PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a DSLR on a Thru-Hike

Shrkbit143
05-01-2012, 15:20
I'm thinking of taking my DSLR camera on my thru-hike but the weight is the issue. I have a point-an-shoot but I want some great photos from this trip. Has anyone taken their DSLR and what is your thoughts on it? Thanks.

Ender
05-01-2012, 15:35
I wouldn't, for many reasons. First, a camera doesn't take good photos, it just makes it easier to do so by adding manual controls... but it does that at the cost of greatly increased weight. Similar function at much less weight can be gained by using an advanced P&S like the Canon G11, or even lighter the Canon S95 or S100. Or something along the lines of the Fuji X100.

Sure, they aren't as versatile as a DSLR, but you're going to spend most of your time hiking, not shooting.

Some people have carried DSLR's, and have taken good photos. But frankly, the photos you are taking are more for memories than anything else, you don't need to be taking gallery quality photos of your trip.

Just my $0.02... YMMV.

Shutterbug
05-01-2012, 16:13
I'm thinking of taking my DSLR camera on my thru-hike but the weight is the issue. I have a point-an-shoot but I want some great photos from this trip. Has anyone taken their DSLR and what is your thoughts on it? Thanks.

People who aren't photographers don't understand those of us who carry heavy cameras on hikes. It is a personal thing. If you are not comfortable without your camera, take it. It will get beat up, but isn't that expected?

Give some thought to how you will transfer your pictures off the camera. Some DSLRs are up to 20 megabytes per photo. You won't be able to transfer those on a library computer. You will probably need to mail memory cards to someone who removes the pictures and sends it back farther up the trail.

Keeping a charged battery will also be a challenge. Most DSLR's won't use AAs.

I can't count the number of times I have wished I had my DSLR on a hike. I have missed some great shots when I left it at home. I agree that the reason is only to preserve personal memories, but that is important. I relive my adventures over and over.

swammie
05-01-2012, 16:42
Last long hike I was on I carried my DSLR. I took some magnificent photographs, unfortunately, none from the trail. All my shots were from camp and when I bothered to bring it out at rest stops. It became a chunk of metal to lug along and I regret those times I didn't take the time to bring it out. Nowadays I bring a high quality point-and-shoot carried in a small bag suspended from my sternum strap. The quality of my shots has been maintained while the variety is greatly increased.

Remember, it's not the camera, it's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to manipulate your camera (and in post-development) to present that vision.

Ender
05-01-2012, 16:55
To chime back in and give myself a frame of reference, I am a strong hobby photographer. And sure, there are times having an SLR would have made taking shots in the woods a lot easier. I would still never bring any of my DSLR's, or their many lenses, on the trail. Too much weight, and all you're really getting is added convenience for taking photos. Equally good photos can be taken with a good P&S or EVIL camera, for much less weight, but more inconvenience.

Shutterbug's thoughts on file sizes and batteries are very good, and worth considering. Memory is getting much cheaper, so carrying a bunch of memory cards isn't going to be too expensive. And charging in towns isn't a problem, just carry an extra battery to get you from town to town. Or carry a Nikon D40... the batteries on those things lasts forever. Seriously. I can easily get 2000 shots or more off a single charge while shooting RAW. And it's super light too. Not sure about the newer Nikon lower-end cameras batteries, though. I know the D300 batteries and D7000 batteries don't last as long as the D40's.

Ender
05-01-2012, 16:56
Remember, it's not the camera, it's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to manipulate your camera (and in post-development) to present that vision.

Exactly what I was trying to say earlier, but stated much more succinctly than I ever could have put it.

Lyle
05-01-2012, 17:07
I used to carry a film SLR whenever I was backpacking. Then in the quest to lighten my pack weight (also the camera got stolen) I switched to digital P&S cameras. The compactness and the weight were nice, but the photos were not nor was the photo process. I will sometimes take an hour or two break, either during the day, or at the end, to do some photography. For the past year or two, I've been carrying a small dSLR (currently a D5100) again. The time I devote to photography is much more fun again. Since I will probably never hike 98% of the trail again, I want to have the opportunity to get some nice photos on this pass.

