PDA

View Full Version : just bought a jet boil

neo
04-05-2005, 23:15
i just bought a jet boil,i hike at night some time,last thing i want is a pain in the butt cooking situation,this setup wieghs more,but it seems to be unaffected by wind,uses very litte fuel,i am an ultra light high mile per day hiker,so wieght
is very criticle,i really love this set up:cool: neo

NECKBONE
04-06-2005, 11:05
Hey neo,
i too have just bought a jetboil. it uses no where near the fuel a "regular" stove does & boils quickly. since i use food packets that all you have to do is add boiling water, i have no mess to clean up, i carry no pots, i carry no cup, & it all packs up to the size of a nalg. bottle. my superfly stove has now been put on the shelf from here on out. NECKBONE

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 19:33
Ya'll had a chance to check out the french press set up for the jet boil? Pretty cool for coffee/tea drinkers.

plodder
04-06-2005, 19:49
Have you found that the SnowPeak fuel rattles compared to JetBoil fuel? Is it just me?

neo
04-06-2005, 19:52
Ya'll had a chance to check out the french press set up for the jet boil? Pretty cool for coffee/tea drinkers.
no i have not tried the coffee press yet,:cool: neo

chknfngrs
04-06-2005, 22:25
in response to the banging noise in a jetboil: simply place the fuel container's cap over the threads when storing inside the cannister, and you will have no bonking noises, with either type of fuel. It adds a centimeter or so to the mix.

neo
04-06-2005, 22:28
Have you found that the SnowPeak fuel rattles compared to JetBoil fuel? Is it just me?
i place a snow peak cartridge upside down in bottom of the pot with the plastic
cap on it,then i place the burner assemblely right side up on top of the cartride
no noticeable noise:cool: neo

MedicineMan
04-06-2005, 22:51
how about some data on the weights of the whole system and the $$ shelled out.

Rainman
04-06-2005, 23:06
Won't you still have the problem of finding fuel canisters along the trail, or mailing them in a drop. I thought all of the ultralighters were using alcohol stoves?

neo
04-07-2005, 00:10
14oz and i paid 79.99 at rei,it work great in the wind,easy to use after a 25 mile
per hike on the trail,its compact,all you need to add it a spork or spoon,or chopsticks,jet boil has obsoleted all my cook gear,its a kick butt system:cool: neo

neo
04-07-2005, 00:19
Won't you still have the problem of finding fuel canisters along the trail, or mailing them in a drop. I thought all of the ultralighters were using alcohol stoves?
one mini cartridge will last me 8 to 12 days,the larger cartridge will last me 16 to 24 days that is 4 to 8 oz fuel,and i hike 20 to 25 miles a day,i resupply every 4 days,so fuel will not be an issue,this is an awesome set up,i was skepticle because it wieghs 6oz heavier than my msr titan kettle and pocket rocket,
my pack,30 degree sleep quilt,oware sleep pad and hennessey ultra light hammock total 4 lbs and 6oz,so i can tolerate 6 more oz,plus 4oz fuel last
over a week,jet boil is the way i am going:cool: neo

neo
04-07-2005, 00:21
just think jetboil,jetboil,jetboil,jetboil,even baltimore jack has a jetboil:cool: neo

hikerjohnd
04-07-2005, 00:32
even baltimore jack has a jetboil:cool: neo

There's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one! :D I've thought of canister stoves, but do not like the high center of gravity... Does JetBoil address that? Is it primarily a water boiling system or can you actually cook with it? Thanks!

MedicineMan
04-07-2005, 00:32
you said 14oz....does that include the fuel canister???
if no then the total is how much with a fuel canister/??

budman5
04-07-2005, 01:14
Neo... You done yourself good. I have cooked some awsome meals on my Jetboil.
I get a good feeling everytime I cook with this stove, gone is the scattered parts of a makeshift cooking system.Good luck on the trail....

neo
04-07-2005, 07:36
you said 14oz....does that include the fuel canister???
if no then the total is how much with a fuel canister/??
total wieght of cartridge and cook system 21oz,i can cook 12 days with out
resupply fuel:cool: neo

do yourself a favor buy one

Just Jeff
04-07-2005, 08:11
I measured 13 oz including 1L pot, lid, cozy, handle (replace pot lifter), pot stand, stove, windscreen, heat exchanger, and measuring cup, all integrated into cooking system. (Comparing that weight to other stove/cookpot combos without including the other pieces ain't fair!)

6 oz for SnowPeak GigaPower 110g Isobutane/Propane Cannister, or 11 oz for Primus 225g Propane/Butane Cannister.

I paid the standard $79.95.

I guess it's got a higher center of gravity than alcohol stoves, but it's also more stable because everything is connected. The pot can't slide off the stove or anything. You could even pick the whole thing up and move it while it's cooking if you're careful (obviously not recommended in the instructions, though).

It's several ounces heavier than the standard pepsi can stove, but not too much when you include all of the components. The fuel cannisters are heavier than the soda bottles, though. But with a dry weight of <13 lbs for a weeklong trip (including the JetBoil), I can spare a few ounces for the awesome convenience of the whole set.

I just wish they'd make a pot with a more traditional shape...not a big fan of the tall skinny mug if you're actually trying to cook in it instead of just boiling water.

NECKBONE
04-07-2005, 08:16
hikerjohnd,
oh yes, you can even cook with this system if you want to. you will just have to clean the cup afterward. neckbone

MedicineMan
04-07-2005, 22:47
Thanks Neo, it looks good and would be fine in the sea kayak but
not on my back (or hips or knees or feet) and heres why...

i wish Sgt Rock would chime in here on this one...but here goes:
Snow Peak Trek 700 4.8oz.
Brasslite Turbo IIF 1.4oz.
alcohol bottle: 1oz. (maybe a hair lighter)
total 7.2oz
add fuel 10oz.
17oz. total....or almost 1/2 pound lighter than 24oz.

I dont like the fact that the JetBoil can boil over and run down the
whole thing, or the strap you use to hold it (snow peak 700 and others i'm sure have integral handles). I also dont like
carrying empty fuel containers that you will have to throw away..
it is also tall and i bet you will eventually knock it over by accident...
I dont like cylinders when it gets real cold, they dont work well if at all below 10F

I do like the price and the ability to simmer, its fuel efficiency,
but this efficiency on a global scale is minute compared to the production
of alcohol (i know this aint a global discussion)...

so my vote is no in favor of the simplicity, size, cost (esp of fuel) of the alcohol stoves.....

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 00:14
I've said it before about the same thing. You add almost a half pound to the system to save 0.16 ounces a burn. There are a lot more effective ways to save weight. But it seems some folks prefer a backpacking microwave. I honestly would prefer a good pocket rocket and pot system over the JetBoil for weight efficiency.

Edit...

After reading what I wrote, I might give the impression I would take the Pocket Rocket first. I would rather stick to alcohol. What I ment to say was even a Pocket Rocket canister stove is still more weight efficient over the JetBoil.

