PDA

View Full Version : Hydration Bladder or Bottle sucker.... Which one do you choose.

Tharwood
05-01-2012, 06:47
I was wondering how many people out there use some form of Hydration Bladder in there packs. I have a Osprey 3L Bladder that I have though of using , with the thought of only filling 2 liters worth , so that the bladder does not "Baloon " out and take up tons of space in my pack. Plus , the aggervation of removing the bladder to refill , is another thought. I like the idea of the bladder , but I still feel as though I need to carry a old Gatoraid bottle for water... What are your thoughts.........:D

Theosus
05-01-2012, 06:59
I have a 3L camelback. Im thinking of going to a 2L version. I use the Sawyer inline filter with a second cheap walmart bladder bag to gravity filter. You don't have to pull the camelback out. Just pull the bite valve off the end, plug the filter output into the drink tube, and let it run. the only problem I found with gravity filters is you have to get all the air out of the tube for it to work right. Otherwise it just trickles poorly.

Cherokee Bill
05-01-2012, 07:11
I am 65-yo and have been backpacking for 30+ yrs! I am a Camelbak/bladder user and have about 3-sets. I have so far used the First Need or similiar type water purification all these years with absolutely NO problem!

My 2-cents

Gray Blazer
05-01-2012, 08:01
My son always made fun of my gatorade bottles and one summer he gave me his old bladder and convinced me to thwow away the bottles. To make a short story longer, the darn thing leaked all over my pack and me and I was forced to buy some stupid nalgene bottles for the rest of the trip. I use half liter bottles that I stick all around the pack in whatever space is left. I always carry extra water and have been known to have carried an extra liter that I never even opened.

OldFeet
05-01-2012, 08:34
I use a two liter bladder to sip from while hiking but in the past have also carried a one liter nalgene that l'll use in camp or during my longer break during the day. This year l'm leaving the naglene home and carrying a couple of 20 oz. vitamin water bottles.

Ender
05-01-2012, 09:36
I use both, though I prefer drinking out of a bottle. Mainly I just use my bladders for water storage more than anything, and drink out of a 1L Gatorade-type bottle from my hip.

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2012, 10:23
I use both - I carry water and a gatorade for flavor packs and vitamin water.

wookinpanub
05-01-2012, 10:34
I use both. A bladder for storage purposes only, especially at the campsite where the water source can be 1/4 mile away. After treating and filling up at dinner time, you won't have to make a return trip in the morning. I use 2 gatorade bottles because I like to know EXACTLY how much water I have. I ran out once and had to go 5+ miles without. I swore it would never happen again.

Spokes
05-01-2012, 10:40
2L platy with a bite valve thrown inside the pack and a liter Gatorade bottle in the side pack pouch is all I need.

RevLee
05-01-2012, 13:02
I had to quit using bladders because I would get too dehydrated with them. I would sip enough to satisfy my thirst, but not drink enough to stay hydrated. Gatorade bottles on my shoulder straps are easy to access, I take larger drinks, and I can monitor exactly how much I drink. A platy soft bottle in an external pack pocket is my reserve.

MuddyWaters
05-01-2012, 13:15
Its kind of a preference thing, but I view hydration bladders badly:

1) they are very heavy
2) they are hard to fill
3) they are hard to clean
4) you cant keep track of how much you or others you are responsible for have drank
5) they could leak in your pack\
6) where is your redundancy in case of a leak?

I use only disposable water bottles/gatorade in outside pack pockets, or a 2.5L platypus(extra water) in outside pockets for the above reasons. In cold weather if I was worried about water freezing I might consider putting it in the pack to to slow that down, but not usually needed

G.G.
05-01-2012, 13:28
Both. 3L bladder with Swayer inline and 1L gator bottle for monitoring intake and adding flavor...