Can nice photos be taken with a P&S, sure, if the photographer is skilled enough. Does the smaller sensor size make a difference, even for them? Yep. Particularly in low-light, like around the shelters in the evening. Or for close-up photography.

Today's dSLRs and the modern plastic lenses offer amazing photo quality at much lighter weights than the older, more bombproof, but much heavier lenses of the film era.

My feeling is that:

1) I enjoy photography for photography sake.
2) I will probably never return to many of these areas.
3) I have spent much time and money to significantly lighten my pack and the other items I carry.

So, I've now gone back to SLR photography as my luxury.

A decent dSLR and one or two light weight lenses is not much more weight than the MP3 players, phones, GPS, Kindles, books, booze, heavier than necessary stoves, two wall tents, or some combination of these that other folks choose to carry. It is all a personal choice of what is right for you. For me, a good camera is right.

swammie
05-01-2012, 17:32
I used to carry a film SLR whenever I was backpacking. Then in the quest to lighten my pack weight (also the camera got stolen) I switched to digital P&S cameras. The compactness and the weight were nice, but the photos were not nor was the photo process. I will sometimes take an hour or two break, either during the day, or at the end, to do some photography. For the past year or two, I've been carrying a small dSLR (currently a D5100) again. The time I devote to photography is much more fun again. Since I will probably never hike 98% of the trail again, I want to have the opportunity to get some nice photos on this pass.

Can nice photos be taken with a P&S, sure, if the photographer is skilled enough. Does the smaller sensor size make a difference, even for them? Yep. Particularly in low-light, like around the shelters in the evening. Or for close-up photography.

Today's dSLRs and the modern plastic lenses offer amazing photo quality at much lighter weights than the older, more bombproof, but much heavier lenses of the film era.

My feeling is that:

1) I enjoy photography for photography sake.
2) I will probably never return to many of these areas.
3) I have spent much time and money to significantly lighten my pack and the other items I carry.

So, I've now gone back to SLR photography as my luxury.

A decent dSLR and one or two light weight lenses is not much more weight than the MP3 players, phones, GPS, Kindles, books, booze, heavier than necessary stoves, two wall tents, or some combination of these that other folks choose to carry. It is all a personal choice of what is right for you. For me, a good camera is right.

and that is why I take my DSLR with me sometimes. Can't beat it when trying for professional results. Some of Nikon's lightest, cheapest lenses are its best, so the add'l weight is relative. Just need to talk my hiking partner into carrying the whisky.

swammie
05-01-2012, 17:33
Exactly what I was trying to say earlier, but stated much more succinctly than I ever could have put it.

thanks, did I say that? Suppose I have a quote for my profile now.

Miner
05-01-2012, 17:35
First of all, a DSLR with its large sensor in comparison to a P&S or cell phone camera will take much better photos in low light situations which are often the better photos. The others are fine for most people in bright light situations. So if you get up late and stop early at a shelter, you might not care about light performance. For those of us who like to hike at dawn and sunset might want the larger camera. Get a Camera case that you can either hang from your shoulder straps or attach to your hip belt so that it will remain easily accessible so that you can take quick photos through out the day. Most people I've heard that complained that they never used their DSLR seemed to keep their cameras in their pack which means they never used it. Choose just 1 or (if you must) 2 lenses to bring for it that will cover most of the shots you want. I prefer to cover wide angle rather then high zoom for backpacking.

Back in the 90's I carried a film Canon Rebel SLR for years, just hung off my neck by the strap. I still have that camera and it still works. Sure it picked up a few scratches here and there, but no reason why it won't remain usable for years after a thru-hike if you just treat it like most UL backpacking gear and don't throw it around. Back when I thru-hiked the PCT in 2009, I carried a heavy camcorder that I stored in a case mounted to my shoulder strap. I could have it out and recording just as fast as most people with their P&S cameras. I bounced a small netbook with an external USB harddrive to copy HD footage off every 1.5 to 2 weeks. I carried a spare large capacity battery and kept the charger in my bounce box. I hiked with a guy who carried a Canon DSLR in a hipbelt case and his photos are much better then anyone elses I saw after our hike. I have a copy of his and several other people who hiked together so I could comapare ones taken at the same time and place. There was a clear difference that could be seen; particularly in early morning and evening shots.

