PDA

View Full Version : Tevas vrs. Crocs vrs. flipflops

Dainon
04-06-2005, 07:52
Or, put differently, $45 vrs. $30 vrs. 99 cents.

I can see the benefits of having camp shoes -- something to give your feet a break, something airy, something comfortable. But I get lost when I see so many recommending Tevas or Crocs when a pair of 99 cent flipflops from WallyWorld would seem to do just about the same thing.

I've read that if push comes to shove, that you can hike in Tevas, which I don't think you could do in flipflops. And that Crocs have the option of a strap to keep them on your feet if you're wading fast-moving streams or rivers and want to keep your trailrunners dry. But is that it?

Aside from flipflops being under a dollar, they're much lighter, too. Am I missing something?

owl
04-06-2005, 08:00
Its a comfort thing not everything in life is based on how cheap you can get it.
also foot protection the crocs and tevas will protect your feet better.
wear and tear wise you will have to buy five pair of flip flops over the course of time, but that would be cheaper unless you count you gas money and time to go phurchase them, some folks drink Champainge some drink Ripple.

Oracle
04-06-2005, 08:20
If you're only wearing them as camp shoes, do they really need to protect your feet and wear well?

Jaybird
04-06-2005, 08:24
....how 'bout this???

WALMART slippers....$2.....4oz.

cant beat it!

IF YOU CANT BUY IT @ WALMART....

YOU DONT NEED IT! :D

IdgieNC
04-06-2005, 08:43
I have tried all 3 and pick the crocs. The Tevas are too heavy, the cheap flipflops hurt my feet (I have bad feet/surgeries) So the crocs are comfy and light. I actually wear mine around home at least once a day. Take dog out, gardening, to the store.

Its a comfort thing not everything in life is based on how cheap you can get it.
also foot protection the crocs and tevas will protect your feet better.
wear and tear wise you will have to buy five pair of flip flops over the course of time, but that would be cheaper unless you count you gas money and time to go phurchase them, some folks drink Champainge some drink Ripple.

dje97001
04-06-2005, 08:51
Personally, I feel that the thong-type flipflops are extremely uncomfortable--not to mention it is difficult to wear socks with them (think in camp, after hiking on a cool/cold night). Tevas are certainly an option (one that I've loved in the past) that stick to your feet well with all of the straps and you can wear socks with them, but they have exposed toes. I just got some crocs a few days ago to see what the big deal was. And I have barely taken them off since. They have got to be some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever had--just remember what Cliff said in the last episode of Cheers regarding the secret to life. You can easily wear socks (or not) and you can count on them staying on your feet too since they have a range of sizes (and that deceptively simple strap on the back). I am now wearing them all around (despite the funny looks I get) just because they are so comfortable. $30 for a pair of shoes isn't bad. You should try some in the store... your feet will thank you.

BookBurner
04-06-2005, 09:17
Flip-flops are light, cheap, and low profile. Nice, but they still take a back seat to Crocs (Teva's weight knocks them out of the conversation all together). Problems with Flip-flops:

1. Tough to wear socks with (important on cold nights);
2. Provide no protection from mud in camp;
3. Provide absolutely no support for tired insteps;
4. Not practical for walking to nighttime watersources (.3 miles sometimes) or around town to do chores (2+ miles sometimes).

The one thing that everyone criticizes Flip-flops about that I cannot agree with is the absence of straps to keep the footwear on during a stream crossing. Stream crossings should not be an important consideration when chosing a 2d pair of footwear. Almost all of the streams across the AT can be rock-hopped successfully. I never took my boots off for a crossing the entire time from Ga. to Me. in 2002. I jumped every stream and barely got a toe wet. In wet years, this may not be practical but I still venture to say that most hikers are not going to take the time to change shoes two times just to avoid wet socks! Your socks, in all likelihood, will be wet most days already. And if there not, they will be soon regardless of the efforts you take to prevent it.

Pick camp shoes that fit your foot, your pack, and your budget. But don't pick them based upon their ability to perform a chore that you'll never realistically ask of them after the first few days on the trail.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Footslogger
04-06-2005, 09:18
For me it was more than just a "camp shoe" issue. Whenever I can get out of the shoes I hiked in all day I do. That includes hikes down mountain sides for water and town visits. I started off on my thru in 2003 with fllip-flops from the discount store. By the time I got to Gatlinburg I decided that I wanted something more substantial. The outfitter there was selling Waldies and I bought a pair. Carried them all the way to Katahdin and am still wearing them.

I own Tevas but they're just too heavy to carry and besides they don't protect the sides and top of your feet. If all I wanted was something to wear around camp I would probably go with the super-light approach (footbeds with nylon line). But, if you want something that's going to cover all your needs (including water crossings) when you're not wearing your hiking boots/shoes I suggest you consider the Waldie type shoe.