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 00:35
if you drop the canister/burner you could trash the thing...if you drop an alcohol stove maybe a dent but still functional....

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 00:43
To add to my last thought. Another reason I didn't really mess with this thread is Neo already bought it. Why should I tell him after the fact what the merits of alcohol are. As I hear it he already knew them anyway. Something about Plumorchard Shelter and a large fire :D

Just Jeff
04-08-2005, 06:58
Thanks Neo, it looks good and would be fine in the sea kayak but
not on my back (or hips or knees or feet) and heres why...

i wish Sgt Rock would chime in here on this one...but here goes:
Snow Peak Trek 700 4.8oz.
Brasslite Turbo IIF 1.4oz.
alcohol bottle: 1oz. (maybe a hair lighter)
total 7.2oz
add fuel 10oz.
17oz. total....or almost 1/2 pound lighter than 24oz.
13 oz + 6 oz = 19 oz...not 24. And again, you're not comparing the wind screen, heat exchanger, cozy...is the lid and handle included in the 4.8 oz?

I know it'll still be heavier. My big draw is the simplicity, though. YMMV.

I dont like the fact that the JetBoil can boil over and run down the
whole thing, or the strap you use to hold it (snow peak 700 and others i'm sure have integral handles).
I have had it boil over...had to wash the cozy. Strap is not a problem...I was actually thinking about cutting it off since you can just grab the cozy.

I also dont like carrying empty fuel containers that you will have to throw away..
No way around this for any cannister stove.

it is also tall and i bet you will eventually knock it over by accident...
Eh...you're not careful with your alcohol stove? I found the JetBoil more stable than my GP-pepsi can combo.

I dont like cylinders when it gets real cold, they dont work well if at all below 10F
True...I don't hike often in those temps. Maybe when I move to Colorado?

JetBoil is what I'm using for now...maybe I'll go back to alcohol if I find it's too much. The biggest turn-off for me is the shape of the cup...which also gives it some of its efficiency.

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 07:06
we worked with Neo on the CT last summer...if I could hike the miles he does I'd eat in town every night!

and a comment on windscreen---i think i carried one once, but why, better for me to dig a hole in the ground and place the brasslight down in the cavity about level with the ground, thats if no rocks are around

dont get me wrong, jetboil is a good concept just too complicated for me, you saw how bad i am at math, and to think i've been in the hospital all night dosing meds :)

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 07:11
i'm sure many know but for newbies, you can (and should carry an alcohol stove) with your canister stove if you think it will really be cold...using the alcohol stove to warm up the canister stove, dangerous? well maybe but it is done frequently in the northern lattitudes

MOWGLI
04-08-2005, 07:21
and a comment on windscreen---i think i carried one once, but why, better for me to dig a hole in the ground and place the brasslight down in the cavity about level with the ground, thats if no rocks are around

Ah Medicine Man. That's a no-no. Remember LNT! There is really only one reason you should be digging a hole out on the trail.

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 07:25
I can fill it back in!

forgot to mention, your comment smelled highly of wingfoot :)

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 07:59
13 oz + 6 oz = 19 oz...not 24. And again, you're not comparing the wind screen, heat exchanger, cozy...is the lid and handle included in the 4.8 oz?
Here is a comparable example stove system to the Jetboil which replicates every function a jetboil system has at a base load:

Evernew 0.9L Titanium Pot w/lid 4.01 oz
Foam cozy 0.88 oz
Scripto lighter 0.64 ounces
Collapsable fuel bottle 0.78 ounces
Windscreen 0.81 ounces
Brasslite Turbo IIF 1.41 ounces
12 ounces of alcohol 9.84 ounces
Start Weight Total = 18.37 ounces
Average weight per day over 7 days = 13.45 ounces

And an MSR Pocket Rocket with the same sort of set up:

Evernew 0.9L Titanium Pot w/lid 4.01 oz
Foam cozy 0.88 oz
Scripto lighter 0.64 ounces
MSR Pocket Rocket 3.04 ounces
4 ounce fuel canister 8 ounces
Start Weight Total = 16.57 ounces
Average weight per day over 7 days = 14.57 ounces

Jetboil PCS:

Cup and Cozy 7.42 ounces
Lid 1.13 ounces
Burner 6.01 ounces
Lower cup protector 0.88 ounces
100g JetBoil Canister 6.82 ounces
Start Weight Total = 22.26 ounces
Average weight per day over 7 days = 20.49 ounces

bulldog49
04-08-2005, 09:25
Does every thread that starts out discussing WG or canister stoves have to be hijacked by alchol stoves, or someone asking about a tent end up being lectured to about hammocks? You guys are as bad as the people going door to door trying to convert you to some religion. If I see a thread with a title on a subject I'm not interested in, such as hobo stoves or hammocks, I skip over them and don't waste my time. If I see a thread on the subject of a Jetboil stove, I'd like to read and discuss the jetboil without the need to sift through the same old arguments of why some folks prefer an alternative system.

In the end, no particular system or piece of gear is "best", what works for one person may not for another. I enjoy hearing what works for others, and sometimes find new ways of doing things, but I hate it when I feel I'm being lectured to, especially when the same information is being repeated over and over.

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 09:27
I tend to agree. I was just responding to someone else.

Youngblood
04-08-2005, 10:22
Ah Medicine Man. That's a no-no. Remember LNT! There is really only one reason you should be digging a hole out on the trail.Yeah, when I read that I thought MM was setting up some kind of dual use joke... where the punch line was "always remember to take the stove out first or at least be dang sure it has quit burning".

Youngblood

lbbrown
04-08-2005, 10:23
Jetboil recently announced the release on May 1 of new accessories. Metal feet clip on the burner to hold pots and frying pans. Also a stabilizer foot for the small fuel canister similar to the ones used on MSR canisters.Go to www. jetboil.com to see them. On my own JETBOIL stove I have used MSR isopro and now testing PRIMUS 4 season mix of propane,iosbutane and butane. A 15.9 oz. canister from REI is just under $8. I don't plan on backpacking the 15.9 canister. I use it at work for coffee, tea and soup. If I get a gas lantern attachment (Brunton has one) I might take it. The MSR canister is 12oz. gross weight and 8 oz net weight giving you twice the fuel of the Jetboil canister for about 50 cents more but it doesn't fit in the cup. Sure beats running out of fuel. A few ounces of insurance is worth it IMHO.

neo
04-08-2005, 11:36
the bottom line for me,i have used every system or simular system mentioned

but this system works in the wind like nothing else,everynoe has to hike thier own hike,everyone has to choose own gear,i judge my tech by,light wieght but also
how it works,time and performance,i will use this system on a 16 day section hike from dalton mass to gorham nh.:cool: neo

Just Jeff
04-08-2005, 16:25
Here is a comparable example stove system to the Jetboil which replicates every function a jetboil system has at a base load:
My measured weights came in a few ounces less than yours, but I was using a cheap scale. I think a big factor in the "average weight per day" comes in the the weight of the fuel cannister...it weighs more than a plastic fuel bottle.