For the AT this year, I'm taking a Canon Rebel T3i SLR in a hipbelt attached case by lowepro which I expect to use to get excellent photos and HD video. I'm going to bounce the same netbook again to copy photos and video footage though I may carry the charger with me this time since opportunities to charge are more numerous then they were on the PCT.

bigcranky
05-01-2012, 19:16
Are you a very good photographer? That is, will you be able to extract the added value of using a DSLR over using a point and shoot? I'm not trying to be offensive, it's just that I see lots of poor quality photos taken with both kinds of camera. A great photographer can shoot great photos with an iPhone or a p+s camera, while an inexperienced photographer can shoot bad photos with a professional camera (just ask my students. Ugh.)

I have a lot of cameras, from tiny point and shoots to behemoth professional DSLR bodies with giant lenses. If I were serious about shooting good images on a long distance hike, I would take one of the small mirrorless cameras now on the market, with a single prime lens in the 35-50mm (equivalent) range, and maybe a short telephoto. I am getting some seriously great photos from my Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras with the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 lenses, and the whole kit is smaller and weighs less than a Rebel with the kit zoom. The new Sony NEX system gets rave reviews, too, and the Olympus m4/3 cameras seem very nice.

I'd have a harder time justifying a large traditional DSLR with a large zoom. The weight does make a difference. However, to see an amazing set of photos taken with a large DSLR on a thru hike, click here (http://benbenvieblog.com/2010/09/tell-my-mom-not-to-worry-maine/). (Note that these are in reverse order; he did a nobo thru but the top photos are from Maine.) This photog, a professional in the "real world," carried a Canon 5D Mark II and the 35mm f/1.4 prime lens. Note that he did not start the trail with this combo, electing to get his trail legs first. Great photos.

Good luck and shoot lots of good photos.

swammie
05-01-2012, 19:42
However, to see an amazing set of photos taken with a large DSLR on a thru hike, click here (http://benbenvieblog.com/2010/09/tell-my-mom-not-to-worry-maine/). (Note that these are in reverse order; he did a nobo thru but the top photos are from Maine.) This photog, a professional in the "real world," carried a Canon 5D Mark II and the 35mm f/1.4 prime lens. Note that he did not start the trail with this combo, electing to get his trail legs first. Great photos.

Good luck and shoot lots of good photos.

Now those can justify the effort! I'm stuck in a similar mode with my Nikon gear. DOF with that lens and tack-sharp focus make the story easy to tell. Or I just whip out my iPhone to capture a moment that otherwise would have been impossible to get...being in the thick of things and not able to deal with a bulky DSLR dangling from my neck.

BlizzardChord
05-01-2012, 20:22
DSLR saves my life. I bring it on every single hike (but have not been on a long overnight type of hike.) I am an active photographer and Graphic Designer, so the fact that I bring my camera is kind of what pays my bills. Personally, any photos I take can be sold, I just need the right opportunity. My thoughts though? Take it, but put it on a neck strap. It might be heavier than a regular point and shoot, but it's still not a lot of weight. Keep it on the neck strap and out of the way of everything else.

Samson
05-02-2012, 10:12
I have been thinking about getting a nikon 1because of the size and weight. I have only taken my DSLR's on day hikes and they feel like I am carrying an extra 100 pounds at the end of the day.

Lyle
05-02-2012, 10:48
I have been thinking about getting a nikon 1because of the size and weight. I have only taken my DSLR's on day hikes and they feel like I am carrying an extra 100 pounds at the end of the day.

Try a LowePro triangular wedge pack. Use some light beiners to attach to your shoulder straps (I add a short loop of nylon cord to lower the camera and make it more convenient). Top opens out, away from your body, so the camera is readily accessible, protected, and since it is hanging from the shoulder straps, much more comfortable than around your neck. Some minor inconvenience occasionally when you have to push it aside to see precise foot placement, but this is just a minor annoyance.

Lyle
05-02-2012, 10:49
You do need to lighten all your other gear in order to feel comfortable with the extra weight, at least I did.

