PDA

View Full Version : First time out this weekend

bboettcher
05-02-2012, 20:50
My wife and I will be doing our first overnight backpacking trip this weekend. We do a lot of day hikes, and are both very athletic and outdoorsy. Not yet concerned with being ultra lightweight or anything like that. Just trying to enjoy each others company and some beautiful scenery. We will be heading into the Smokys and staying at one of the campgrounds that you don't have to reserve in advance. Will be about a 4 mile hike in and 4 out. Were just trying to keep it easy for the first time to get the hang of it.

Now to my question after my long winded intro. What advice do you guys/ladies have for the first time out? Anything that you forgot to pack your first time that cant be left behind?

If there is a bear pole, how do we hang our food from it? What length of paracord do i need to make sure to bring to do that? Can i just hang it in a dry bag?

Since its expensive to get started, we don't have all of the ultra light stuff, but our tent is 5lb4oz Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2 (I'm tall, had a hard time fitting into the lighter ones that I could afford, I'll carry that extra pound or so to not sleep like a sardine), packs wife 3lb13oz mine 4lb (osprey kestrel), sleeping bags 35* Mountain Hardwear Lamina hers is 2lb1oz, mine 2lb7oz. Beyond that, our stuff is mostly mix/match and stuff we already had.

I really appreciate any help!

BabySue
05-02-2012, 21:02
Headlamp is a good idea that might be overlooked

rickb
05-02-2012, 21:18
Now to my question after my long winded intro. What advice do you guys/ladies have for the first time out? Anything that you forgot to pack your first time that cant be left behind? If I were you I'd make sure to take some nips -- airline bottles -- worthy of the best bar in your city, a special stash of your wife's favorite snack and a couple of paperbacks. Or your own personal variation thereof. Its not just walking.

Cozy
05-02-2012, 21:21
Congrats and welcome to the backpacking club.

I'd suggest the following items to take along even though it's only 4 miles in and out and even if you feel you might not need them:

1) Pocketknife
2) small first aid kit
3) plastic bags to take out trash
4) whistle
5) compass & map

Have a great time!

bigcranky
05-02-2012, 21:48
Dark chocolate and red wine are nice on a hike.

The tent is fine. Pretty much any gear that gets you out there is fine. Don't forget you'll need a permit, which you should be able to get at the trailhead. The weather looks decent this weekend -- lows around 50, highs maybe in the 70s with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Rain jackets are good, or at least a poncho of some sort.

Most of the bear things in the South are bear cables, which are pretty easy to figure out when you get there. If it's a pole, there should be a long metal rod for lifting your bag. A dry bag is fine for your food. I would have 40 or 50 feet of lightweight line for hanging in a tree if needed (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html).

Anything that you forgot to pack your first time that cant be left behind?

Most beginners have the opposite problem, bringing far too many things with them :). That's understandable when you don't know what you really need. No biggie, you'll figure it out in time. But just in case:

A warm jacket or sweater, especially for your wife. 50 doesn't sound cold, but it is. Clean long johns and socks to sleep in. A fleece hat and gloves. (Again, 50 is chilly when you are outside all night.) Purell and a packet of baby wipes.

Have fun!

Spokes
05-02-2012, 22:03

Now to my question after my long winded intro. What advice do you guys/ladies have for the first time out? Anything that you forgot to pack your first time that cant be left behind?

If there is a bear pole, how do we hang our food from it? What length of paracord do i need to make sure to bring to do that? Can i just hang it in a dry bag?

I'd look at what you're doing as a series of " shakedown" hikes. So you may want to set some goals each time you go out like trying to hone your food choices, or how to consistently load your pack.

Over thinking what to take can be disastrous! Before you know it your gear list grows and your pack weighs 60 lbs. Better to think in ounces!

If you decide to hang ( PCT method preferred ) your own food get about 50 ft. of 2mm cord from your local outfitter. Paracord is overkill and way too heavy to lug around. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do the PCT method.

I've come to like using the knotless PCT method as described here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpR_LEoD5PU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers!

bboettcher
05-02-2012, 22:16
Thanks for all the advice everyone. And Spokes, I am seeing this as a "shakeout" to figure out what is needed and what can be left behind on some longer hikes this summer and fall. I definitely usually err on the side of packing too much when I travel, so I am trying to be very cautious about what I bring this weekend. Seeing as it is an in and out type deal, I think I will feel comfortable leaving a lot of the stuff I would normally think about bringing home.

Spokes
05-02-2012, 22:23
Hey, be sure to check back in and post a follow-up. I always try to discover something new from others " lessons learned".

bboettcher
05-04-2012, 15:47
Hey, be sure to check back in and post a follow-up. I always try to discover something new from others " lessons learned".

Pre-trip update. My wife has a 18# bag, mine comes in at 25#. Better than I expected, and I still feel like we overpacked. I put a notebook and pen in my bag to make notes of what we would like and what we could do without. Will update with pics (hopefully) when I get back.

Monkeywrench
05-04-2012, 16:07
If I remember correctly, there are no outhouses (privies, shoonies, back-houses, necessaries) in the Smokies. That being the case, be sure to bring something to dig cat-holes with, unless you're good at digging with the heel of your boot.