'Slogger
AT 2003

RockyTrail
04-06-2005, 09:34
I think $30 is high for a pair of foam shoes.
Waldies were $17 a pair before they got bought out by Crocs.
I love my Waldies- too bad they quit making them.

stomparound85
04-06-2005, 12:49
umm how about the chaco's you hike in em wade em boat in em...... yes theyre expensive but Ive had mine for 4 year and still like em.:banana

Footslogger
04-06-2005, 13:48
I think $30 is high for a pair of foam shoes.
Waldies were $17 a pair before they got bought out by Crocs.
I love my Waldies- too bad they quit making them.===========================
Rumor has it you can still find them ...but you've gotta do some searching. I'm probably going to try and find another pair before they totally vanish from the shelves.

'Slogger

TJ aka Teej
04-06-2005, 18:38
the super-light approach (footbeds with nylon line).

More evidence ultralightism is a mental disorder :D

lumpy
04-07-2005, 17:55
I prefer to have something I can hike in in an emergency should my boots or trail shoes fail. I think that crocs fit the bill. They're comfortable, protective, supportive and still light enough to carry although they're a bit heavier than "Kerry's" or Teva's.

smokedog
04-07-2005, 20:49
I use foam slip-ons made by Nike, sorta like flip flops but a little more substantial. They are fairly light and you can wear socks with them.

JLB
04-11-2005, 19:20
I love my Crocs so much that I wear them practically everywhere now. I can't seem to wear them out.

stomparound85
04-11-2005, 22:24
Dont any of yall like some chaco's by the way have yall really hiked far in your crocs. :banana :clap :banana

alanthealan
04-12-2005, 17:29
After trying the wal-mart styles I broke down and bought the crocs... very glad I did. Wore them on a long birding day they were great except I had to swing the heel stap up and out of the way becuase of rubbing. The hinge on the strap attachment point allowed this to be done easily.

mbroadhe
04-12-2005, 21:37
I picked up a pair of those ComfortClogs from allheart.com. I figured 2 pair for 20 bucks, can't beat that. They are extremely light, about the same as the Waldies if not lighter and really comfortable. I gave the second pair to my wife since she's a server and she's on her feet all day.

mhussey
04-13-2005, 18:50
Pardon my ignorance, but what the h*ll are crocs?? Im looking into some Keen Newports or LLBean Wave Mocs (after leaving my tevas somewhere along the 100miles of wilderness) to use for water crossing and possibly an alternative to bare feet when the hiking boots come off.

dje97001
04-13-2005, 20:17
http://www.crocs.com/index.asp

Just Jeff
04-13-2005, 20:28
http://www.crocs.com/index.asp
What's the difference between the Cayman model and the Beach model?

bigcat2
04-13-2005, 21:27
RockyTrail, they do indeed still sell the Waldies brand. My local outfitters were selling them along w/ Holey Soles. I went w/ the Holey Soles because of the strap on the back and I have to have it, the Waldies did not have it. I admit I have yet to camp w/ mine yet, as I just got them a week ago, but I have worn them everyday. They are quite comfortable and I think I am going to like them. I will test them out next month when I do my Spring Section hike in the Smokies.

http://www.ampro.co.nz/products/holey-soles/holey_soles.htm is the link to the Holey Soles if anyone is interested.

dje97001
04-14-2005, 08:03
it is all on there...

"The Cayman Model - (msrp $39.99)
The idea behind the Cayman model is to take a great thing and make it even better! The Cayman is the next generation of shoe provided by Crocs Footwear. We listened to our customers who love our Beach model but wanted more. They wanted full sizes, a foot bed that accommodates narrow feet, and shoes that would fit KIDS! In response, we traveled to Italy to have our new molds hand made by craftsman famous for comfortable shoes. The fruit of our labor is now available in the Cayman model. It comes in full sizes from men's one through thirteen and is available in nine colors. The size one can fit a six-year-old! The shoe has a sleek and more slender look and its accurate sizing make it the most comfortable shoe we've ever produced."

Moxie00
04-14-2005, 08:52
The year I thru hiked I did see some intresting footware. X Man did the whole trail in Tevas, Arrow did the last 700 miles in Chacos. Badger, who was with Warren Doyle hiked many miles barefoot as did two sisters out of Bar Harbor, Maine who were southbounders. Tyvec hiked barefoot until somewhere north of Hot Springs where he got a bad cut on his foot and had to quit. I used boots but my camp shoes were knock off Tevas from K.Mart or Wallyworld. Weighed little or nothing, were cheap, and lasted for years, I still use them. I did finish with Chacos, someone gave me a pair that didn't fit them at the Maine border but they were heavy. In Maine the Goodwill stores get alot of LL Bean return goods so you can buy a good pair of returned Tevas for five bucks or less, I have about four pair of Tevas I use to Kayak and canoe camping but find them way too heavy for backpacking. You shouldn't have to pay more than six bucks for camp shoes and they should be as light as possible. Either Tevas or Chacos are fine if you want to actually hike in them.
:sun

Dances with Mice
04-14-2005, 08:56
Moxie found something too heavy for backpacking?!

OK, who are you really and what have you done with our Moxie?