PDA

View Full Version : NH Trail Conditions

Lumberjack2003
04-30-2012, 22:23
Does anyone know what the trail conditions are currently like in NH? Specifically I'm wondering about the areas around Mt. Liberty, Flume, etc.. I'm thinking of hiking a section this weekend or the next and I am not sure what I may be dealing with.

fredmugs
04-30-2012, 23:23
Don't know but if you search the net you might find some observatory cams like the one for Mt Washington.

Driver8
05-01-2012, 01:57
newenglandtrailconditions.com has a lot of reports. This coming weekend looks like it might be good. I was toying with the idea of the Lincoln/Lafayette loop but am more likely to do Moosilauke or some lower 4K summit.

Slo-go'en
05-01-2012, 13:26
It has rained a fair amount (and even snowed) in the last week and is raining again right now (5/1/12). We're into mud season and it will be muddy. Much of the snow is gone, but there could, and very likely will be, icy streaches higher up.

Lumberjack2003
05-01-2012, 20:48
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

jersey joe
05-02-2012, 13:52
What is the best time of year to plan a trip to the Whites? The goal being clear warm weather with minimal bugs. I'm guessing July or August?!?

Tom Murphy
05-02-2012, 14:17
What is the best time of year to plan a trip to the Whites? The goal being clear warm weather with minimal bugs. I'm guessing July or August?!?

IMO mid August to mid Oct are the best time of year to be backpacking in the VT, NH, and Southern ME.

Unsure what you consider warm weather, I typically switch from my quilt to my 15 *F bag after Labor Day.

Chaco Taco
05-02-2012, 17:49
May see some ice on the ridge. Its been cold and wet here. Coupe of weeks ago, Lincoln and Lafayette still had white caps. Id say fine now. August/Sept/October is a fine time to be in the Whites

Chaco Taco
05-02-2012, 17:50
Late July/ August is pretty good. It can get really hot and somewhat dry. Did not have any bug issues last July on The Bonds

redseal
05-02-2012, 18:08
I've been hiking NH lately. Here are some of my notes:
4/7 and 4/8 - White River Junction VT to Lyme-Dorchester Rd NH. Low elevation and no problems.
4/21 - Mt. Moosilauke region. Needed microspikes. The monorail was intact so lots of snow and ice above 2,500 ft.
4/29 - Franconia Notch to NH 112. Needed microspikes. Lots of ice above 2,800 ft. 17.6 miles took about 11 hrs due to the need for careful foot placement. Looking across to Lafayette there was significant snow. If you are not into winter hiking you will need to wait a few more weeks.

peakbagger
05-03-2012, 07:04
Best time of the year in the whites is the week after labor day. The summer vacationers are out of the woods, the weather is usually great and there is some "color" in some of the leaves. Just dont delay until the end of Spetember as it usually starts raining the last week.

The trails will be wet and muddy for most of May if you look at trail reports on viewsfromthetop.org they will comfirm that its best to stay out of the woods for a few weeks.

Driver8
05-07-2012, 13:38
I hiked Moosilauke Saturday from the Dartmouth lodge on the east side. Trail conditions were excellent. There was some mud, but not in terrific amounts and easily avoidable in almost all places via rock-hopping. The Gorge Brook Trail was washed out from Irene damage in two places about 0.6 uphill from the Snapper Trail junction, both requiring rock hops in the brook, the former manageable the latter requiring a bit of foot wetting.

The Carriage Road up top was in near perfect condition, a little wet and a few patches of snow, but all avoidable. I did not need my microspikes at all, on any trail.

For those of you hiking the A.T. across the big M, I highly recommend the short detour from the junction of the Glencliff Trail and the Carriage Road up to the South Peak - the trail to it is a gorgeous 0.2 and the views from the South Peak are outstanding.

Other trail reports at newenglandtrailconditions.com suggest that nearly all the high peaks can be scaled without traction - though I imagine a north-side ascent of the Presidentials or an east-side ascent of Washington might call for it. But someone did report a Jewell Trail ascent of Washington over the weekend without need of traction and said the Cog made two trips up, too.

At this point, pending intervening weather, I'd say the late spring/early summer season is starting early this year in the Whites. And the views on Saturday were wondrous - I espied Monadnock, Stratton and Dorset on the distant horizons. I was blessed with a very fine day for my first successfully completed 4K+ ascent.

Slo-go'en
05-07-2012, 20:20
Black flies are definately waking up. Got bit a few times today on the way up to Mt Waumbeck...

Also saw a male grouse showing off for his girl friend right at the summit of Waumbeck. Pretty neat.