PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rogers Hike

Autumn
05-01-2012, 10:47
Hi,

Hubby and I will be hiking in the Mt. Rogers area for about 5 days around May 12-18. I was wondering if we would be likely to meet any through hikers there at that time. I wanted to bring some trail magic with us to leave at one of the shelters.

The Cleaner
05-01-2012, 12:28
Leaving anything at a shelter is not a good idea.Mice or other animals might get to it before a hiker.Then it has to be packed out as trash....

Autumn
05-01-2012, 12:33
That's cool. I'll just carry a bag of oreos and give it to a stinky hiker, or some apples

bwburgin1015
05-01-2012, 12:45
You'll most likely see plenty of thru hikers especially at Thomas Knob shelter...especially this time of year. May or may not see a few at Old Orchard Shelter. You'll at least pass them on the trail. Pack warm...Mt Rogers can get really cold really fast. Was there two weeks ago and it was 30 degrees with winds gusting at 20mph. It is beautiful though! Have fun!
-Brandon

flemdawg1
05-01-2012, 12:45
A better option that leaving something at the shelter, is to setup at a road crossing where there are garbage cans.

Or better yet, give to or volunteer for a trail maintenance crew.

Autumn
05-01-2012, 15:52
Thanks for the tip about the weather, I always bring cold gear but the hubby thinks he is superman. I'll slip some extra warmth in his pack.

One day I'll be able to work trail maintenance - it would be so much fun to give back but graduate school is my life right now. This trip is just a tiny break in the studying.

Sandy of PA
05-01-2012, 21:35
Trail Days in Damascus is during the time of your hike. It may affect how many thru-hikers you will meet. I plan to be out there, fruit is far better than cookies!