PDA

View Full Version : how much water to pack?

Kitecop
05-02-2012, 17:03
Ill be hiking for 2-3 weeks starting just N of the GSM park. How much water will i need to pack? How many water sources are there in this area? I have a katadyn filter system and id like to just get water as i need it so i dont have to carry a bunch.

kayak karl
05-02-2012, 17:07
guide book will help. how much is up to you. i didn't carry more then 2 liters, but if a drought or iffy sources i might carry as much as 4. when are you hiking?

Kitecop
05-02-2012, 17:35
ill be going in Oct. Ive got my new pack stuffed right now with what i think im goin to take... I have a 100oz bladder and 16oz bottle.

moldy
05-02-2012, 21:28
That should be enough water capacity.

Kerosene
05-03-2012, 21:06
Typically, in October you will find that most listed water sources are low of even dry. Do not trust sources listed as intermittent or seasonal unless it's been a rainy Fall. If a spring is dry, and normally feeds a creek in wetter years, then you might be able to find water by heading downstream 100 yards or so (just don't leave your pack unattended due to bears, and try to let someone know that you're off-trail).

You should be fine with your carrying capacity. If you are concerned that an upcoming section may be dry, then "camel up" at a water source to stretch your supply. Note that most backpackers, including me sometimes despite my efforts, don't get enough water while hiking and become somewhat dehydrated. That is especially likely on cooler, less humid days when you don't realize how much water you're expiring.