PDA

View Full Version : Great trail town restaurants?

WIAPilot
04-30-2012, 17:35
Any really good ones along the way?

johnnybgood
04-30-2012, 18:38
The Homeplace Restuarant-- Catawba, Va. Not exactly a trail town, but nevertheless...

coheterojo
04-30-2012, 18:44
Definitely don't miss The Homeplace. It's like a restaurant located in the anteroom of paradise! But plan carefully, it's only open Thursday thru Sunday.
Ming Garden in Waynesboro, Va. ranks right on up there too.

10-K
04-30-2012, 19:03
They're all awesome when you're hiking.

Go back to relive the experience afterwards - say to take your family to this "great" place to eat and you'll probably wonder "What was I thinking????"

Spokes
04-30-2012, 19:40
Ming Garden in Waynesboro...... Hands down!

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2012, 19:40
Ahhh The Port Clinton Hotel....

Jeff
05-01-2012, 06:38
Up for Breakfast.....Manchester, VT

max patch
05-01-2012, 09:15

Go back to relive the experience afterwards - say to take your family to this "great" place to eat and you'll probably wonder "What was I thinking????"

I thot The Inn on the Long Trail, Mountain Meadows Lodge, and The Homeplace were just as good when arriving there by car on as they were when hiking to them.

max patch
05-01-2012, 09:23

Despite my post above I pretty much agree with your opinion. Shoot, even the Pizza Hut in Erwin was pretty darn good at the time.

sloger
05-01-2012, 09:35
The Doyle, Duncannon, PA -- of course.

Datto
05-01-2012, 11:38
There's a hotsy totsy fancy restaurant on-trail/near-trail just north, as I remember, of the Dahlgren Campground in Maryland. Lots of dignitaries on the wall there (Kissinger type and the like) who'd been to the restaurant.

I didn't see any photos on the wall of thru-hikers but I coulda missed 'em.

I had Ice Cream with chocolate sauce and several cups of coffee. I was doing fine with my little pinkies up -- right to the point where a blob of chocolate sauce came off my spoon and onto the very white cotton table cloth.

I can't take me anywhere.

And no, I didn't slurp up the chocolate sauce with my lips on the table cloth.

Datto

Moose2001
05-01-2012, 12:01
It's amazing how even a frozen cheeseburger from 7-11 can taste sooooooooo good when you're on a thru! Any resturant is great when your stomach is telling you it's about to starve to death!

fudgefoot
05-01-2012, 12:04
There's a hotsy totsy fancy restaurant on-trail/near-trail just north, as I remember, of the Dahlgren Campground in Maryland. Lots of dignitaries on the wall there (Kissinger type and the like) who'd been to the restaurant.

I didn't see any photos on the wall of thru-hikers but I coulda missed 'em.

Datto

It's the Old South Mountain Inn. They welcome hikers as long as you're wearing a shirt with sleeves and will seat you downwind of the regular clientele to avoid any conflicts. It's a little pricey but worth every penny in my view - best food I've had on the trail. The Homeplace in Catawba would be second on my list.

Monkeywrench
05-01-2012, 13:39
Up for Breakfast.....Manchester, VT

+1

Got dropped off here when I hitched into town from the trail bright and early in the morning. Friendly staff, delicious food, and plenty of it. Stuffed myself before heading up the street to Northshire Books, one of the best book stores anywhere. Then it was off to the grocery store with a detour to the pizza place for a large pizza on the way, then the bakery, and finally to the post office before calling Jeff for a lift to the hostel.

Any town where you can stop to eat every half-block or so is perfect for a hiker!

I've been back to Jeff's hostel -- Green Mountain House -- a couple of times since, but I can't eat like that anymore. :-(

Hikes in Rain
05-01-2012, 14:17
Smokey Mountain Diner, in Hot Springs, NC.

English Stu
05-01-2012, 16:07
+1 for the one near the Dahlgren campground. I got to the site early and looked at the menu and hoped they would let me in when it opened. It was either that or more Ramen noodles. Smart waiter met me and never batted an eyelid when I said table for one.

TJ aka Teej
05-01-2012, 18:45
Breakfast: Shaws
Lunch/Pub food: Lake Shore House
Dinner: Spring Creek Bar-B-Q

If I lived there I'd weigh 300 pounds...

WIAPilot
05-01-2012, 19:07
LOL I just saw that the Lake Shore House has a "Laundro-Lounge." Hilarious! Do your laundry while you have dinner!

Papa D
05-01-2012, 19:54
i thot the inn on the long trail, mountain meadows lodge, and the homeplace were just as good when arriving there by car on as they were when hiking to them.

the inn at long trail and mcgrath's irish pub is something else! It's not necessarily gourmet, but it's just the ultimate trail place - if you are in vermont, i'll also recommend a hike to the whistle stop cafe - just north of clarendon gorge.

kolokolo
05-01-2012, 19:57
The Doyle, Duncannon, PA -- of course.

What he said.

Papa D
05-01-2012, 20:01
What he said.

oh yeah - the Doyle - funner if you are a little drunker:rolleyes: