PDA

View Full Version : Wondering when to leave PA to hike to GA?

JoshAuerbach
05-01-2012, 10:35
My girlfriend and I are planning to hike the AT in two sections over the next two years. We want to start in Duncannon, PA and hike south in 2013 and start there again the following year and hike north to Maine. My question is when would be a good time of year to leave? We were thinking maybe late April or May first? Good idea? Bad idea?

DaSchwartz
05-01-2012, 23:25
Good idea except water issues could be a problem in Southern Virginia or the Smokies during that time period if drought conditions continue. The Smokies and Southern Virginia are much more cooler then the northern areas like Harpers Ferry and Delmar park. April May would be perfect for this plan, you'll get no snow to worry about and enjoy the plants and trees being fully bloomed.

flemdawg1
05-02-2012, 11:40
At 15 miles/day that's 76 days from Duncannon to Springer. May 1 start puts you at Springer on July 15. Probably getting good and hot in GA (actually its getting hot in the South here already, 90s today in North AL). Much earlier, you risk getting snowed on.

Have you considered August? Leaving Aug 1 puts you on Springer Oct 16th. Sept-Oct is a great time to be in the Southern Apps.

JoshAuerbach
05-02-2012, 15:02
Thanks guys! flemdawg1 - Would I get into any snow or cold temperatures leaving in Aug? The main thing for me is to minimize needing to send gear back and forth as is a problem in thru-hiking. I want to keep the same sleeping bag and clothes the entire time, so I'm looking for warm enough weather the whole time so I won't have to use two bags.

Blissful
05-02-2012, 15:27
At 15 miles/day that's 76 days from Duncannon to Springer. May 1 start puts you at Springer on July 15. Probably getting good and hot in GA (actually its getting hot in the South here already, 90s today in North AL). Much earlier, you risk getting snowed on.

Have you considered August? Leaving Aug 1 puts you on Springer Oct 16th. Sept-Oct is a great time to be in the Southern Apps.

This is a good idea. Or even leaving mid August. Colors are nice down south. All you have are hunters.

No matter when you start you will have bag issues (either cooler to begin or cooler at the end). I'd go with a 20 degree bag and use it as a quilt as needed for the first part. You might get by with a 30 degree though if starting Aug. 1.

flemdawg1
05-02-2012, 16:49
The only way to keep the same bag is to leave in June or July, And I'd much rather spend $20-$40 to get a sleeping bag maildropped than broil all summer. Ending in early-mid October down south minimizes the chance of snow.

JoshAuerbach
05-03-2012, 11:55
If I leave in August would the water conditions be any better? Also, if I leave May 1st the weather here in PA wouldn't require more than a 40 degree bag and so on into the south I would think? It's 83 degrees here right now and lows of 50. Also what about leaving May 1 to head north to Maine? What problems would I have that way?

flemdawg1
05-03-2012, 14:44
If I leave in August would the water conditions be any better?
Probably not.

Also, if I leave May 1st the weather here in PA wouldn't require more than a 40 degree bag and so on into the south I would think?
There's a price for wanting to carry just one bag, its called sweating your ass off. Doesn't it snow occasionally in PA in May? But its about picking your poison, sweat earlier(Aug) or Later (May). Or perhaps you could hike from GA in May (pleasant to warm start to warm finish in July).

It's 83 degrees here right now and lows of 50. Also what about leaving May 1 to head north to Maine? What problems would I have that way?
Same as you would heading South in August, you pretty much need a 20 deg bag in NH and ME all summer.

JoshAuerbach
05-04-2012, 12:11
Thanks for the info! At this point I'm thinking leave May and hike north from GA sounds the most reasonable. I only wanted to avoid this at first because I thought it might be anticlimactic ending where I live. Would you suggest doing the south half before the north half?

flemdawg1
05-04-2012, 12:25
I disagree walking into the Doyle for a catfish poboy and a Troeg sounds like a great ending to me.

JoshAuerbach
05-04-2012, 15:15
Where's the Doyle?

flemdawg1
05-04-2012, 15:59
http://www.doylehotel.com/

Its a 110 year old hotel, originally built by Anheiser Busch to sell beer. Its abit (alot) rundown and outdated, but there's lots of character (& characters), cheap rooms, good food and brews. A true AT institution.

JoshAuerbach
05-04-2012, 16:59
Awesome thanks! Duncannon sounds like a great ending spot. I mean I am going to pick up where I left off the following year anyways.. So last question.. We should have around oh I'd say $5000 between the two of us. Maybe 4500 if we have to spend more on gear than initially planned. Is that enough to get by for half of the trails length or is that pushing it?

soad
05-04-2012, 17:41
Doesn't it snow occasionally in PA in May?

Snow? No. Cold? Sure.

April 27, 28, and 29 last week saw lows in the 20's.

Last night May 3, a low of 64.

I sure would want some flexibility if I were outside this time of year.

soad
05-04-2012, 17:45
Awesome thanks! Duncannon sounds like a great ending spot. I mean I am going to pick up where I left off the following year anyways.. So last question.. We should have around oh I'd say $5000 between the two of us. Maybe 4500 if we have to spend more on gear than initially planned. Is that enough to get by for half of the trails length or is that pushing it?

Hey! A fellow Mercer Countian! (Hermitage).....have fun on the trail!

JoshAuerbach
05-05-2012, 10:52
Hello and thanks! Have you hiked the AT?