But like I said...it's the convenience that draws me in. I know I could go lighter but choose not to.

Thanks for providing such great info on a great site, Rock!

Jeff

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 16:32
of hijacking the thread to alcohol....mea culpa

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2005, 18:35
"Replicates every function" of the Jetboil?

Well, sorta.

Except for two things......first off, the JetBoil will have you eating your dinner a lot sooner than if you're cooking with an alcohol stove. I'm yet to see any alcohol sysytem that burns as hot or as quick as the JB, so I'm not sure "replicates" is entirely accurate. "Imitates" maybe, but "replicates" is a bit strong. In several instances in the field, when compared to folks using various alcohol stoves, I've been eating my Jetboil-cooked dinner anywhere from three to ten minutes before these guys.

Secondly, preliminary study indicates that the small fuel cannister will last a lot longer than seven days; I've talked to some folks who've gotten several weeks or more out of a cannister, so the "average" daily weight of the alcohol system may in fact be a little low......what would this figure be if we were talking about 10-14 days worth of fuel weight and not seven?

In short, while an alcohol-based stove system will save you a bit of weight, and will be cheaper to operate in the long run, for an extra five or six ounces per day, I think the JB system will appeal to a lot of folks, especially those who want to be eating as quickly as possible.

Another note.....the initial cost of the JB stsyem is probably about the same as the alcohol system described, as the total cost of both the Brasslite and
the Evernew pot are about the same as the entire JB system, so going this route does not save you a whole lot of money....you'll save on fuel, eventually, but the JB system means you don't have to go spending 35-40 bucks on a cookpot.

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 19:03
"Replicates every function" of the Jetboil?

Well, sorta.Hmmmm...:-?

Your right. my examples don't need a 1' long spoon to get to the bottom of the pot with, doesn't add an extra half pound of weight, nor does it stand 24" tall when assembled. :bse

:sun

Other than that, it does everything.

As to time, I was just going off a general timeline. I'm sure that Brasslite users would report they can go longer than 7 days on 12 ounces of fuel, and Pocket Rocket people would say they can go for longer than 7 days on 4 ounces of fuel.;)

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 19:36
Ohh, and apologies again to the Jetboil people. I just couldn't resist it when Jack ribbed me.

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 21:34
again not to prolong the agony of the JB owners---i'm on the verge or ordering one for the kayak---who think we alcohol burners stole the thread, but its good to see how very seasoned and professional hikers, e.g. Rock and Baltimore Jack, approach the equation of which is better.
There is no way i would ever get more than 7 dinners with 7oz of alcohol, seems i always spill a bit.
With Neo and Jack both reporting that the canister is VERY long I'm even more convinced it has a sea kayaking option...when people wet exit a quick hot drink is often a life saver, you are supposed to keep a thermos with hot drinks in the day hatch but with the speed of the JB you have yet another option.
On the speed of cooking issue I'm usually farting around camp pittling when cooking and the cozy time is usually around 20 minutes so the JB def. has the advantage there.

Now what did Rock mean with a spoon 1' long?

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 21:39
Just exxagerating. The cup on the JetBoil is 7" deep. Overall height when set up is really something around 12" tall.

Personally, if I were going to go to a gas burner I really would look at something like the Pocket Rocket and fabricate or buy one of those new flame guard things I have seen. The Jet Boil stove systems I have messed with were not to my liking at all. I do like the idea however, I just would have implemented it differently if it were me as a designer.

MedicineMan
04-09-2005, 00:20
Even funnier how we will stick with something even after exposure to something maybe better. I know I carried an Optimus 99 for 20 years and i bet Lone Wolf carried a Svea that long or longer. With my Scoutmaster (still hiking at 78) he loves the Sierra Zip stove, the one with the battery and the little fan. I remember racing him with the zip stove, i had a MSR XGR. It was no contest and when we discussed the merits of each stove he put is simply that he loved having fuel all around him in the guise of sticks and twigs and a piece of charcoal from a spent fire.
I guess someday we get a post here about someone carrying a striker and flint, a piece of foil to put into a depression (I'll make sure he fills it in Mogli) in the ground for a boiling vessel and a total weight of 2 ounces once a spork is thrown in, well probably this type will carve a spork on the spot.
Who knows maybe some manufacturer will introduce refillable canisters and places along the trail can refill them...that's my only real negative about canister stoves-
At least we're still cooking, there is some movement to no cook hiking.

neo
04-09-2005, 00:36
To add to my last thought. Another reason I didn't really mess with this thread is Neo already bought it. Why should I tell him after the fact what the merits of alcohol are. As I hear it he already knew them anyway. Something about Plumorchard Shelter and a large fire :D
not a large fire,it did flare up when i added more fuel to a hot stove,its was a swedish military trangia model,ok i was a dumb ass,i alo carried a 60 lb combat pack then,15 miles per day kicked my butt with a 60lb pack:cool: neo

SGT Rock
04-09-2005, 06:34
We have all had our moments :sun

Clark Fork
05-07-2005, 12:06
Jetboil on sale $59.99 May 6-15. REI Catalog 708-890. Lots in Stock at local store

Other items of interest:

MSR Miox $99.99 reg $129.95
Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp $26.99 reg $35.95

Clark Fork in Western Montana REI member since December 1963

lbbrown
05-07-2005, 14:16
Available May 13th ......stabilizer feet for the cannister and supports for a FRYING PAN!!!!!! Go to www.jetboil.com (http://www.jetboil.com) for info and recipes.

rgarling
05-09-2005, 09:42
First, I'll admit that I have been an alcohol user, and have recently purchased a JetBoil, so you might guess where this is going...

SGT Rock's stats on Jetboil PCS:

Cup and Cozy 7.42 ounces
Lid 1.13 ounces
Burner 6.01 ounces

HOWEVER,:-?

After boiling 14 pints of water, the jetboil canister is about half full. This means 2 people can share the jetboil for the duration of SGT Rock's example hike at the same weight. Furthermore, they won't be waiting around since the JetBoil is more than twice as fast. Perhaps the JetBoil stats should be changed to 11 ounces per day... a clear winner.

neo
05-09-2005, 14:05
First, I'll admit that I have been an alcohol user, and have recently purchased a JetBoil, so you might guess where this is going...

