PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Orange and Hiking and What I learned this weekend

One Half
04-30-2012, 08:53
I have always hiked in 'natural colors' because I like to blend in. However, I just took my hunter education course with my son and husband this weekend. A couple of things I learned will change what I hike in. It doesn't take much to get your hunting license so just because someone has one doesn't mean they are safe to be in the woods with a gun. Most hunting accidents happen to people NOT wearing Hunter Orange. We had a very good live demo of the difference in visibility between regular clothing and hunter orange. Lots of hunting is legal 1/2 hour BEFORE sunrise and 1/2 hour AFTER sunset (depending on game, season, and state) My conclusion - I will wear hunter orange when hiking during any hunting season - maybe at any time. Right now is Turkey season. The advice in the class was to not wear red, white, blue or black during this season as these are the primary colors used to identify a Tom.

Be careful out there.

vamelungeon
04-30-2012, 09:08
Good thinking.

Snowleopard
04-30-2012, 10:44
Good idea. I usually only worry about deer season, but I might be wrong about that.
After that woman was shot in Mass. last fall, I checked visibility at 1/2 hour after sunset. It's really dark in the woods at 30 min after sunset, and kind of dark in the open.
PS Vamelungeon, I'm not really bitter but otherwise your signature applies.

Blissful
04-30-2012, 12:54
Be sure to repost this during the main hunting season too.

Odd Man Out
04-30-2012, 13:13
Any hints on how much Orange to wear? Hat enough? Pack cover?

Tuckahoe
04-30-2012, 13:23
First I hate seeing the word accident being use when discussing shootings. Much prefer negligent, as that is exactly what the are and they can be traced back to the breaking of one of the 4 rules of safe firearms handling.

As for how much blaze orange, here is the Virginia regulation --

Blaze Orange RequirementsWhen hunting any species during the firearms deer season and youth deer day, every hunter (see exceptions below), or persons accompanying a hunter, shall wear a blaze orange hat or blaze orange upper body clothing that is visible from 360 degrees or display at least 100 square inches of solid blaze orange material at shoulder level within body reach and visible from 360 degrees. Hats may have a bill or brim color or design other than solid blaze orange. Hats shall not be in "camo" style, since the latter is designated to prevent visibility. A logo, which does not detract from visibility, may be worn on a blaze orange hat.

Hunters using ground (pop-up, chair, box, etc.) or treestand blinds that conceal them from view must display a minimum of 100 square inches of blaze orange, visible from 360 degrees, on the OUTSIDE of such blinds. This blaze orange is in addition to any worn on the hunter's person.
Exceptions

Blaze orange is not required of waterfowl hunters, dove hunters, individuals participating in hunting dog field trials, and fox hunters on horseback without firearms.
Hunters hunting with archery tackle during an open firearms deer season, in areas where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by state law or local ordinance, are exempt from the blaze orange requirement.
Blaze orange is not required during the muzzleloading deer season(s).

burger
04-30-2012, 13:37
Most hunting accidents happen to people NOT wearing Hunter Orange.
Wrong. Most accidents happen because hunters shoot at targets they cannot fully see or in locations they should not be shooting (near houses, trails, etc.). Don't go blaming the hiker when a hunter shoots at movement or sound without knowing what their target is and what's behind it.

rickb
04-30-2012, 19:11
If a deer is between you and hunter who has identified his target perfectly, its good to be wearing blaze orange so you stand out in the background.

In some areas deer will always be between you and a hunter, right?

hikerboy57
04-30-2012, 19:28
Wrong. Most accidents happen because hunters shoot at targets they cannot fully see or in locations they should not be shooting (near houses, trails, etc.). Don't go blaming the hiker when a hunter shoots at movement or sound without knowing what their target is and what's behind it.this doesnt mean you shouldnt take precautions. If i got shot because i wasnt visible enough, i dont think it will matter any more whos to blame.

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 19:30
Here we go again... another fear.... buckshot.... PP don't take it personally - we have blazed this to death....

Here is 182 thread on.......
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=1561238

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 19:38
Now - here is the rub... generally speaking from hanging out with hunters and hikers... its crap. In season if you want to wear a blaze orange hat - go to Walmart - tis $3-4 dollars... Your odds of being shot... 1% on the trail You want to see more wildlife? wear browns and green clothing - just not all brown. ON Sunday - generally don't worry - some states still have a blue law. Enjoy the woods - its hiking...

Further Reading

Over the years of reading WB posts there is an underlying theme that I didn't see when I first started here. That many new folk come on board to talk about their fears about hiking the trail. Over and over, lions, bears, mice, spiders, ticks, fear of other people and getting lost is a constant theme for posting on WB. I suspect it's the very conditioning that the television news preys upon that you need to be scared and very aware and buy this product so we can bring you a new fear that you haven't thought of. Today we bring you a terrible story that happened to someone – 20 miles away.... over and over again.

