PDA

View Full Version : Are Travelers Checks Accepted?

WIAPilot
04-29-2012, 21:33
I rarely carry cash anywhere, but have the major three cards and charge everything. I have read however that many of the hostels and stores along the AT do NOT accept credit cards. Do most of these places accept Travelers Checks?

McPick
04-29-2012, 21:57
I used a debit card the whole way. Don't remember a single problem. Easy.

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2012, 22:03
My wife is a platform banker and she said NO. - Use your Debit Card and those belt wallets.

Maddog
04-29-2012, 22:04
I carried about $100 in cash and a debit card! Never had a problem either! :)

ChinMusic
04-29-2012, 22:08
I agree with others. Either a debit or credit card and a reasonable supply of cash. Travelers checks are ancient history.

MuddyWaters
04-29-2012, 22:10
I havent heard of travelers cheques in many yrs, not since Karl Malden sold them on TV. My dad used to use them..... in the 1970's.

kayak karl
04-29-2012, 22:16
i carried a separate debit card (from my regular account) i set up an auto transfer of $100 a week. limited what i could lose if lost or hacked. (this is the same car i used for online purchasing)

ChinMusic
04-29-2012, 22:19
i carried a separate debit card (from my regular account) i set up an auto transfer of $100 a week. limited what i could lose if lost or hacked. (this is the same car i used for online purchasing)

Excellent advice. Debit cards carry more risk and KKs idea helps minimize that.

Blissful
04-29-2012, 22:19
You will need to carry some cash on the trail for certain hostels and shuttles. It is safe to do so. Hopefully you have access to cash and not just credit (which amounts to debt)

WIAPilot
04-29-2012, 22:24
Blissful-I keep a zero balance. Think Karl has the right idea.

Slo-go'en
04-29-2012, 22:31
The last time I used travelers checks on the AT, which wasn't all that long ago, I had a hard time convincing many stores that they were indeed money. Then when I tried to exchange a few for green backs at the Erwin National bank (which sells travelers checks) they nearly refused to do so. Only after I made a ruckus and demanded to see the bank manager, did they finally cash one for me. Some BS about my not having an account there and they would not cash a check for someone without an account, but American Express isn't really a check, but that didn't matter because I didn't have an account. In the end, they cashed one - for a 10% fee. I was not happy.

So, I finally gave in to reality and got myself a debit card and haven't had any trouble since...

CrumbSnatcher
04-29-2012, 23:15
i used travelers checks from 98'-07' never had a problem

CrumbSnatcher
04-29-2012, 23:17
post office money orders too, had a few drops with them in the box and then cashed them with the post master
(both were insured and replaceable at no cost if needed)

Odd Man Out
04-29-2012, 23:25

I use a credit card for purchases in stores and an ATM card (with no credit card logo) to get cash from ATM's. The ATM card can only be used to get cash and only with a PIN so there is less chance of fraudulent use. I can't say it is no risk, as I don't know what the chance of someone hacking a PIN is.

kayak karl
04-29-2012, 23:37
the hacking im thinking of is stealing card # or double billing (on purpose). the other trick is switching cards. you give them your card. they palm it and give you a different one. if you notice, they say honest mistake. if you don't, they use it till you do :(
i hate paying ATM fees :)

fiddlehead
04-29-2012, 23:47
I use a credit card for purchases in stores and an ATM card (with no credit card logo) to get cash from ATM's. The ATM card can only be used to get cash and only with a PIN so there is less chance of fraudulent use. I can't say it is no risk, as I don't know what the chance of someone hacking a PIN is.

They hacked (Russians) both my card and my PIN this year. It's happening more and more here in Thailand as more and more Russians are coming here for holiday.
They put a skimmer in the ATM's and also one on the keypad to get your PIN. It sucks.
My bank may not even give me the money back even though I reported it within 24 hours.
They are trying to weasel out of their deal.
Not easy to fight them from here.
Just beware folks. It's happening a lot lately.
Best to have 2 accounts like kayak karl says. Only put what you can afford to lose on the one that you use regularly.
I won't even use ATM's here anymore. Go into the bank and use a teller to be ultra safe.

Funny things about travelers checks: they are worth more than cash here in Asia. Don't know the reasoning but all banks and money changers here will give you more for a travelers check than they will for US cash. I think cause it's easier to counterfeit US cash than it is a travelers check (???)

To me, cash is best. It's like getting drinking water: if you are aware of the risk, you will be more careful with where you get your water (use your card).

ChinMusic
04-29-2012, 23:53
They hacked (Russians) both my card and my PIN this year. It's happening more and more here in Thailand as more and more Russians are coming here for holiday.
They put a skimmer in the ATM's and also one on the keypad to get your PIN. It sucks.

Thanks for that info. My son will be in Phuket this August. That info may save him some issues.

fiddlehead
04-30-2012, 00:01
Thanks for that info. My son will be in Phuket this August. That info may save him some issues.

I'd like to meet him if possible.
I'm here in Phuket until August 26th, then I head to PA
Let me know if and when we can meet up.

Spokes
04-30-2012, 08:06
I agree with others. Either a debit or credit card and a reasonable supply of cash. Travelers checks are ancient history.

+1. Last time I tried to cash a Travelers Cheque ( years ago) they looked at me like I had 3 eyes..