PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap to Spivey Gap trail head location

Tharwood
05-03-2012, 06:59
Can someone please advise the best way to access the trail head at Sams Gap to Spivey Gap TN/ NC (NoBo). I have been told several ways that "might " be correct. So I though Id ask some of the people who had for sure used it before. Thanks All

FlyPaper
05-03-2012, 10:05
Can someone please advise the best way to access the trail head at Sams Gap to Spivey Gap TN/ NC (NoBo). I have been told several ways that "might " be correct. So I though Id ask some of the people who had for sure used it before. Thanks All

For Sam's Gap, take the 19/23 exit in NC, a few miles on the NC side of the border. Follow 23 North until it goes under I-26 and you're there.
Note: there is an immediate left turn after getting off the interstate to follow 23. Do not follow 19.

I've been there a few times and this was a very easy approach.

sarge95
05-03-2012, 11:15
The trail head for parking is on the left just before the I 26 overpass on 19/23. I dont understand the dont follow the 19 highway. 19/23 are one until well west of Ashville. Get off at Wolf Laurel exit on I 26 in NC turn left on 19/23 and go to the top of the Mtn which is Sams Gap.

Tennessee Viking
05-03-2012, 12:15
I think the confusion is that the official US 23 is also I-26. The old US23 road which the trailhead is located on is called Wolf Laurel Road (NC side) or Flag Pond Road (TN side).

Tharwood: The easiest way from Gray to Sams Gap is just I26 to Exit 50 (Flag Pond). You will come off the exit, take a left. Come to the T-intersection and turn left up Flag Pond Road (old US23). Its about 4-5 miles to Sams Gap.

If you are just being dropped off, your ride can pull into the truck turnout. And you can use the cattle gate to get down to the road/trailhead. \\

For the Spivey Gap trailhead, I-26 thru Erwin. Take the Temple Hill Road exit (#42??). This is where 19W turns off the Interstate. Take a right on Temple Hill Road (left is back to Erwin). You will soon come to a fork. US 19W is left. Old US23 is to right. But follow 19W up a windy stretch of road. You will cross into NC. Go pass Spivey Gap Rec Area. But be watchful. Once you pass Spivey you will want to look for a small turnout on the right where the trail crosses.