Cup and Cozy 7.42 ounces
Lid 1.13 ounces
Burner 6.01 ounces

After boiling 14 pints of water, the jetboil canister is about half full. This means 2 people can share the jetboil for the duration of SGT Rock's example hike at the same weight. Furthermore, they won't be waiting around since the JetBoil is more than twice as fast. Perhaps the JetBoil stats should be changed to 11 ounces per day... a clear winner.

i have to agree,i was a die hard alcohol stove user for years,till i found a better way,the jet boil is the only way to fly:cool: neo

grrickar
05-09-2005, 16:16
A couple of comments:

One is that you JB users might want to look into a Brunton canstand to stablize the system. I have a canister stove and I use it, and it does a fine job: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47792714&parent_category_rn=4500641&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Another handy thing to have are these little fuel gauges to tell how much is left in the canister: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47792718&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&addon=708995-708997&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE&vcat=REI_SEARCH

These are reusuable, unlike the adhesive ones I bought (old style)

As much debate as there is with alcohol versus everything else, why not have a shoot-out at Trail Days? I cannot make it, but I'd love to see the results. I love my Optimus Crux, but if JB made a different pot to cook in I think my gear closet would have one in it. I saw a guy using one at a shelter in the GSMNP, and it was fast.
Alcohol stoves are simple, nothing to break, but aren't for everyone. I'd say there is a better chance of mishaps with alcohol than canister, and even liquid fuel stoves. I made a bunch and was going to show the Scouts how to make them, and the Scoutmaster pointed out that the flame is almost invisible in the daytime, and he was concerned with having the guys use them for safety's sake. That and the fact that a fire could easily result from spilled fuel, which would be true for any liquid fuel stove.

SGT Rock
05-09-2005, 18:27

Cup and Cozy 7.42 ounces
Lid 1.13 ounces
Burner 6.01 ounces

Again, never used a JetBoil, but I have read some very precise testing that indicates a true boil is achived at a much higher consumption than you are indicating when you say that a 4 ounce container would last for 24 pints boiled. At that rate it would mean that the JetBoil is achieving 212.5F from 55F water on only 3.7 grams of fuel per boil, which given that this would require 163.8 BTUs and 3.7 grams of fuel would only have 162.8 BTUs, this means even in a 100% efficient stove system you would still be 1 BTU short. According to very accurate tests performed, even under optimal conditions it required close to twice that amount of fuel to truly boil a pint of water. Now if you decide you want less than a pint boiled, or start with warmer water, or whatever, to have a real comparison you should apply equal standards. And doing all that, the Coleman F1 Ultralight stove was determined in their tests to only require about 20% more fuel using a plain old stainless steel pot, and only taking 40 seconds more. If I were looking for a true performer in canister stoves, I would be looking at the Coleman Exponent F1 Xtreme.

The same thing can be said for alcohol. While these tests showed it took about 7 grams for a jetboil to cook (this would work out to 14 true boiled per canister) the Advance Mountain Products Jet 16 was found to take about 10.8 grams of alcohol.

Frosty
05-09-2005, 19:13
I've said it before about the same thing. You add almost a half pound to the system to save 0.16 ounces a burn. There are a lot more effective ways to save weight. But it seems some folks prefer a backpacking microwave. re: the last sentence: Stop sniveling!

SGT Rock
05-09-2005, 22:31
re: the last sentence: Stop sniveling!:p

LOL, not sniveling. Just trying to be objective instead of subjective. BTW, that is how I got my new job as the stove editor for BackpackingLight.

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2005, 09:56
Just want to report that after 25 days in the field, my JB is doing great; one small cannister lasted more than two weeks (tho I didn't use it on a few town days); this includes dinner and coffee/tea, sometimes in the AM and always in the evening.

You can indeed cook meals in it, it's not just for boiling water.

In short, it does everything it advertises, it's very fuel efficient, very quick, and very easy to use. In my opinion, it's worht the weight "penalty."

And I'm glad Rock clarified some of his comments, but even his clarification contained errors, no doubt the result from his own admitted ignorance of the product: The cup depth is about five and a half inches, not seven, and the unit stands at 11 and a half inches, and not a foot.

Rock says he's never used a Jet Boil. I look forward to reading more of his comments after he's had the opportunity to do so.

rgarling
05-10-2005, 10:29
Sgt Rock: 3.7 grams of fuel would only have 162.8 BTUs

Where does this figure come from?

neo
05-10-2005, 10:55
Just want to report that after 25 days in the field, my JB is doing great; one small cannister lasted more than two weeks (tho I didn't use it on a few town days); this includes dinner and coffee/tea, sometimes in the AM and always in the evening.

You can indeed cook meals in it, it's not just for boiling water.

In short, it does everything it advertises, it's very fuel efficient, very quick, and very easy to use. In my opinion, it's worht the weight "penalty."

And I'm glad Rock clarified some of his comments, but even his clarification contained errors, no doubt the result from his own admitted ignorance of the product: The cup depth is about five and a half inches, not seven, and the unit stands at 11 and a half inches, and not a foot.

Rock says he's never used a Jet Boil. I look forward to reading more of his comments after he's had the opportunity to do so.
right on jack,the jet boil works for me,i love it,i bought the jet boil companion
mug for my wife same set up minus the stove,:cool: ball-n-chain,aka:cool: neo

SGT Rock
05-10-2005, 12:12
Sgt Rock: 3.7 grams of fuel would only have 162.8 BTUs

Where does this figure come from?I did the math real quick in my head. Basically the fuel has ~ 21,000 BTUs per pound. There are 28.3 grams per ounce, so 28.3*16 = 492.8 grams per pound. Take 21,000/492.8 = 43 BTUs +/- per gram. So 3.7*43 = 159.1 BTUs, so I did a math error last night, you would be even shorter by a few BTUs than I originally estimated.

How to get the BTUs required - 1 BTU = the amount of energy required to increase the temperature in one pound of water by one degree. 1 pint of water (16 ounces) weighs 1.04 pounds. So 212.5F-55F = 157.5F degrees needed to increase creek water to a boil at sea level. 157.5 * 1.04 = 163 BTUs needed, so I was also off by a little on that.

So 159.1 BTUs produced - 163 BTUs needed = 4 BTUs short, and that assumes a 100% efficient system, which even the Jet Boil is not.

And my mistake on their dimensions came from their own literature, so in my dimensions being off I plead no-contest :D

Honestly I would love to play with one, but I like playing with all stoves. Right now I am lining up the 5 lightest WG stoves I could find for a comparison review that will include testing the stove's ability to perform in 10+ MPH winds at 15F while melting snow. I've been looking at some of the canister reviews to see what has the best fuel efficiency and heat performance across the spectrum because I want to get one of those to play with too.

rgarling
05-10-2005, 12:40
Sgt. Rock: "I've been looking at some of the canister reviews to see what has the best fuel efficiency and heat performance accross the spectrum because I want to get one of those to play with too."

This guy has some test results that might be of interest to you at the end of his article: http://thehowzone.com/how/Jetboil/

Also, thanks for the explanation of your calculations. BTW, JetBoil says their stove is about 80% efficient. I think they must assume that they start with 65*F water when determining the # of boils you can get from a fuel canister. They say to assume you can boil 6 liters per canister when melting snow.

Stoker53
05-10-2005, 13:08
Can all the folks who posted weights in ounces re-post and convert to grams. I'm cutting/pasting the thread for a friend in Moldavia......:banana and he is metric to the bone.

