PDA

View Full Version : Educate me, trail runner shoe users!

Big Dawg
05-01-2012, 01:54
After recently suggesting footwear to my niece, who's interested in backpacking, it got me to thinking about trail runners again. In the past, I switched from big heavy leather boots to a pair of Merrell trail runners that were very stiff in the sole like my big boots (I couldn't bend them in half very easily). They were great, except that after a using them on a 50 mile backpacking trip, I wore a quarter size hole in the interior side-wall fabric. I promptly returned them to REI for a full refund, and went back to my heavy boots. Granted, I'm a big guy... at 6'5" and 280 lbs, I put some pressure on footwear. Boots have always taken care of my pups. But as I lighten my backpacking load, and my stature, I want to consider trying trail runners again,, and also feel like they're a better option for my 19 yo niece.

When we were at REI a few weeks ago, I couldn't find a single pair of trail runners for my niece that had a "stiff" sole,, one that wouldn't bend in half, which I felt was needed to protect against sharp rocks/roots while backpacking. So... here's the question... does a good pair of trail runners for backpacking need to have such a stiff sole that you can't bend it in half. I'm thinking not, since many here who use trail runners use types that can bend in half,,, example.. Brooks Cascadia. So what gives? If it bends in half so easy, how can it protect your feet? Please educate this clueless trail runner wannabe.

moytoy
05-01-2012, 06:08
I used NB 814's in north Ga. last year without getting any stone bruises or feeling the rocks and roots. I do use spenco insoles and that adds some padding. So I'm not sure the bending in half test works. I'm thinking the lighter one is on their feet ( read total weight) the lighter the shoe can be. In the end every hiker chooses what works for them.

I think most trail runners will bend in half.

Tharwood
05-01-2012, 06:59
I just changed this year from older Scarpas , to a lighter trail running platform of boot... Salomon Cosmic 4D. I to am 6'5 , 220lbs, size 14. So I feel your pain. I have always lugged heavy boots all over the place, and was interested in a change. I did however get a HOT deal on them. They were 129.00, in comparison to 275.00 on Campsaver due to the size and discontinued color. I was hesitant at first with the hefty price tag. But the lower price I thought would be worth a try. I wore them to work one day and 5 mile hike the next. They had a very short break-in period and feel like tennis shoes with high tops. They do provide super ankle support which I do like , and I added a pair of orange super feet insoles which seems to work well. The ONLY issue that may become a issue , is the softness of the sole around the toe box. After the 5 miler I felt like I could feel every rock under my foot. I dont know if it was just where my feet were getting use to the boot and were sore and sensitive or what. Also, a friend of mine uses the Vibriam Five Fingers , and he said they toughen up your feet from the wear.,...... Maybe these boots will do the same......Just my thoughts....good luck

flemdawg1
05-01-2012, 17:07
I wear Brooks Cascadia trailrunners. Its not like you're bare footed while wearing them and the trails (AT) I walk are mostly dirt. Yes you might feel sharp rocks slightly but not enought to actually hurt anything. Would I wear them to mountaineer up Everest? no. But for walking a 90% dirt path, its not a problem.

MuddyWaters
05-01-2012, 18:59
they all will bend. Those with a rock plate will be very hard to bend underfoot, it will be designed to flex mainly under the toe area. Many quality trail running shoes have rock plates.

bigcranky
05-01-2012, 19:03
If they fit you well, the Salomon XA Pro shoes are fairly stiff, and they make a high-top version. I use the XA Comp, because they have a softer midsole and are less stiff overall, but I see a lot of XA Pro out on the trail.

marty1983
05-02-2012, 16:39
I hiked from Springer to Franklin wearing the Montrail ATs' (trail runner). I am a bigger guy and absolutely loved these shoes. They offered me plenty of support and had a very stiff mid sole. You can bend the toe area fairly easy as I'm sure you can with most hiking boots as well. I found that having the lighter shoe helped me work the trail easier. I could feel rocks and roots under my feet but it was a good feeling not an uncomfortable feeling. When I arrived at Neels Gap, I was told that this shoe was actually designed by Montrail for the A.T. After 150 miles on them, they still have great traction. Certainly worth a look but remember, footwear is very personal and what's right for me might not be right for you.