Then I watch most of you answer that starting post with oh it's so rare, only happened to some 10 people, We placate others to calm each other in group fashion, or diffuse the fear with –it will never happen. Being informed in itself is the best enemy to fear. But we forget something....

We as a group forget that as children we explored our world without fear, there was little to get in trouble when we walked a trail – if we came home with Poison Ivy we suffered for a few days and moved on. If we saw a bear we were quiet and watched nature from a pleasant distance and were in awe of the moment. It was a memorable moment, something to take home as a pleasant memory of the trail. We have a healthy appreciation to seeing wildlife in the wild. We forget about the needs of a little solitude and appreciate the occasional camaraderie of walking with others. What is wrong with a little isolation in your life? Re learn the need to surround yourself in what the woods and other hikers you meet. Discover again what makes us young at heart, as we are only here for a brief time.

As a teenager, I was attacked by a trained police dog ( German Sheppard). I have been trampled by a Horse, and covered by poison ivy, sumac and have no fear of these things. My biggest fear was heights! So I forced myself to go off a high dive, climb a roof or two and then learned to rapel off a building. I have climbed and serviced Amatuer Radio towers up to 500 feet. Over time you gain a healthy understanding.

Discover the magic again. Grab some knowledge, get back on the trail for an adventure, and forget your fears. It's more about getting out there, then worrying about getting from A to B. Be a kid again and get back to the wonder of nature.

HYOH.

hikerboy57
04-30-2012, 19:49
i think it was churchill that said the things i feared the most in life never came to be.
thanks for the reminder,WOO

rocketsocks
04-30-2012, 19:54
Let me see if memory serves...134 (20)....3..2..1..ice cream man...ice cream man,last time I went bankrupt.:o:)

rocketsocks
04-30-2012, 20:06
Now - here is the rub... generally speaking from hanging out with hunters and hikers... its crap. In season if you want to wear a blaze orange hat - go to Walmart - tis $3-4 dollars... Your odds of being shot... 1% on the trail You want to see more wildlife? wear browns and green clothing - just not all brown. ON Sunday - generally don't worry - some states still have a blue law. Enjoy the woods - its hiking...

Further Reading

Over the years of reading WB posts there is an underlying theme that I didn't see when I first started here. That many new folk come on board to talk about their fears about hiking the trail. Over and over, lions, bears, mice, spiders, ticks, fear of other people and getting lost is a constant theme for posting on WB. I suspect it's the very conditioning that the television news preys upon that you need to be scared and very aware and buy this product so we can bring you a new fear that you haven't thought of. Today we bring you a terrible story that happened to someone – 20 miles away.... over and over again.

Then I watch most of you answer that starting post with oh it's so rare, only happened to some 10 people, We placate others to calm each other in group fashion, or diffuse the fear with –it will never happen. Being informed in itself is the best enemy to fear. But we forget something....

We as a group forget that as children we explored our world without fear, there was little to get in trouble when we walked a trail – if we came home with Poison Ivy we suffered for a few days and moved on. If we saw a bear we were quiet and watched nature from a pleasant distance and were in awe of the moment. It was a memorable moment, something to take home as a pleasant memory of the trail. We have a healthy appreciation to seeing wildlife in the wild. We forget about the needs of a little solitude and appreciate the occasional camaraderie of walking with others. What is wrong with a little isolation in your life? Re learn the need to surround yourself in what the woods and other hikers you meet. Discover again what makes us young at heart, as we are only here for a brief time.

As a teenager, I was attacked by a trained police dog ( German Sheppard). I have been trampled by a Horse, and covered by poison ivy, sumac and have no fear of these things. My biggest fear was heights! So I forced myself to go off a high dive, climb a roof or two and then learned to rapel off a building. I have climbed and serviced Amatuer Radio towers up to 500 feet. Over time you gain a healthy understanding.

Discover the magic again. Grab some knowledge, get back on the trail for an adventure, and forget your fears. It's more about getting out there, then worrying about getting from A to B. Be a kid again and get back to the wonder of nature.

HYOH. Amen brother Woo!

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2012, 20:14

Further Reading

HYOH.

I know that you have posted this before, I enjoyed reading it then and enjoy reading it now.

I almost wish for this post to be reworked into a kind of sticky note that all new members would then be required to read.:sun

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 20:17
Well I appreciate that Sarcasm - and it took a while for me to get there after several years of reading posts....so if you would like the honors we can compile a sticky... from everyone... just add below.....

vamelungeon
04-30-2012, 20:17
PS Vamelungeon, I'm not really bitter but otherwise your signature applies.

LOL Another poster called me that so I kept it as a signature line. I thought it was pretty funny.

