PDA

View Full Version : new 3,000 mile trail?

Sh33p
04-05-2005, 18:42
Someone probably posted about this already, but i suck w/ the whole search thing so i thought Id post it myself.

U.S. Congress approves funding for trail project to span 3,000 miles from Gulf of Mexico to Cape Gaspe and will replace AT as official east coast National Scenic Trail Thats from backpackinglight.com...

Whats the deal with this new trail?

MOWGLI
04-05-2005, 18:50
Someone probably posted about this already, but i suck w/ the whole search thing so i thought Id post it myself.

Thats from...

Well a couple of things.

1. The AT is not going to be replaced.

2. The way that a trail receives National Scenic Trail designation is a prolonged process that requires Congressional aproval in all states that the trail passes through.

3. Congress wil not fund any trail construction in Canada. Cap Gaspe is in Quebec.

4. I couldn't find any such erroneous article on the web site above. Was this just a come on to get folks to visit that other web site?

Sh33p
04-05-2005, 18:54
Well a couple of things.

1. The AT is not going to be replaced.

2. The way that a trail receives National Scenic Trail designation is a prolonged process that requires Congressional aproval in all states that the trail passes through.

3. Congress wil not fund any trail construction in Canada. Cap Gaspe is in Quebec.

4. I couldn't find any such erroneous article on the web site above. Was this just a come on to get folks to visit that other web site?
No, its on the main page in the "News Ticker 4/1/05"... I thought it was weird thats why I posted...

MOWGLI
04-05-2005, 19:00
No, its on the main page in the "News Ticker 4/1/05"... I thought it was weird thats why I posted...

Thanks for clarifying. The whole News Ticker appears to be a goof.

PKH
04-05-2005, 19:10
It was an April Fool's joke, and a good one too.

Cheers,

PKH

Sh33p
04-05-2005, 19:13
haha, I am such a fool :datz

Omarwannahike
05-24-2005, 07:37
This might be reffereing to the International AT. of all thing i was reading about it this AM. Check out their website: http://www.internationalat.org/SIAIAT/

I hope this helps.

TakeABreak
05-24-2005, 08:22
Yeah, I knew the posting had be eroneous, because;

The AT & IAT closer to 3,000 miles, a trail extending to the Gulf Coast from Gaspe, would have to be around 4,000 miles, nimblewill walked from the Florida Keys to Gaspe Bay, which has been approximated at 5,000 miles.

I must admit it would be nice if Congress did approve funding for some of these other major tails, it would not take a lot of tourist off the AT, but it would allow the other trails funds for completion, taking the road walks away allowing a person to walk from Gaspe Bay to the Florida Keys, andnot walking on roads.

I bought Nimblewills, book last and read it through, and there were places a person would want to walk, because included days in major city's, fortunately he had people shuttle him those days, to their homes and back.

hikered
08-07-2005, 09:09

Thats from backpackinglight.com...

dont believe it...the AT is not going anywhere!