MuddyWaters
05-02-2012, 17:37
There are advantages to buying from REI.

However, for shoes, look at running warehouse. Free shipping AND free return shipping. Select several you want to try, order them, try them and return what you dont want. Complete specs on the shoes too,which can be hard to find in store.

BabySue
05-02-2012, 21:07
Salomon's relatively new Synapse is the weight of a trail runner but made for hiking. Would it bend in half . . . Never tried it. It's grip is a bit better than the XA pro 3d.

Praha4
05-02-2012, 21:26
they are not really classified as "trail runner", but if you are looking for a low-cut hiking shoe with a very stiff sole, the Merrell Chameleon Ventilator-4 has the stiffest sole of any hiking shoe I've seen on the market. The outfitter in Gorham, NH told me a couple years ago that's the shoe he sells the most for hiking in the Whites. But shoes are personal preference.

Blissful
05-02-2012, 21:47
Get the shoe that best fits your foot type. A professional running shop is your best bet. And use proper insoles

fredmugs
05-02-2012, 22:33
I am 6' 3" and (more or less) 200 pounds. I wear Merrill Moab Ventilators mostly because they are the only trail runners I can find in a wide width. I also use shock blocker inserts. I will never go back to boots.

SassyWindsor
05-02-2012, 23:16
By sticking to boots you'll save money and possibly your feet, ankles, knees, and back. I have friends that only use trail runners, and they constantly complain about the expense of having to often replace them since a resole is not available. I like trail runners for day hikes, anything else I use boots.

garlic08
05-03-2012, 10:24
Call me ignorant (I'm not a runner) but aren't running shoes supposed to bend? Isn't that sort of the whole idea? I've worn New Balance trail runners for over 10,000 trail miles and they bend very nicely every where and in every direction and that's what has saved my feet from misery.

Tenderheart
05-03-2012, 11:43
Call me ignorant (I'm not a runner) but aren't running shoes supposed to bend? Isn't that sort of the whole idea? I've worn New Balance trail runners for over 10,000 trail miles and they bend very nicely every where and in every direction and that's what has saved my feet from misery.

Bingo! I would not want a shoe that has no flexibility. This could cause all sorts of problems. Protection from sharp rocks and roots really has nothing to do with flexibility. I agree with the above comments regarding Salomon. You just have to buy the one for your foot type.

OnlyJohn
05-03-2012, 14:11
I'm exactly like B.C. Salomon shoes are the best.

QiWiz
05-03-2012, 15:59
When you wear stiff-soled boots, you don't have to pay as much attention to where you step, but you have to lift those cinder blocks with every step. With trail runners, your steps are quick and light, but you do need to be more selective with where you put your foot down, eg. in between rather than on sharp rocks and/or on flat rocks. Not hard at all to do.

Odd Man Out
05-03-2012, 17:28
Having already owned a few pairs of Merrill trail shoes (Moabs are not really "trail runners", are they?), I tried on some of the often-mentioned brands of trail runners today.

I liked Brooks the best.

NB and Asics fit well.

Salomon did not.

YMMV

Shoe shopping is fun.

Big Dawg
05-04-2012, 01:50
Thanks for all the replies,,, even the sarcastic one touting his mileage. What I've learned from this thread, and other sites/threads I've researched, is that not all trail runners are created equal. I guess I'm used to being able to step anywhere w/ my big ol boots and never have a problem. It seems the more popular trail runners have some sort of plate in the front and/or rear sole (offering protection from rocks/roots), but not through the middle where the bend is. And as QiWiz said, I'll need to be a little more selective on where I step instead of plodding along w/ no worries. I guess this is in line w/ the lighter more agile footwear, offering support but not much restriction in movement/bending. Lesson learned. I found some Montrail Mountain Masochist on clearance at REI.com for $45, and snapped them up. Montrails have fit me well in the past, so hopefully these will be fine. I'll probably also eventually get the Montrail AT Plus. I look forward to the lighter pursuit!