Yea I know it's 28 gr/oz but I'm lazy.:p

ripple
05-10-2005, 13:25
ooops

my bad

SGT Rock
05-10-2005, 13:37
Sgt. Rock: "I've been looking at some of the canister reviews to see what has the best fuel efficiency and heat performance accross the spectrum because I want to get one of those to play with too."

This guy has some test results that might be of interest to you at the end of his article: http://thehowzone.com/how/Jetboil/

Also, thanks for the explanation of your calculations. BTW, JetBoil says their stove is about 80% efficient. I think they must assume that they start with 65*F water when determining the # of boils you can get from a fuel canister. They say to assume you can boil 6 liters per canister when melting snow.No problem. This is why I always state the variables and try to explain how I arrive at things in my tests when I do them. I've read people claiming a JetBoil boiling water in a minute, but that would have to be someone with just a little water, or hot water, or at 30,000' LOL.

I have read that article and I found the data to be pretty good and about on line with other tests I have seen: basically a JetBoil can Boil water in about 3 minutes and average about .175 ounces per boil or about 5 grams per boil - but the tests were done with 60F water as a start point and a 206F end point which would account for the difference in about 2 grams of fuel usage from one to another test. I would also say that just about any test will probably have a +/- 1 gram margin of error. So if a JetBoil is 80% efficient as they claim, then I would predict to reach a TRUE BOIL (not just making hot water with some bubbles in it which is about 190-200F) at say 3,000' - 206.6F from 55F creek water and no wind, it would take 151.6*1.04= 158.6 BTUs, which would be about .80X=158.6 (this calculates for 80% efficiency) or 198.25 BTUs, which would be 4.6 grams of their fuel. Since the small JetBoil canister is 100 grams of fuel, this would be 20 boils +/- 1 boil assuming all variables never change. BUT, even the positive reviews with tests do not display an 80% efficiency, I tink it is closer to the 60%-70% range.

Something that stove test did not take into account on the 1 quart test was the extra efficiency that is derived from doing a quart one pint at a time, since this was the way the JetBoil was tested, the other two stoves should have also had a similar comparison test.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-10-2005, 19:22
I've said it before about the same thing. You add almost a half pound to the system to save 0.16 ounces a burn. There are a lot more effective ways to save weight. But it seems some folks prefer a backpacking microwave. I honestly would prefer a good pocket rocket and pot system over the JetBoil for weight efficiency.

Edit...

After reading what I wrote, I might give the impression I would take the Pocket Rocket first. I would rather stick to alcohol. What I ment to say was even a Pocket Rocket canister stove is still more weight efficient over the JetBoil.
That backpacking microwave has me hooked. Where can I send my sherpa to buy one?

SGT Rock
05-10-2005, 19:27
I'm working on making one right now :p I figure I can make a fortune on them :jump

"ME & U"
05-10-2005, 20:22
saw it mentioned and wanted to add in...
There's an accesory pan set up for the JB and I held one today. It's a pretty sweet looking deal and worth checking out. Go to EMS.com!

Ridge
05-10-2005, 22:01
I like the jetboil's looks. My hubby says it isn't even close to the Sierra Zip woodburner. How does he know? hikerwife

plodder
05-11-2005, 03:49
Does it work? Does it make you smile? Yankee criteria.

neo
01-26-2007, 15:01
i just bought a jet boil,i hike at night some time,last thing i want is a pain in the butt cooking situation,this setup wieghs more,but it seems to be unaffected by wind,uses very litte fuel,i am an ultra light high mile per day hiker,so wieght

:D yep jetboil is still king:cool: neo

neo
01-26-2007, 15:03
just think jetboil,jetboil,jetboil,jetboil,even baltimore jack has a jetboil:cool: neo

:) its even better with a camo cozy:cool: neo

zelph
02-01-2008, 15:22

Hey Neo!!!! any idea what might cause the jet boil to blow off like in this video? Looks like it would scare the daylights out of ya just when you thought everything was goin good, might even make your hand go bald:D

Be careful, take along a spare alchy stove just in case yours blows.:banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEJ3uoSk_I&feature=related

Summit
02-01-2008, 19:23
Well, anyone who turns the burner on and waits a few seconds to press the igniter would probably find a way to blow themselves up with an alcohol stove too! :D :p

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2008, 21:53
I've had mine do that, it's just a quick flame and it's gone. Happens to me when I open the fuel valve too much. They're over dramatizing the whole thing - not a big deal.
At one shelter there was a guy cooking with a jetboil, he had the lid sealed on the cup and forgot about it. The boiling water eventually blew the top off and water went everywhere. That's why I just cover the cup without sealing the lid.

mudhead
02-02-2008, 08:42
Agree.

Does make me want to go see if I can get a bigger "poof." Maybe not.

I wonder if the newer use directions say something like "open 1/2 turn," or some such.

Hooch
02-02-2008, 10:03
Caldera Cone (http://antigravitygear.com/cald_cone.php)........the JetBoil of the alcohol stove folks. The only way to go Bay-Beee! :D

Skidsteer
02-02-2008, 10:17
Caldera Cone (http://antigravitygear.com/cald_cone.php)........the JetBoil of the alcohol stove folks. The only way to go Bay-Beee! :D

What kind of stats are you getting with your Caldera, Hooch?

You know, like how much alcohol to boil 2 cups and how many minutes? Basic stuff.

Hooch
02-02-2008, 10:24
What kind of stats are you getting with your Caldera, Hooch?

You know, like how much alcohol to boil 2 cups and how many minutes? Basic stuff.Skidster, I don't have a lot of numbers, but I did write a quick review after I got it and gave it a test burn. Here's the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31711) to that thread. :D

Skidsteer
02-02-2008, 11:00
Skidster, I don't have a lot of numbers, but I did write a quick review after I got it and gave it a test burn. Here's the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31711) to that thread. :D

Thanks Hooch.

So far most of the tests I've seen are using about an ounce of fuel for a two cup burn. I haven't been able to find any that use less than 20 ml successfully.

Certainly that is decent performance and will get the job done but I guess I don't get all the hullabaloo so far. :confused:

Hooch
02-02-2008, 11:29
Fair enough, to each their own. I'll just leave it at saying I love mine. :D

quasarr
02-27-2008, 01:07
Hey guys,

I didn't read through the whole thread so I'm sorry if this has been covered. How hard is it to find Jetboil canisters in town? Can you buy them in most places?

I'm sticking with alcohol, but my boyfriend wants to use a Jetboil.

take-a-knee
02-27-2008, 01:15
Thanks Hooch.

So far most of the tests I've seen are using about an ounce of fuel for a two cup burn. I haven't been able to find any that use less than 20 ml successfully.

