PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike from Sams Gap to Spivey Gap May 4-5th 2012

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 13:15
Hello all, I am wanting to do a section hike of the AT from Sams Gap tp Spivey gap Nobo. on this weekend. I have not bee back into back packing long after a several year quiatus. I have revamped all my gear, now my base weight is 15lbs w/o consumables. W/ 25lbs. I have been conditioning with 30lbs of weight in my Atmos Exos, just to get my body back in shape. I am a ex smoker as of Jan 2012 39y/o and in mod to good shape. Im no spring chicken but I dont drag either. I was wanting to know from peoples personal exp on this section as far as the difficulty raiting out of 5... O have been told a 4 out of 5 prior buy a couple of people who had done it before but had been a few years. I am planning on staying at the shelter if I can arrive early enough in the day to claim a spot. If not I cary a 1 man as well..Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks

BTW if the weather holds good , anyone that would like to come along on this trip is welcome to go .

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 13:16
Sorry for the spelling I didnt proof read...lol

10-K
04-30-2012, 13:32
Sorry for the spelling I didnt proof read...lol

One of my favorite sections of trail - I've hiked it at least 5 times this year already.

It's 13.5 miles from Sam's Gap to Spivey Gap. I would rate it a solid 3.

The first 6 miles are about 70% up but very manageable. The final climb up to Big Bald is the toughest in the first half of the hike and the steepest part is the last 0.25 miles.

Tougher are the 3 short, but steep ups in succession with the last one being the climb up to High Rocks. From there, the last hour of the hike is all downhill to Spivey Gap.

Plenty of water along the way... You'll come to a piped spring at Low Gap about 3.5 miles from Sam's Gap and then of course at the shelter. About 0.3 miles north of the shelter there is a tenting area with signage indicating a water source - but it's a steep, fairly long drop to it. You'll cross several little seeps that run most of the year the rest of the way to Spivey Gap.

I would really recommend thinking about adding the last 11 miles into Erwin to your itinerary. The climb out of Spivey Gap is only about a mile and then there's several miles of flat, easy walking until you get to Temple Hill Gap and then it's just a short climb up to the ridge and then you gently drop down into Erwin via nicely maintained and switchedbacked trail.

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 13:47
Thanks fo rthe responce 10-K. I was going to do each one in order after Samp Gap , just to have some order for the summer. I have done some of these in the past, but I thought Id start at Saps Gap and do a section at a time all the way to Damascus Va. This looked to be one of the hardest and steepest in the thru hike hand book , and I had never done this section before. Thansk for all the data , very helpful. Was the shelter crowded too much the times you were through? I have been doing most of my conditioning areound the white Trail at Buffalo Mtn. the 1 mile pull ou to Whiterock and the return trail down. If you are familar with this area , please compare the two, to help clarifiy my thoughts. Thanks

10-K
04-30-2012, 14:07
I'm familiar with the white blazed trail around Buffalo - the AT between Sam's Gap and Spivey Gap is a bit steeper in places than anywhere on that trail but not by too much. I meant to add that after you cross Big Bald the last 7 miles into Spivey Gap is mostly downhill and easy hiking.

The shelters lately in this area have looked like Woodstock but the thru hiker bubble is mostly past. Most likely you'd share it with at least a few people. I hiked a 30 mile section between Erwin and Hot Springs last week and I probably passed 20 or so hikers.

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 14:09
BTW.. Just out of curiosity what would be a good ball park time frame to get to the Shelter? I know this is a hard question dut to unknowing of physical condition. But I can to the white trail at Buffalo in of 5miles. with a 30 lb pack in 2.75 hrs... Your thoughts?

10-K
04-30-2012, 14:15
A few weeks ago I left Sam's Gap with a 15# pack at exactly 12:30 and was crossing Big Bald at 3:15 and I wasn't trying to hike fast. The shelter is a mile further north from there.

I haven't stayed at a shelter in a long time but most hikers tend to cruise in between 6-9 PM.

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 14:16
LOL.... Woodstock....lol thats a good way to describe.. I dont think I will have too much trouble with this section. I really want it due to the views... It my own little reward... Between that , and just getting out from this desk and just being on my own time frame for a couple of days, if you know what I mean. I figured by the time i get to High Rock I could call my wife to pick me up at Spivey. How is the Cell service up there , or do you know? If not good I guess I could tell her 2p and one of us would have to wait...lol

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 14:19
Good deal. Sounds like I could make it by 2 if i started around 8-9a... This would give me PLENTY of time to suck air...lol I havent backpacked in SO long my time and distance time frame is WAY out of whack...lol

10-K
04-30-2012, 14:22
Sprint = No Sevice
ATT = Might as well say no service
Verizon = Might be able to get a call out from Big Bald if you hold your tongue right.

Best bet is sending a text between Little Bald and High Rocks.

Tharwood
04-30-2012, 14:33
10-4 on the text.... Verizon here.. I can text.Thanks