a mile from where the AT comes out of the park. Google Earth makes things very clear.

You might want to consider diverting from the AT and take in Mt. Sterling. It is one of the better campsites in the park. It has a fire tower that allows you to look back on the whole of the park, over to Cold Mt., Mt. Pisgah, Max Patch, and on a clear day Mt. Mitchell and the Roan highlands.