Certainly that is decent performance and will get the job done but I guess I don't get all the hullabaloo so far. :confused:

I got a roiling boil with 15ml/16oz tap water. IIRC water from the fridge was barely boiling at 18ml. I was using yellow bottle HEET. Packing that cone is a PITA. Hooch sent me his recipe but I haven't played with it again. I'm kinda likin' my used whitebox stove I picked up, it takes a couple more ml's to boil but I don't have a problem with that, that thing is bombproof, I can tear up an anvil. Tinny says if you wickatize that whitebox it improves it greatly.

Wags
02-27-2008, 02:36
anyone try out anything like this?

http://www.trailstove.com/winter/

Heater
02-27-2008, 04:25
anyone try out anything like this?

http://www.trailstove.com/winter/

I am going to order a "bushbuddy" tomorrow. I like tending a fire, can get 'em going quick and like to actually "cook" and stuff like that. ;)

I think a woodburner fits my style best.

Heater
02-27-2008, 04:25
I am going to order a "bushbuddy" tomorrow. I like tending a fire, can get 'em going quick and like to actually "cook" and stuff like that. ;)

I think a woodburner fits my style best.

Bushbuddy (http://bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html)

HIKER7s
02-27-2008, 08:00

Hey Neo

I have had my Jet Boil a year now and love it. I was using the pocket rocket for 5 years and its still going strong with my son now using it.

Once again I love it.

I have to find a good alternative in sub freezing weather though.

Cindy from Indy
02-27-2008, 08:43
How hard is it to find Jetboil canisters in town? Can you buy them in most places?

I would like to know this too. Anyone, anyone......;)

Hooch
02-27-2008, 08:49
How hard is it to find Jetboil canisters in town? Can you buy them in most places?

I would like to know this too. Anyone, anyone......;)Although I don't know this to be factual, since I don't own a JetBoil, I'm pretty sure that you can use any isobutane/propane canister fuel. Canister fuel is readily available in most outfitters along the trail. Can anyone who owns a JetBoil substantiate this? :D

sheepdog
02-27-2008, 09:16
A jet boil can be used with most any canister fuel. MSR, Brunton, Coleman have all worked with mine. The only thing is they don't fit in the pot.

Cindy from Indy
02-27-2008, 09:20
A jet boil can be used with most any canister fuel. MSR, Brunton, Coleman have all worked with mine. The only thing is they don't fit in the pot.

OH! I did not know this. That is great!! Thanks for the info!!!:D

Summit
02-27-2008, 14:36
The larger one (can't remember the capacity) is great as it will last easily a couple of weeks, but as sheepdog said, it won't fit down in the pot. I loooooove my JetBoil! Just picked up the coffee press for it a couple days ago. Now I can eliminate my separate coffee press mug . . . the weight's comin' off! :D

twosticks
02-27-2008, 16:06
The larger one (can't remember the capacity) is great as it will last easily a couple of weeks, but as sheepdog said, it won't fit down in the pot. I loooooove my JetBoil! Just picked up the coffee press for it a couple days ago. Now I can eliminate my separate coffee press mug . . . the weight's comin' off! :D

The only problem with the coffee press is the fact that you have coffee grinds all over the thing you're using to boil water to make your food. It's a mess and a pain to clean. I started with the coffee press because I love my coffee but am now looking at alternatives.

Zachayak
02-27-2008, 16:24
You guys sure are using up a lot of canisters. Are you going to be able to recycle all of those cans?

Sissygirl
02-27-2008, 16:32
I had looked at one at Sports Authority. Actually, both the personal size and then the larger one. I am looking for any negatives connected with using this system. The price I saw was the same as earlier stated.

mudhead
02-27-2008, 16:55
The only problem with the coffee press is the fact that you have coffee grinds all over the thing you're using to boil water to make your food. It's a mess and a pain to clean. I started with the coffee press because I love my coffee but am now looking at alternatives.

Thanks. I have wondered about that. Saved me a couple bucks.

Rainman
02-27-2008, 19:40
I had looked at one at Sports Authority. Actually, both the personal size and then the larger one. I am looking for any negatives connected with using this system. The price I saw was the same as earlier stated.

I have used my JetBoil for my last several hikes. It has no negatives unique to it. It shares some of the negatives associated with any canister fuel stove, primarily related to availability, cold weather use, and disposal of the canisters themselves. The advantages over other canister stoves is examined at length on this thread.

What I have decided for myself is that I will definitely use this stove over my alcohol or esbit setups for any section hikes with a duration that allows easy carry of one or two canisters with no re-supply issues. This is generally in the 10-14 day range. Since this is the max amount of time I can go for the foreseeable future, I have not made any final decision about what I would do on a longer hike.

Summit
02-27-2008, 19:42
The only problem with the coffee press is the fact that you have coffee grinds all over the thing you're using to boil water to make your food. It's a mess and a pain to clean. I started with the coffee press because I love my coffee but am now looking at alternatives.Haven't tried it out yet - will this weekend and let you know how I get on with it. I have been using a plastic mug with built-in coffee press, and it's very easy to clean . . . just fill about 1/3 full of water, get it swirling around real good and fling it into the bushes (away from camp). Repeat once and it's usually clean as a whistle. Coffee grounds, while not native to the environment, I'm sure they make good fertilizer for the plants.

Summit
02-27-2008, 19:43
You guys sure are using up a lot of canisters. Are you going to be able to recycle all of those cans?Recycle? When empty I just throw mine at alki-stove hikers! :D :p

sheepdog
02-27-2008, 20:04
I have the coffee press. The coffee tastes great but, It seems to make my pot smell like coffee even after it is cleaned and puts a coffee taste in my food.

Skidsteer
02-27-2008, 20:09
Recycle? When empty I just throw mine at alki-stove hikers! :D :p

Cool!

Raw material.

rasudduth
02-27-2008, 20:25

Just did a SOBO thru last year and never ever had a problem along the AT ever finding fuel canisters in towns. Remember that all the fuel canisters work with your jetboil, not just the jetboil brand. When it is really cold I found it helped having the larger sized canisters that didn't fit inside the personal cup. But, to have my stove fire up with no problem was worth it.

You can recycle them, but alas the East Coast is not into recycling as much as the West, so frequently you will just have to discard them in the trash once empty.

Hooch
02-27-2008, 20:29
Cool!

Raw material.Only you, Skids. Only you. :rolleyes:

Summit
02-27-2008, 22:00

Just did a SOBO thru last year and never ever had a problem along the AT ever finding fuel canisters in towns. (Snip)

You can recycle them, but alas the East Coast is not into recycling as much as the West, so frequently you will just have to discard them in the trash once empty.That's great to know! Now if they just had four trash bins at every road: metal, plastic, glass, paper. Wouldn't that be sweet? :)

Erin
02-27-2008, 22:18
I have had a jet boil since the year it came out. Great! But watch that mesh metal ignition element. Mine fell out on the ground. I still had it and put it back on and it still worked, but I knew I would eventually lose it this nickel sized mesh. I took it back,to the place I purchased it with no receipt. I purchased it over a year before. I really thought I would get hosed. The outfitter exchanged it for a new one with no problem. They just send it back to Jet Boil and get the reimbusement from the company. A good example of standing by their product.

