PDA

View Full Version : Hiking near Green Bay, Wisconsin

c.coyle
04-05-2005, 15:32
I'll be spending 5 days in Green Bay, Wisconsin starting later this week. I'll have at least one of them completely free. Can anyone recommend any day hikes within, say, 20 miles of Green Bay?

Lint
04-05-2005, 16:02
Check out Door County. Lots of hiking around there. Well, lots for Wisconsin, anyways. Plus the eastern terminus of the Ice Age Trail is there! And check out Life Tools outfitter, which is close to Green Bay, for more detailed info and maps. They have a great shop there; backpacking and homebrew gear.

Pringles
04-05-2005, 17:07
Please let me know if Life Tools is still open. I drive through GB periodically, and the last couple of times it has appeared closed.

Beth

c.coyle
04-12-2005, 20:57
Please let me know if Life Tools is still open. I drive through GB periodically, and the last couple of times it has appeared closed.

Beth

They're in the phone book in the Green Bay suburb of Ashwabenon. I dialed them, but no answer. Didn't get to drive by.

We did about a 5 mile out-and-back on the Ice Age Trail on the Door Peninsula near Algoma, Kewaunee County. Actually, the IAT shares the footpath there with something called the Ahnapee rail-trail. Kind of bland, but only 5 miles out of 1,100. I talked to a local guy who says large parts of the IAT are still incomplete.

Lint
04-15-2005, 14:09
LOTS of the Ice Age Trail is on roads and bike path type trails. There are about 600 miles of established trail, so the rest has ya walking through small towns and out on the "milk routes"; seldom used roads in the country. A much different feel than the AT! There are alot of private property issues which force the trail onto the roads, but hopefully this will change once Wisconsin folks learn about the trail and see how neat it is to have a walking history trail following the last glaciers moraine. Many gracious landowners allow the trail on their property with handshake agreements, and the IAPTF is slowly purchasing land that will allow permanent trail to be established.

The best 'real trail' parts of the IAT are in the northern/southern kettle moraine units, the northwoods near Taylor county, and the western terminus in near St. Croix. But I must admit I loved walking into small town bars along the way and meeting the local characters, even though I had to walk in the gravel along roadways between towns. And there is something magic about stepping out of the woods onto a road and seeing an Old Style sign 100 feet away. Very few people have thruhiked the IAT, so nobody expected a hiker to be coming through town, and I was treated very well by the locals!

The IAT was my first long trail walk, and will always hold strong memories of foot powered freedom.