Samson
05-02-2012, 11:23
also the thought of dropping a $3k camera makes my face twitch a little lol

Lyle
05-02-2012, 11:39
also the thought of dropping a $3k camera makes my face twitch a little lol

I don't carry my "good" camera. There are entry level dSLRs for a lot less than $3000. Mine was well under $800 and it's brand new. You can get a somewhat older model that will still shoot the pants off of a P&S for $200-$300 quite easily.

Samson
05-02-2012, 12:12
I have a few dslr's at the ready. I would feel the same whether I dropped my d60 or my d800.

Sassafras Lass
05-02-2012, 15:49
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. This is my DREAM. But nope, P&S for our SOBO thru next month. I've only got my one system, which I use professionally occasionally, and I'm not going to spend AT dollars on insurance for it.

Check out Ben Benvie (http://benbenvieblog.com/tag/appalachian-trail/page/3/) for absolutely breathtaking photos of his hike. He hiked NOBO, so I've embedded the last page for you to work your way from. Makes me drool!

ankaka
05-02-2012, 23:20
Canon T2i is covered your requirement. Please read more details about this DSLR digital hd video camera (http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camera_c76) in below source before making the decision.

a-mater
07-25-2012, 18:38
hello all. new here and first post. i'm planning a 2014 thru hike. one of my biggest and most glaring questions was should i or can i take my DSLR with me on this trip. i'm a "serious hobby" photographer. i've got two bodies, the T1i and a 7D. of course, the T1i is lighter (considerably) but it doesn't have any weather sealing and a has a plastic body. The 7D is heavier but does offer the reassurance of weather sealing and a metal body.

i carry with a black rapids rs4 classic with brad mod (http://www.blackrapid.com/product/mods/brad/). i'm not concerned about the weight as much as i'm concerned about the banging against big rocks on climbs and scrambles.

another question to other photographers would be lens choice. with either body, i'd want to bring good glass. so IYO: 17-40, 24-70, 24-105 or my non "L" glass (but my favorite lens) the 50 1.4?

TIA.

kayak karl
07-25-2012, 18:55
not concerned about the weight NOW! you will be :)
banging rocks and scrambles. not all that much of that. if seen bottles of bourbon make it through NH and Me :)

scree
07-25-2012, 23:54
Sounds like a self-answering question: If you're really that into photography, then yes, otherwise get something that fits in your pocket and is preferably waterproof.

Mountain Mike
07-26-2012, 00:04
If you are into photography bring it. Just figure out how you will protect it. I carried one (film version) on AT. On my PCT hike I trashed it by spilling a water bottle on it in my tent. So never let your guard down.

deal
07-26-2012, 14:34
I'm also contemplating taking my Canon Rebel T1i on a thru-hike and/or the Camino in Spain. See the Cotton Carrier in my picture. I've experimented with it around my neighborhood and plan to use it when we hike up to Mt. LeConte this fall. My backpack will fit over it and the straps of the Cotton Carrier are not in the way of the backpack straps. http://www.cottoncarrier.com

Derf
07-26-2012, 14:55
We have gone back and forth on this very issue on how to document our hike and keep our clients engaged with us during our absence. We came up with weight being more of an issue then what lens or camera body to bring. So Canon helped us with the introduction of the Canon M series www.theverge.com/2012/7/23/3176697/canons-eos-m-arrives-a-799-99-aps-c-mirrorless-camera-competitor (http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/23/3176697/canons-eos-m-arrives-a-799-99-aps-c-mirrorless-camera-competitor). with an adapter for $150 the 5d or 7d can stay at home. Now all we need to do is figure out which two lens we will bring

bigcranky
07-26-2012, 22:25
i carry with a black rapids rs4 classic with brad mod (http://www.blackrapid.com/product/mods/brad/). i'm not concerned about the weight as much as i'm concerned about the banging against big rocks on climbs and scrambles.

another question to other photographers would be lens choice. with either body, i'd want to bring good glass. so IYO: 17-40, 24-70, 24-105 or my non "L" glass (but my favorite lens) the 50 1.4?

TIA.