Beuhler
05-01-2012, 14:01
I use both as well. I fill my 3L bladder (CamelBak) with ~2L and fill a 1L Gatorade bottle ~ .5L for when the bladder runs dry. I alter the amounts in both depending on the distance. This way, I plan to drink the bladder dry but have a little reserve if I drink too quick.

I like everything about the bladder system except not knowing how much is left. I find them easy to clean (I only ever put water in mine), I've never had one leak, they are easier to drink from when on the move, and they typically hold more than a bottle. I toyed with the idea of getting the CamelBak meter that tells you how much you've consumed but it seems a little cumbersome and gimmicky. Also, reviews on the device are very hard to come by.

leaftye
05-01-2012, 14:22
Being exclusively a PCT hiker, I use both. I prefer using bottles most of the time because they stand up and are easy to fill, but when I need the occasional extra capacity, I prefer to use bladders that way my pack is only awkwardly full for a short time.

leaftye
05-01-2012, 14:24
Let me clarify my last post. By bladders, I meant soft sided bottles. I don't like hydration bladders, at least not for overnighters.

I am considering going almost completely to soft sided bottles so that my pack can be smaller when I hitch or am in town. I usually empty my bottles when I hitch and go into town, and that makes my pack lighter, but it's still the same size.

jakedatc
05-01-2012, 19:19
Combo, it's still a work in progress but i think i have it sorted out.

Papa D
05-01-2012, 19:39

1) they are very heavy
2) they are hard to fill
4) you cant keep track of how much you or others you are responsible for have drank

I use only disposable water bottles/gatorade in outside pack pockets, or a 2.5L platypus(extra water) in outside pockets for the above reasons. In cold weather if I was worried about water freezing I might consider putting it in the pack to to slow that down, but not usually needed

I completely agree with this post - - in the dead of winter, I transition from gatorade bottles to nalgenes so I can make hot water bottles at night, if needed. I' also sometimes carry a small platy or dromedary bag if I know water is going to be really scarce - I would typically keep it empty and use it only if I need to camel-up.

rocketsocks
05-01-2012, 19:44
Combo, it's still a work in progress but i think i have it sorted out.
15834+1 I like it,and was thinking the same thing.Do you keep and additional or spare cap?

colonel r
05-01-2012, 19:56
the biggest disadvantage of using in-pack bladders is knowing how much water is remaining.

I use a bottle in the side pouch with a drinking tube. I can always look to see how much is left.

R

Newb
05-01-2012, 20:56
2L platy with a bite valve thrown inside the pack and a liter Gatorade bottle in the side pack pouch is all I need.

Bingo. The bottle is perfect for making mixes from powders. I also carry an extra 1 litre platy that I fill before I camp for the night.

leaftye
05-01-2012, 21:25
I learned this from another hiker. Another big advantage for bottles is that they force you to stop to take off your pack to get a drink, unless you have exceptional shoulder mobility or are carry an especially light pack. Those breaks do so much to make me feel better and hike even faster and further than if I hadn't stopped.

Papa D
05-01-2012, 21:29
I learned this from another hiker. Another big advantage for bottles is that they force you to stop to take off your pack to get a drink, unless you have exceptional shoulder mobility or are carry an especially light pack. Those breaks do so much to make me feel better and hike even faster and further than if I hadn't stopped.

I guess my pack is small enough or that I'm flexible enough but I can reach back and grab the bottles just fine - - putting them back is sometimes a little stretch / fumble but it seems to work ok

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2012, 21:33
I had to quit using bladders because I would get too dehydrated with them. I would sip enough to satisfy my thirst, but not drink enough to stay hydrated. Gatorade bottles on my shoulder straps are easy to access, I take larger drinks, and I can monitor exactly how much I drink. A platy soft bottle in an external pack pocket is my reserve.

I am guessing you didn't camel up in the morning.