Pony
04-30-2012, 20:26
A few years ago I nearly stepped on a guy who was deer hunting during muzzle loader season. I had some blaze orange in my pack but forgot to put it on because I was in a hurry to get to camp before dark. Luckily for me this guy had a clue and was a responsible hunter. After that I always take some orange if I am in doubt as to whether or not it is hunting season.

vamelungeon
04-30-2012, 20:28
I'll wear blaze orange during hunting season if I go in the woods, thank you very much. I am a deer hunter as well as a hiker, and I'm very careful about where I shoot, but others may get "buck fever" and shoot when they shouldn't. I'd like to reduce the risk as much as possible, and we're not talking about adding any weight, just wearing a particular color for Pete's sake! I'm not "fearful" but I do like to reduce risk. I wear my seatbelts and have insurance too.

My wife's grandfather ran a little country store for decades, at least 50 years. He dropped his insurance on it because he had never had a fire. His store burned to the ground a few years later.

I'll choose to wear blaze orange and some may choose not to. It doesn't cost me anything or add any weight to my load. Why anyone would advocate against it is beyond me.

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 20:32
Pony I have had hikers step on me because they were not enjoying the trail, I sat waiting legs across the trail, for my dad to catch up because I was two miles ahead. Folks didnt see me until they were right on top less than 4 feet away... that's human nature...

blackbird04217
04-30-2012, 20:36
Wrong. Most accidents happen because hunters shoot at targets they cannot fully see or in locations they should not be shooting (near houses, trails, etc.). Don't go blaming the hiker when a hunter shoots at movement or sound without knowing what their target is and what's behind it.

Erm. If you read PennyPincher's quote more carefully you will notice she said, 'happen TO people not wearing....' not 'happen BECAUSE people not wearing...' So she is likely to be very right, but that doesn't put the blame on the outdoorsman who wasn't wearing orange- Person who took a shot should know what they are shooting, and the area they are shooting in!

Pony
04-30-2012, 20:47
Pony I have had hikers step on me because they were not enjoying the trail, I sat waiting legs across the trail, for my dad to catch up because I was two miles ahead. Folks didnt see me until they were right on top less than 4 feet away... that's human nature...

I just wasn't paying attention. I got to the trail head late in the day and was trying to get to camp before dark. I didn't see him until I got to the top of the hill. Pretty sure he saw me coming all the way up though. Right as I saw his orange hat he said hi, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. He was sitting on the ground leaning against a tree, and if he didn't have orange on I'm not sure if I would've seen him. He had some pretty good camo.

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 20:50
That's OK... Understand after a few hundred miles of hiking ...one tends to take in the details...ignore the general stuff...

MuddyWaters
04-30-2012, 20:54
Yep, it costs nothing to add a measure of safety. You generally dont have to worry about shotgun hunting, thats close range stuff. But deer rifles are a different story. Many, many deer are shot at 200+ yards, and many more are attempted out to greater distances. People that hunt powerline right-of-ways thru their land may even take up to 500 yd shots, although they rarely hit at those distances.

Even thru a 10x scope, in low light your mind can play tricks on your and make you see things that arent there. Besides, you DONT want a deer hunter to have to point a loaded rifle at YOU in order to look thru the scope and determine what you are or arent.

Capt Nat
05-01-2012, 09:19
On the Van Fleet Trail here in Florida, a woman was shot and killed wearing a blaze orange jacket, riding a bicycle. She might have been better off wearing camo.

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2012, 10:27
Hey Capt that must have been a long time ago.

Rain Man
05-01-2012, 10:36
First I hate seeing the word accident being use when discussing shootings. Much prefer negligent, as that is exactly what the are and they can be traced back to the breaking of one of the 4 rules of safe firearms handling.

Right you are. "Accident" is using semantics to try to get off the hook for negligence and personal responsibility. "Accident" is a word that should never be used when a hunter points a gun intending to kill and pulls the trigger on purpose. There was nothing "accidental" about it.

And right you are. Don't blame the victim. People used to do that to rape victims all the time, too.

Having said all that, I wear blaze orange and require it of my hikers when I lead a trip during hunting season. You don't have to protect yourself from the good hunters, but you sure do from the idiots with guns, and there are those in the woods. A hunting license involves no intelligence test.

I was hiking the AT once in North Carolina during hunting season. I had on an orange shirt, orange hat, and an orange pack cover. Ran into a guy coming the other way. He joked about all the orange. Seeing he had on a red NC State t-shirt, I told him this was my "incognito" outfit for Clemson home games. He got a chuckle, as our schools are ACC rivals. LOL

And yes, blaze orange is very cheap insurance. Caps at Walmart are $2.99. Blaze orange polyester-blend t-shirts at Dollar General are $8.00. I made my own blaze orange pack cover from cheap "seconds" fabric from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. Vests (which you can put on packs) can be got for a very few dollars.

I usually converse with hunters I run into on the AT. Almost invariably they seem to be really decent people.

Rain:sunMan

Tuckahoe
05-01-2012, 19:52
Right you are. "Accident" is using semantics to try to get off the hook for negligence and personal responsibility. "Accident" is a word that should never be used when a hunter points a gun intending to kill and pulls the trigger on purpose. There was nothing "accidental" about it.

As one of those gun guys, its just been one of my biggest pet peeves, along with idiots that claim the gun just went off.