PDA

View Full Version : Tick Infestation-Heads Up!

goody5534
05-02-2012, 21:12
Today, while hiking the AT in Connecticut, with my dog, from Undermountain Rd southbound to Giants Thumb (8 miles and 4 hrs) and we were attacked by Ticks. I am new to backpacking and hiking on trails (200 miles logged) but have spent all of life hunting and fishing and I never seen THIS. I have taken "20 plus" off of me which included 3 embedded ticks. However it was my dog (Jack) who was attacked like nothing I ever seen before. 3 hours later and 2 baths for Jack I have removed 50 embedded ticks and over 200 ticks from his coat. All 3 species Deer, Dog and Lone Star from nymph to full-grown, were accounted for. I am horrified to bring Jack with me again and was near tears picking these nasty "****ers" off my dog. I was wearing long pants, long sleeve Wicking Tee, long sleeve jacket, hat and used normal amounts of Deet. I have the CT DEP's latest suggestions but I am looking for more suggestion from more experienced hiker who hike with dogs.

robbie (no trail name yet)

WhiplashEm
05-02-2012, 21:17
Good grief. I live in northeast Alabama and we don't have that many ticks but my aunt recently contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite.

chip2012
05-02-2012, 21:26
Ticks are very heavy in north ga as well. I pull a couple off of me every day. I pulled 10-15 (mostly in the ear) off of the neighbors dog yesterday and 6 off this morning. Going to be a heavy year.

leaftye
05-02-2012, 21:28
Permithrin. Spray it on all your clothing. I think that's what tick collars have on them. With ticks that bad, I might try to get a permithrin-treated vest on the dog.

Cozy
05-02-2012, 21:28
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have a lab and that's why I am hesitant about taking her. I don't have any advice about what to do but wanted to suggest that "ticker" or something similiar may be a good trail name for you.

bigcranky
05-02-2012, 21:36
Permethrin. Don't repel the little ****ers, murder them.

Not sure how to deal with them on your dog, though. That's just bad.

Blissful
05-02-2012, 21:44
I also have been taking garlic tabs. Every little bit helps.
Make sure your dog gets the Lyme vaccine. And use the spot treatment (Frontline)

jakedatc
05-02-2012, 22:17
Check your legs often. I wear light colored pants so i can see them if they jump on i can flick them off. last week i found 5 in a row going across the field before one of the road walks. The more you check the less chance you'll get one to bite you. in a good clear section i pick my pant legs up to check if any got in.

fredmugs
05-02-2012, 22:30
How about "Ticked" for a trail name?

G.G.
05-02-2012, 22:35
Thanks for the heads up.

Heading out this weekend and will report back.

goody5534
05-02-2012, 22:45
WOW it continues:-(. We have spent the last hour or so and we have picked and killed 42 to more ticks from his coat... Thanks for the all the advice.

leaftye
05-02-2012, 22:47
Permethrin. Don't repel the little ****ers, murder them.

Exactly. I want to kill them.

Check your legs often. I wear light colored pants so i can see them if they jump on i can flick them off. last week i found 5 in a row going across the field before one of the road walks. The more you check the less chance you'll get one to bite you. in a good clear section i pick my pant legs up to check if any got in.

That advice can work, and did work for me several weeks ago. I had a hike on the PCT that put even more ticks on me. I was on overgrown trail, and most of the plants I'd brush by would put ticks on me. I'd stop after every one and check my clothing for ticks. I was stressed because my clothing wasn't treated like permithrin like it normally is. After a couple miles I tucked my pants into my socks. To my relief, I didn't get a single tick on or in my skin, only on my clothing.

leaftye
05-02-2012, 22:49
WOW it continues:-(. We have spent the last hour or so and we have picked and killed 42 to more ticks from his coat... Thanks for the all the advice.

So no more embedded ticks? How are you finding the most recent ticks, a comb?

