PDA

View Full Version : Will the Trangia 27-8 Ultralight Hard Anodized Stove Kit work for a SOBO

smokeypaintball
04-29-2012, 21:45
Hi I'm freaking out about what stove to buy I don't wont to be stuck eating cold food. I have looked at all types and this is simple and i can cook many different thing.Is cooking alcohol hard to find on the trail? Is this stove hard to use in rain/wind? Any advice would be great thank you

Tinker
04-29-2012, 21:55
I don't see why not. I had a simpler Trangia setup with the same burner. The burner is bomb proof and will simmer with some practice. Alcohol is easy to find anywhere along the trail at any town with a hardware or automotive store (Heet gas line additive for cars will work perfectly - the yellow bottle). Most outfitters and hostels sell alcohol by the ounce, too. If you partner up with other alcohol stove users you can split a large can of fuel and save money.
I, personally, use a Supercat stove (design by Jim Woods). It's easy to make and lighter than anything out there. A titanium foil windscreen and titanium pot and bowl/cup and a ti spoon complete my cookset, which I carry in a blue foam cozy which helps to save fuel by continuing to cook my food after the stove runs out of fuel.

Tinker
04-29-2012, 21:58
My cookset:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/picture_378_thumb.jpg[/URL ([URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43664)]

My favorite store bought ultralight design is the Packafeather stove, which simmers with a remote knob (no burned fingers trying to close simmer ring).

Tinker
04-29-2012, 21:59
Packafeather stove:
http://packafeather.com/

chip2012
04-30-2012, 07:14
+1 on the packafeather it really is a unique and well thought out design. I replaced my jetboil with it: 1 b/c it weighs close to nothing, 2 fuel is cheaper, 3 it actually can cook food and not just boil water. Not sure which one tinker has but I might suggest getting the one with the pot stand and not the little crazy legs which work fine but limits your pot size.

Spokes
04-30-2012, 07:47
I like Trangia stoves but I think the kit you mention is a bit overboard. There's no need for all the extras. Why not just the Trangia stove and simple foil windscreen?

I agree with Tinker on the SuperCat stove. So simple, no pot stand required, and no problem making a replacement on the trail.

Cheers!

vamelungeon
04-30-2012, 09:15
I love my Trangia stove. Very durable, works great.

smokeypaintball
04-30-2012, 10:14
Thank you for all the advice.

Tinker
05-01-2012, 22:04
+1 on the packafeather it really is a unique and well thought out design. I replaced my jetboil with it: 1 b/c it weighs close to nothing, 2 fuel is cheaper, 3 it actually can cook food and not just boil water. Not sure which one tinker has but I might suggest getting the one with the pot stand and not the little crazy legs which work fine but limits your pot size.

Just to clear things up: I was recommending the Packafeather on its design. I don't own one, but if I hadn't already mastered the Supercat (with homemade simmer ring - in picture) I would seriously consider it. :)

750ml
10-24-2015, 21:36
No, they only work going north.

donthaveoneyet
10-25-2015, 15:14
Just to clear things up: I was recommending the Packafeather on its design. I don't own one, but if I hadn't already mastered the Supercat (with homemade simmer ring - in picture) I would seriously consider it. :)

Don't mean to hijack, but I can't get that pic to enlarge. Any chance you could share more info on your cat can design, esp the simmer ring?

Farr Away
10-26-2015, 17:31
Don't mean to hijack, but I can't get that pic to enlarge. Any chance you could share more info on your cat can design, esp the simmer ring?

Just a heads up - Tinker posted that in May 2012 and might not see your question.

-FA

donthaveoneyet
10-26-2015, 18:33
Just a heads up - Tinker posted that in May 2012 and might not see your question.

-FA

Oh. Dang, you're right. I should pay more attention, thanks!