Cozy
05-01-2012, 21:50
One thru hiker showed me he had 1L platy on the left exterior pocket and 1L hydration bladder on the right exterior pocket. I liked this. Much easier to see how much you have left in the bladder and it gives me more room in my pack. But I do like everyone's suggestion about the Gatorade bottle for sure.

MuddyWaters
05-01-2012, 22:09

I too can reach back and grab a bottle while walking, drink, and put it back it without missing a step. If I couldnt, THEN I might consider a tube of some sort. With ULA packs it isnt a problem, thats how the side pockets were designed.

Old Boots
05-01-2012, 22:21
I agree with Spokes and Papa D. I only use a bladder when I fear war will be scarce. Under normal conditions a nalgene or soft bottles work best.

LDog
05-01-2012, 22:24
For all the reasons mentioned, I use two 500 ml "Vitamin Water" bottles (3.5 ozs), which have indentions seemingly designed to work with my ULA Circuit shoulder strap bottle holders. I carry an empty 1L Platy (1.3 oz) in my pack in case I need more capacity, and I have an AntiGravity Gear 1 Gal Silnylon Water Bag (.6 oz) for fetching water for camp. With my Aquamira 3-bottle set-up (3.4 oz), my whole water system is 8.8 ozs

leaftye
05-01-2012, 22:24
I too can reach back and grab a bottle while walking, drink, and put it back it without missing a step. If I couldnt, THEN I might consider a tube of some sort. With ULA packs it isnt a problem, thats how the side pockets were designed.

Try that with the 1.8L gatorade bottles. You got my respect if you can remove and replace those bottles while hiking. I need two hands to do it, and that means putting the pack on the ground. I have a much smaller pack too that I got made with bigger bottle pockets, but partly because it's frameless I also need both hands. Like I said before, it's a good issue to have because it gives my body the breaks it needs to go even faster than if I hadn't taken that short break, and it also holds the bottles snugly so they don't fall out when I decide to jog instead of walk.

Tinker
05-01-2012, 22:28
Bottles. I've had too many leaky water bladders and problem hose connections. I use Gatorade or similar bottles and carry one in a holster on my pack's waist belt and one in my pack, if necessary.

gunner76
05-02-2012, 08:39
Just thought I would offer an alternative........http://freedomflask.com/

Blissful
05-02-2012, 09:24
After having some rodent chew through the playptus hose in the Whites, I switched it bottles and never went back. I use the playtpus bladder now to get water at camp.

atmilkman
05-02-2012, 10:26
2 different pack mule/mule pack rigs, 1 for haulin gear and 1 for haulin' water.158351583615837158381583915840

Tharwood
05-02-2012, 10:27
I have decided to carry two gatoraid bottles on the side pouchs , so that I can A. See how much I have left B. Know that I am rehydrating properly insted of sipping C. can always use to "mix" up powdered mixes. And I am going to carry a extra Plat 1Lt bag just so I can have extra in camp. Or I can fill it in water scarce areas.

Tharwood
05-02-2012, 10:34
Change the Gatoraid to Power Aid botttles.. they are taller and a little more slinder, which makes them easier to stick back in the side pouch on my Exos. I can always hang a bottle from my Sternum Strap.I may carry a small 16 oz bottle to drink from while the Aquamera works in the other two after H2O stops.....

Samson
05-02-2012, 11:26
I have a hard time buying disposable items so I carry a platy and a nalgene. I think I can handle the extra few ounces better than the planet can handle several more million empty bottles.

garlic08
05-02-2012, 12:55
I tried a hydration bladder on my first PCT hike. It lasted less than 600 miles before I switched back to bottles. This was in the days before shut-off valves and covers on the bite valve, and I lost a lot of water when I set the pack down on the valve. I lost more water and even more time when the bite valve pulled of on a trail-side shrub. Those are probably learning-curve items, but for me, in desert hiking, I didn't want to take any more chances. And I didn't like maintaining the valve, removing pine needles and such. Plus the issue noted above about redundancy, it made more sense to carry more smaller containers.