I have carried heavy cameras over my shoulders while backpacking, though it was for work and only for an overnight. But I found that for the most part it wasn't a big deal in terms of damaging the cameras -- except on those rock scrambles, and in heavy rain, both of which require the camera to go inside the pack. But if you are used to having the camera hanging there, it's not bothersome at all.

Lens choice: with a Canon APS-C sensor, the 24-70 and 24-105 are not wide enough for me. The 17-40 isn't long enough. The 50 is a portrait lens on those cameras. I'd look at the 15-85 that Canon released a couple of years ago - great build quality and the 24-105 equivalent range is a good compromise. Or the new 18-135 that just came out. Not really that wide, but a good range and not too expensive.

If I wanted to take a serious camera on a hike, I'd take one of my micro 4/3 cameras with a fast lens, like the 20/1.7 (which is a 40mm equivalent), and maybe throw the 45/1.8 in my hip belt pocket. Great image quality in a very small package. Or I'd look at one of the new large-sensor compacts like the Canon G1X or the Sony RX100. I carried a G7 for several years, and loved the compact size, but the small sensor gave disappointing results except at ISO100. The newer models, with much larger sensors, are a great choice for the serious photographer on a long hike. Good manual control, raw files, decent lenses, and good control over depth of field.

Oh, and give some thought to not being concerned about weight.

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 22:41
People who aren't photographers don't understand those of us who carry heavy cameras on hikes. It is a personal thing. If you are not comfortable without your camera, take it. It will get beat up, but isn't that expected?

Give some thought to how you will transfer your pictures off the camera. Some DSLRs are up to 20 megabytes per photo. You won't be able to transfer those on a library computer. You will probably need to mail memory cards to someone who removes the pictures and sends it back farther up the trail.

Keeping a charged battery will also be a challenge. Most DSLR's won't use AAs.

I can't count the number of times I have wished I had my DSLR on a hike. I have missed some great shots when I left it at home. I agree that the reason is only to preserve personal memories, but that is important. I relive my adventures over and over.

explored this http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83372-Camera-that-might-not-need-a-charge-on-the-AT-trail-IMO-Best-Choice&p=1279899&viewfull=1#post1279899

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 22:44
the only technique to pass along is to shoot vertical when doing a panorama and hit the six photos with photoshop alignment. learned that from a prof. published Australian.

Odinn
07-27-2012, 02:09
Mr.Benvie's photos are amazing. On my previous trips with my 40d, it becomes a tiresome to have it around your neck, even after holding it but worth it IMO. If you love taking pictures and don't mind the extra 5-7lbs then I recommend it. I have gotten fantastic frames and the astrophotography blew me away at the Smokey's. I recommend wide and fast, and a 14mm or 24mm prime, but I just took a 18-55 kit and served me well + my monopod served as a trekking pole ;)

A thru hike might prove tricky but I used one out of three batteries on a 7-day and shot around 60 frames RAW. I've got a pretty large card so wasn't too worried and just bring extra, they only weight a few grams. Ill be taking mine for my 2013 SOBO, if you can manage to do a section take it out and see how it feels. I noted to myself to remember I'm carrying my camera in my pack, and try to avoid switching lenses. Don't wind up regretting, i know i would hate to.

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 20:04
Hey, I used an iPhone 4s in a Lifeproof case and the Camera+ app the majority of my trip- I sent my point and shoot home when I realized the pictures on the phone were better. Obviously, it can't compete with a DSLR. I found it to be the best compromise in weight, convenience and picture quality. Here are a few examples from my blog-

Mt. Katahdin from Abol Bridge- http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6i6joCiHd1qc47rao1_1280.jpg
Sunset in Stratton, ME- http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m66jiqU7aS1qc47rao1_1280.jpg
Franconia Ridge from Lonesome Lake- http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5qpe81A4H1qc47rao1_1280.png

the other benefit is you upload your pictures to your blog on the go, listen to music and make phone calls with one device. To each their own. - Mike

gumball
07-27-2012, 20:09
I have taken my DSLR on section hikes. I have a very compact Lowepro carry case that I thread thru my waistbelt. It has a built in rain cover. I wouldn't do it all the time and I really don't take any expensive lenses or my good dslr. The dslr I do take is a canon xsi--but I also have a nice little point and shoot I carry. Much easier.