PDA

View Full Version : Bike Ride C&O GAP trail to Pittsburgh vs hiking Harpers Ferry to Duncannon?

DaSchwartz
05-01-2012, 23:32
Which would you recommend? I'm leaning toward doing the hike more... ALthough with cycling, I know I can always eat and get sodas and such all along the way. Need help, any recommendation??

Cookerhiker
05-02-2012, 07:26
If you're planning your trip for the summer, I'd do the bike ride because I think backpacking is harder in the heat.

If you decide on the cycle trip, I'd start in Pittsburgh, not in DC. Reason: the long 23 mile hill from Cumberland up to the Big Savage Tunnel - much nicer to go down!

Endorphinman
05-05-2012, 21:19
I'm planning on doing the Pittssburgh to DC ride over the memorial day weekend 2012. I wanted to do a "Light & Fast Pack" version of the trip ... 4 days on the bike and a bus or train ride back to Pittsburgh. Anyone interested ???

Cookerhiker
05-05-2012, 22:02
I'm planning on doing the Pittssburgh to DC ride over the memorial day weekend 2012. I wanted to do a "Light & Fast Pack" version of the trip ... 4 days on the bike and a bus or train ride back to Pittsburgh. Anyone interested ???

Hmmm - 80+ miles per day? I envy you if you're in bike-shape to do that ride in 4 days - no way I could do it. And you have to make DC in time for the 4:05 AMTRAK back to Pittsburgh.

I rode the C&O in early April in 3 1/4 days; that was enough!

Living in Pittsburgh, I guess you're aware that the AMTRAK doesn't arrive back in Pittsburgh until about midnight. Also, you can check your bike as baggage in DC but don't you have to box it?

BlackCloud
05-06-2012, 09:19
Cycling is much more enjoyable in the Mid-Atlantic in summertime than hiking, & the C&O is one of the finest cycling trails anywhere.

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2012, 09:40
Which would you recommend? I'm leaning toward doing the hike more... ALthough with cycling, I know I can always eat and get sodas and such all along the way. Need help, any recommendation??
Where are you planning to hike? If it's Pa or Md, then I'd opt for the bike trip. I've done that bike ride before and know many that have done it multiple times, it's nice, but for me it's a one-time thing, because I just don't like that type of riding; I'd much rather ride on the roads and visit towns, but that's just me.

If you're planning to hike somewhere like Va, or south of there I'd do the hike, but again that's just me and it's a biased opinion since I've done that bike ride before, my opinion I'm sure would be different if I hadn't completed it yet.

When you going? How much time? What are you're hiking location options?

LIhikers
05-06-2012, 22:47
You could hike the C+O and/or GAP. I hiked the C+O last spring. This year I started hiking the GAP but had to bail out when my friend who was hiking with me developed problems. I'll finish it one of these days. Both are easy, fast walking with places to camp and resupply right along the trail.