PDA

View Full Version : need a new rain jacket

chip2012
05-02-2012, 20:47
I am looking into buying a montbell versalite and was wondering if anyone else could enlighten me on the pros and cons of the jacket? Also any other lightweight shell recommendations would be appreciated. :)

Del Q
05-02-2012, 21:09
Tons of options, pit zips are great to have.

handyman439
05-02-2012, 21:22
I have an Outdoor research helium. 6.4 oz in a large.

Very minimal and light, but it gets the job done.

chip2012
05-02-2012, 22:11
I was looking at this jacket as well but they don't offer the pit zips that the versalite dies. I am worried about the OR feeling a little clammy layered. Is this your experience?

handyman439
05-03-2012, 08:06
When I get warm I simply pull the zipper down a little. Unless it is downpouring/sideways rain this works fine for me.

I used to have a 20k/20k waterproof/breathable jacket with pit zips, and ended up doing the same thing while hiking.

Deacon
05-03-2012, 08:48
Myy eVent Packa has the pit zips as well as highly breathable material. If it gets too hot, I just walk in the rain- no rain jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ktaadn
05-03-2012, 09:23
I have been pleased with my Frogg Togg rainsuit. If you are interested in something more durable, my recommendation would be to keep one fact in mind. Zippers are heavy. The fewer pockets (and pit zips) that your coat has, the lighter it will be. I like to remind myself that it is a shell, not a storage device. I have pockets in my shorts for carrying my map, camera, and snacks.

Lastly, I would suggest checking out the First Ascent BC-200. The always have sales if you have the time to be patient.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37035&&categoryId=28480&categoryName=JACKETS--VEST&pCategoryId=28475&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28480~~categoryName=JACKETS--VEST~~pCategoryId=28475~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1

handyman439
05-03-2012, 18:55
Myy eVent Packa has the pit zips as well as highly breathable material. If it gets too hot, I just walk in the rain- no rain jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this philosophy for rain wear. Maybe the purpose is more to keep you warm than keep you dry. I cant notice a difference in breath-ability from 10 to 20k ratings etc. IMO, the only waterproof fabrics that are really breathable are event and neoshell, both of which lack in water resistance compared to something like gore proshell.

untitleddocument
05-03-2012, 19:14
I was a bit price sensitive so I went with the North Face Venture. Found it on sale for $65 (normally ~$100). Has velcro cuffs, drawstring waist and hood, and pit zips. Weighs about 14 oz. I have had it for quite some time and have never had a leak or felt too hot.

Tinker
05-03-2012, 22:22
After trying the Gore and eVent miracle fabrics I've come to this conclusion: Unless you're an ice cube, you will sweat while hiking in anything, even an uncoated windshell, if the temperatures are above the mid 60s. For warm-blooded folks like me, I'd lower that temp. limit to mid 50s unless it's windy.
Ymmv.
My next garment is likely to be good old fashioned PU coated nylon with pit zips. Some of the budget items like Marmot Precip use PU (polyurethane), they just make thinner in spots and call it breathable. I've used it. It's hardly breathable, even when sitting still. The pit zips are nice, though. I think I'll try Campmor's house brand next time I buy (and not the one that they call "waterproof/breathable" either. BAH, HUMBUG! :)

Loopback
05-12-2012, 09:22
I have an REI Kimtah with eVent. It's the best rain jacket I've owned. 4 season use with layers, and it breathes great for me. It's also good in the wind.

Odd Man Out
05-12-2012, 10:45
I was a bit price sensitive so I went with the North Face Venture. Found it on sale for $65 (normally ~$100). Has velcro cuffs, drawstring waist and hood, and pit zips. Weighs about 14 oz. I have had it for quite some time and have never had a leak or felt too hot.

I also have a NF Venture - still pretty new. Glad to hear it could work out OK for me. I posted this tip on another rain coat thread the other day: When walking in a light cool rain the other day, I was getting warm so I put my arms out through the pit zip opening so my arms were exposed, making what is essentially a rain vest. The exposed arms act a bit like radiators, helping cool the body, while keeping the torso dry. This seemed to be a nice trick that could extend the useful temperature range of your rain gear by maybe a few degrees. Don't know if others do this?

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2012, 11:56
After trying the Gore and eVent miracle fabrics I've come to this conclusion: Unless you're an ice cube, you will sweat while hiking in anything, even an uncoated windshell, if the temperatures are above the mid 60s. For warm-blooded folks like me, I'd lower that temp. limit to mid 50s unless it's windy.
Ymmv.
My next garment is likely to be good old fashioned PU coated nylon with pit zips. Some of the budget items like Marmot Precip use PU (polyurethane), they just make thinner in spots and call it breathable. I've used it. It's hardly breathable, even when sitting still. The pit zips are nice, though. I think I'll try Campmor's house brand next time I buy (and not the one that they call "waterproof/breathable" either. BAH, HUMBUG! :)

I too came to the same conclusion - I stopped asking for Goretex and other fabrics like this because once they are wet - they tend to stay wet. I had waterproof shoes and clothing on while bushwacking after a storm on a paintball trail and I got soaked from all the wet brush, but was comfortable....

To answer the thread question a cheap sil poncho or Gatewood Cape.

Wags
05-21-2012, 01:22
stay under 8 ounces. that is my advice. good advice given by others here too.

JJJ
05-21-2012, 06:23
This is a little heavier than Wags, suggest but if you're gonna be out in the wet below 45°F, you won't go wrong with a Torrentshell (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-torrentshell-waterproof-rain-jacket?p=83800-0-984). Pricey, but I've got my money's worth a few times.

chip2012
06-30-2012, 15:48
Appreciate all the advice. I ended up buying a OR helium II and really like it.