PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Solitare VS. MSR Hubba 1

Kitecop
05-02-2012, 05:08
I will be doin a 2-3week hike in Oct. starting just N of the smokey mtn park. I have ruled out using my hammock gear because i will have my dog. I have a Eureka Solitare right now. Is this tent gonna be funcional in that area? Will i be able to stake it in and run the guide lines or is the ground too hard? I am considering getting an MSR Hubba1 but i know it wont be nearly as warm as the Solitare which is a toaster oven.

Sarcasm the elf
05-02-2012, 08:48
Where does your dog sleep? inside or outside the tent? I'm looking into buying a 1 man tent also, but I ruled out the Hubba because my dog always sleeps in the tent with me and the floor size wasn't large enough. Right now I'm considering a tarptent rainbow or a lightheart solo since these are both closer to being 1.5 person size tents and my dog takes up about half the space of a person.

jersey joe
05-02-2012, 11:30
I thru-hiked with the Eureka gossamer(same as solitare) and you shouldn't have any issues setting it up north of the Smokeys.

Kitecop
05-02-2012, 15:31
he will be inside the tent, thats why i've decided tent over hammock. He's 40lbs so not a huge dog, he fits inside the Solitare w me just fine. I think the Hubba is a bit smaller but it has the vestibules too, that makes it much bigger than the Solitare. The pup can sleep out there if its not too cold and my pack can stay out there too. Id have to bring the pack inside w the Solitare.