HIKER7s
02-28-2008, 07:13

I bypass all that and just boil the water and use the coffee "teabags".

Quick

Hooch
02-28-2008, 07:28
I bypass all that and just boil the water and use the coffee "teabags".

QuickDitto. I don't drink much coffee at all except when I'm hiking in cooler weather. I buy the Folger's coffee singles bags and they work just fine for me. They're cheap, quick and easy.

Summit
02-28-2008, 07:52
Yeah, coffee bags work when you want a good cup of coffee, just like salisbury steak works when you want a good steak. :eek:

As to "cheap, quick, and easy," I get a very good gourmet coffee for about $2/lb. and the steep time for bags and grounds in a press are identical. Cleanup is simple: two swirl/rinses of the mug with a little water and I'm done. My grounds go into the bushes where they make good fertilizer. I assume you tote your spent coffee bags until the next trash dump?

Hooch
02-28-2008, 08:01
Yeah, coffee bags work when you want a good cup of coffee, just like salisbury steak works when you want a good steak. :eek:

As to "cheap, quick, and easy," I get a very good gourmet coffee for about $2/lb. and the steep time for bags and grounds in a press are identical. Cleanup is simple: two swirl/rinses of the mug with a little water and I'm done. My grounds go into the bushes where they make good fertilizer. I assume you tote your spent coffee bags until the next trash dump?Don't forget what's said about assume, only it applies just to you this time.......:rolleyes: My grounds go to the same place as yours after the bag is torn open. It works for me and that's all that matters. :p

HIKER7s
02-28-2008, 08:11

As to "cheap, quick, and easy," I get a very good gourmet coffee for about $2/lb. and the steep time for bags and grounds in a press are identical. Cleanup is simple: two swirl/rinses of the mug with a little water and I'm done. My grounds go into the bushes where they make good fertilizer. I assume you tote your spent coffee bags until the next trash dump?

Like Hooch said and I am of the same; I dont drink it every morning and when I do, its easier for me to carry it out than wasting time.

It works and when you think about the extra trash, it isnt going to weigh more than that coffee press

NICKTHEGREEK
02-28-2008, 08:14

WHAT????? Good gourmet coffee for $2.00 a pound? You can't buy decent potting soil for that price.. Specifics please.

rafe
02-28-2008, 08:34
WHAT????? Good gourmet coffee for $2.00 a pound? You can't buy decent potting soil for that price.. Specifics please.

I was wondering about that myself... Even Dunkin Donuts coffee (hardly "gourmet") is $8 per pound, online. You can get Fair Trade coffee for about that price, or a bit less (eg. deans beans. com)

Hooch
02-28-2008, 09:04
I was wondering about that myself... Even Dunkin Donuts coffee (hardly "gourmet") is $8 per pound, online. You can get Fair Trade coffee for about that price, or a bit less (eg. deans beans. com)Especially in Durham. Cost o' living is pretty high there. I'd say the wacky vibes being emitted from Duke are affecting his judgement and he isn't being accurate. :D

HIKER7s
02-28-2008, 09:10
or too much gourmet coffee.

Hooch
02-28-2008, 09:12
or too much gourmet coffee.Agreed. I don't drink enough of the stuff to warrant being a coffee snob. Good old Folger's works for me. I don't need an overpriced pseudo-status symbol coffee in my cup on the trail to be warm. :D

twosticks
02-28-2008, 16:05

That went against the LNT fairy that sits on my shoulder, plus it's still a pain and it leaves a coffee flavor in the pot. Good coffee is a good thing, but I don't need the best when I'm hiking. Some instant works fine for me now and I have less waste to deal with.

Summit
02-28-2008, 16:55
Especially in Durham. Cost o' living is pretty high there. I'd say the wacky vibes being emitted from Duke are affecting his judgement and he isn't being accurate. :DWell here's the wacky vibes truth link to Save-A-Lot grocery stores:

http://www.save-a-lot.com/

They are the only place I know that you can get McDaniel's Gourmet coffee in a 2 1/2 lb. vacuum-sealed can for about $5 a can. They closed the store in Burlington a few months ago so now I have to go to either Greensboro or Winston Salem stores, but since my son and daughter-in-law live in Winston, I just buy a flat (6 cans) about every 6-7 months . . . costs about $30.

I won't say it is the very best coffee I've ever had but it's much better AND MUCH CHEAPER than anything you can get in the grocery store, including all those in the gourmet section.

As far as the LNT fairy, I invite you to find a single grain of my slung-in-the-bushes coffee grounds after the first rain. Those little grounds are in the soil making fertilizer and the plants thereabouts are lovin' it! :) If that still offends anyone's LNT ethics, then let's just say I'm practical, not anal about LNT.

Summit
02-28-2008, 17:01
Agreed. I don't drink enough of the stuff to warrant being a coffee snob. Good old Folger's works for me. I don't need an overpriced pseudo-status symbol coffee in my cup on the trail to be warm. :DSo are you calling me a "snob" because I like good coffee? If you read my last thread about what I drink, I don't think it fits your description. But then you know, we should all do what we personally like and enjoy, and not belittle others who do things a little differently. Sheeesh! :(

Hooch
02-28-2008, 17:13
Well here's the wacky vibes truth link to Save-A-Lot grocery stores:

They are the only place I know that you can get McDaniel's Gourmet coffee in a 2 1/2 lb. vacuum-sealed can for about $5 a can. They closed the store in Burlington a few months ago so now I have to go to either Greensboro or Winston Salem stores, but since my son and daughter-in-law live in Winston, I just buy a flat (6 cans) about every 6-7 months . . . costs about $30.

I won't say it is the very best coffee I've ever had but it's much better AND MUCH CHEAPER than anything you can get in the grocery store, including all those in the gourmet section.