Ktaadn
05-02-2012, 22:51
Are you not using Frontline Plus on your dog? My dog always gets his on the 15th of every month.

goody5534
05-02-2012, 22:56
[QUOTE=leaftye;1284050]So no more embedded ticks? How are you finding the most recent ticks, a comb?[/QUOTE
by using my fingers to going inch by inch over his body-he's a small dog too-3 yr old CavaPooh 22 lbs

goody5534
05-02-2012, 23:02
Are you not using Frontline Plus on your dog? My dog always gets his on the 15th of every month.
No, I'm a first time dog owner and I am going to Vet tomorrow and asking for his opinion on it-after reading about it the last 10 minutes I think its a good affordable option...

MuddyWaters
05-02-2012, 23:05
it happens sometimes. Some yrs just seem to be worse than others. And some places.

25yrs ago I was home from college over Christmas, and took dog for a short 30 minute walk in the woods near my parents house. In January in North Florida, the dog ended up with more than 50 ticks on it, only a couple attached.. They were all over my parents house after we discovered it. Fortunately they had white carpet, and they were fairly easy to see crawling on the floor. We had to vacuum the whole house. I had a few on me too, but none attached..

wornoutboots
05-02-2012, 23:36
Yeah I did a 30 mile out & back at the Big South Fork & found 2 imbedded when I returned, I call my doctor & just finished my perscription of Dyocicylin just to be on the safe side

WIAPilot
05-02-2012, 23:56
I think I'll get a prescription for Dyocicylin before I go...

RedBeerd
05-03-2012, 07:23
Makes me second guess going on a hike without a permethrin treatment. Do you spray packs as well? Shoes? Hats? Everything? This is only my 3rd season hiking and Ive never really been too concerned with ticks. I usually hike the section the OP mentioned so now I am thinking I should take some precautions.

Deacon
05-03-2012, 09:01
Check out the "ticktwister" tick removal tool at www.ticktwister.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitey Mo
05-03-2012, 11:55
I soaked all my clothes and hammock with permithrin and wiped my boots with a soaked sock. My boots had dried but I noticed a knat walking on the toe. As I watched, it died. In about a minute. Dog dips are made with permithrin. I'd make up a dip for my dog immediately after getting back.

Rocket Jones
05-03-2012, 11:57
Check out the "ticktwister" tick removal tool at www.ticktwister.com (http://www.ticktwister.com).

There are several similar products that work about the same way. Mine looks like a key, a hiking buddy has one that looks like a mini ice cream scoop. They all work, and are less fuss than tweezers.

sly dog
05-03-2012, 12:15
I work at a hospital and a nurse was just passing out a flyer written by another nurse on tick removal. She said she has tried this before and it works and has also had others try this and thanked her for it. Put liquid soap on a cotton ball and place on tick, within 30 seconds the tick will back out and be stuck on the cotton ball. Worth a shot, I know I'll be trying it next time

jcreamer
05-03-2012, 12:33
Goody,
As a veterinarian in south GA, we see lots of ticks. There are multiple kennels for hunting dogs here and we see dogs with ticks like you are describing. The best thing I have ever used for ticks is a Preventic collar made by a company called Virbac. The active ingredient is amitraz. When dogs come in with infestations as you describe, we don't pull off any of the ticks. Instead, we place a preventic collar on them and in about an hour there are dead ticks on the bottom of the kennel. When my clients are not out in the woods, I have them place the collar in a sealed ziploc bag. This keeps it fresh. If you leave them on constantly, they last about 2-3 months. If taken off and sealed up they can last for 6-9 months. I only put them on my dog when I know he has potential to be exposed. I have kids at home and I am also paranoid about "chemicals". However, I think the risk/benefit is well worth it for the likelihood of tick transmitted disease (and just the gross factor).
BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Virbac and do not have any vested interest in whether you use their collars or not - just a little disclaimer there :)
Happy Hiking,
Jeff