Here in AZ, there's a white thorn acacia that will easily puncture soft-sided bottles, so I've learned to carry Gatorade bottles. They're light, cheap and easily replaced.

I have a hard time buying disposable items so I carry a platy and a nalgene. I think I can handle the extra few ounces better than the planet can handle several more million empty bottles.

I feel pretty good when I take disposable bottles out of the recycle container and reuse them, usually for a whole season before they give out. There's no need to buy a Gatorade bottle. You see them on the ground at every road crossing, often with the caps still on. You usually have your choice of size, too.

jakedatc
05-02-2012, 13:38

they aren't disposable if you keep using them. they are easy to wash. And if they break you can recycle them, get another with free drink included.

+1 for Powerades in the Exos pockets.

kidchill
05-02-2012, 14:56
Both and here's why...Ever try to fill a platy bladder in a low flow stream? It sucks! I've always used bottles, but I just started using a bladder on longer trips and it's awesome to sip while I go. But, on the flip side, a large-mouth gatorade bottle is sooo much easier to fill at the stream and I'd rather do drink mixes in the gatorade bottle (I get sick of plain water). I will say the hydration bladder sits oddly in my pack and sux with packing/unpacking 'cause the tube is tethered, but it's great for hauling larger volumes and drinking on the go...

swammie
05-02-2012, 15:10
... when I fear war will be scarce.

I look forward to this day

MuddyWaters
05-02-2012, 17:49
Try that with the 1.8L gatorade bottles. You got my respect if you can remove and replace those bottles while hiking. I need two hands to do it, and that means putting the pack on the ground. I have a much smaller pack too that I got made with bigger bottle pockets, but partly because it's frameless I also need both hands. Like I said before, it's a good issue to have because it gives my body the breaks it needs to go even faster than if I hadn't taken that short break, and it also holds the bottles snugly so they don't fall out when I decide to jog instead of walk.

I use 1L bottles,theres lots of room for them. I know 2 of them will fit in a single side pocket, but that would complicate putting back in , dont know about bigger ones

bflorac
05-02-2012, 22:08
the biggest disadvantage of using in-pack bladders is knowing how much water is remaining.

R

I carry both. 2L pouch in my pack and gatorade bottle on the side. I use the bottle to mix things if needed and as a backup incase my bladder runs out and/or if I think I will thru a dry area or long assent. I have fittings from my hose that allow me to disconnect the mouthpiece and attach my filter so I don't have to take the pouch of of the pack to fill it.

If you are worried about how much is left you might also try out the CamelBak Flow Meter Hydration Gauge (http://www.rei.com/product/819170/camelbak-flow-meter-hydration-gauge?preferredSku=8191700001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-8191700001&mr:trackingCode=938CAD36-F086-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA). I have not tried this but I thought it might be worth a try...

Ktaadn
05-03-2012, 09:55
I recently switched from a 2L bladder with a drinking tube to a Sawyer Squeeze with a 32oz pouch. I thought I would miss the convenience of being able to sip water whenever I wanted to but I haven't at all. The stupid bite valve always leaked and dripped down my chest anyway. With the squeeze, I have been mostly drinking a lot of water at the source and then carrying it empty as long as I know where my next source is. I have found that I don't mind going a couple of hours without drinking. I just stay focused on hiking.

QiWiz
05-03-2012, 12:30

1) they are very heavy
2) they are hard to fill

I agree with these comments. I use two 20 oz Gatorade or powerade bottles that hang from pack straps in front of me, using cord and two cord locks around the narrow waist of each to attach to pack straps (one cord lock will slip, need two). This way it's easy to get to them and see what I have left. In my pack I have two 2 L platypus bottles for water in camp or to carry extra on trail if 40 oz is not enough to get me to the next water source. Have been doing this for more than a decade and works great.
If below freezing, I put the bottles into homemade CCF cozies and still carry them on pack straps.