As far as the LNT fairy, I invite you to find a single grain of my slung-in-the-bushes coffee grounds after the first rain. Those little grounds are in the soil making fertilizer and the plants thereabouts are lovin' it! :) If that still offends anyone's LNT ethics, then let's just say I'm practical, not anal about LNT.If it works for you, that's all that matters. :)

So are you calling me a "snob" because I like good coffee? If you read my last thread about what I drink, I don't think it fits your description. But then you know, we should all do what we personally like and enjoy, and not belittle others who do things a little differently. Sheeesh! :(Just kidding around, no attempt at belittling anyone here. No hsame in doing things different at all, it's what makes up interesting. No offense meant if any was taken. :D

Summit
02-28-2008, 17:17
Peace, love and joy . . . group hug! :D

Hooch
02-28-2008, 17:18
Peace, love and joy . . . group hug! :DWe're cool, summit. I'll buy ya a beer next time I come up to Durham to visit my brother. No problems with the hug as long as you haven't been on Duke soil. :eek::D

Summit
02-28-2008, 17:26
We're cool, summit. I'll buy ya a beer next time I come up to Durham to visit my brother. No problems with the hug as long as you haven't been on Duke soil. :eek::DHeels fan all the way . . . and I never cared for lacrosse, hookers, or Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong either. :eek:

Hey, if you're driving in from Ky, you can stop by the Save-A-Lot in Greensboro and pick yourself up some real coffee! :D :p

Hooch
02-28-2008, 17:27
Heels fan all the way . . . and I never cared for lacrosse, hookers, or Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong either. :eek:

Hey, if you're driving in from Ky, you can stop by the Save-A-Lot in Greensboro and pick yourself up some real coffee! :D :pTouche' my friend. :D Next time I'm in Durham, I'll be driving from Charlotte when I move there in April or so. :banana

Summit
02-28-2008, 17:58
Cool, welcome in advance to paradise! Back on topic . . . a good deal on the group JetBoil system + 2 fuel canisters:

http://outdoordaily.com/

Today: 2/28/08 only - will be a different product after today.

charmcityboys
02-28-2008, 18:21
Anyone know how the Jetboil GCS works on a camp fire? Wasn't sure it would work with the orange warmer thing and the handle...

Summit
02-28-2008, 18:25
You can remove the "cozy" (orange thing), but the bottom has a baffel-like shield around the outer edge to help in wind with the included burner, and would not work too well on a fire. Besides, the pot and cozy are too nice to blacken up on a campfire. ;)

slow
02-28-2008, 18:55
4 day esbit w pot 9 oz.

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 07:00
Well here's the wacky vibes truth link to Save-A-Lot grocery stores:

As far as the LNT fairy, I invite you to find a single grain of my slung-in-the-bushes coffee grounds after the first rain. Those little grounds are in the soil making fertilizer and the plants thereabouts are lovin' it! :) If that still offends anyone's LNT ethics, then let's just say I'm practical, not anal about LNT.

I have no problem with the grounds going back to the earth (I use them at home for worm food, I have a worm box in the backyard for fishing).

Its the whole coffee press thing, I think its silly. HOWEVER, before you get all disturbed by that statement...."I" said it was silly due to the fact "I" see no reason for it out there, for instance if I had the choice between an extra book or a coffee press to take with me. It would be the book.

Its obvious its a special thing to you and you dont have to convince anyone why that is.:)

Summit
02-29-2008, 12:05
I have no problem with the grounds going back to the earth (I use them at home for worm food, I have a worm box in the backyard for fishing).

Its the whole coffee press thing, I think its silly. HOWEVER, before you get all disturbed by that statement...."I" said it was silly due to the fact "I" see no reason for it out there, for instance if I had the choice between an extra book or a coffee press to take with me. It would be the book.

Its obvious its a special thing to you and you dont have to convince anyone why that is.:)I'm not disturbed, but since you threw down the "I think it is silly" flag, I read ebooks on my Windows Mobile cell phone (serves multi-use principal for that item, advocated by ultra-lite'rs), more than making up for the weight of my coffee press vs. your book. It really is silly and outdated to carry a paperback or hard cover book in this electronic age. :p :rolleyes: :D

"Touche' my friend."

But then you know, we should all do what we personally like and enjoy, and not belittle others who do things a little differently. Sheeesh!

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 12:25
really is silly and outdated to carry a paperback or hard cover book in this electronic age. :p :rolleyes: :D

You are right, however (again if you prefer a coffee press to the bags) I prefer the book to the screen. Plus its eaiser on the eyes.

hubba hubba ding dong! :banana

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 12:29
Same gearbox..different gear here..

I once saw a guy over a couple weeks on the trail; he put coffee bags in his hydration pack!

He was drinking weak cold coffee all day and crashed hard at night. ...strange

Summit
02-29-2008, 12:39
You are right, however (again if you prefer a coffee press to the bags) I prefer the book to the screen. Plus its eaiser on the eyes.

hubba hubba ding dong! :bananaDisagree on the easier on the eyes, plus I can read mine at night without the need of a head lamp/flashlight. The backlit screen is perfect with the brightness turned way down - battery lasts a very long time.

jimminie cricket! :sun

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 14:19
Well my eyes aint yur eyes there. Plus, why would you want to deal with that "out there" anyway.

Summit
02-29-2008, 15:01
Like to read (the light way), like to call home or a shuttle once in a while, love to get weather updates from the Internet, love to get "text-sex" messages from my wife, like to take pictures with the 2mpix camera, hate (and don't) read email. Now that's a multi-use device @ 5.8 oz.

http://www.america.htc.com/products/xv6800/default.html

HIKER7s
02-29-2008, 15:09
WOO-HOO a pack essential for those afraid to part with modern devices

Summit
02-29-2008, 15:16
WOO-HOO a pack essential for those afraid to part with modern devicesThere you go stereotyping again. Unlike you, I don't think everyone should be/think like me. I'm outta here. I'm headed for a weekend hike where I'm going to be a silly, snobby, coffee (press) drinking, modern device totin' fool! Have a great weekend yourself! :)

Cherokee Bill
03-07-2008, 17:34
:sun The Jetboil and Freezer-bag cooking, means no cleanup! Just boil water, pour in the bag, wait 10-15 min, and eat :p

HardcoreOutdoor
03-10-2008, 18:11
I agree with SGT. Rock, I just can't drink anymore of the Jetboil Kool-aid. The Jetboil is bigger, heavier and slower than my Coleman F1 Ultalight/MSR Titan Kettle combo. And in the wind, the anemic Jetboil suffers where my F1 fires through it to a good boil. The only thing the JB has going for it in my opinion is the longterm fuel economy and I even question that considering the fact that you can only boil 2 cups of water at a time with the personal system.

I have tested it over and over again and I just don't see the Jetboil advantage.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com (http://www.hardcoreoutdoor.com)

take-a-knee
03-10-2008, 21:10
I agree with SGT. Rock, I just can't drink anymore of the Jetboil Kool-aid. The Jetboil is bigger, heavier and slower than my Coleman F1 Ultalight/MSR Titan Kettle combo. And in the wind, the anemic Jetboil suffers where my F1 fires through it to a good boil. The only thing the JB has going for it in my opinion is the longterm fuel economy and I even question that considering the fact that you can only boil 2 cups of water at a time with the personal system.

I have tested it over and over again and I just don't see the Jetboil advantage.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com (http://www.hardcoreoutdoor.com)

That F1 is light allright, but I think the MSR Windpro would smoke it in windy conditions, it weighs over twice as much but you don't loose so much heat to the environment, so it is more efficient.

partinj
03-11-2008, 12:56
I still like my Snow Peak Stove it weight just 3.5oz. my kmart greese pot 3oz. the fuel 4oz. total 10oz. i been able to get 6days out of the small fuel can.That two meal a day