PDA

View Full Version : Spot Satellite Messenger

WIAPilot
05-03-2012, 07:15
I have an iPhone with AT&T and was thinking of getting a Satellite phone, but read that many of them have spotty service as well.

Any recommendations along the AT? How about the Spot Satellite Messenger? Primarily, I just need to be able to send a text home each night so that no one worries....

Does anyone have a device that they were able to use each night along the trail? That basically worked 99% of the time?

mn_scout
05-03-2012, 08:48
I just finished the AZ Trail this week and used a SPOT for tracking my progress the whole way. It works fine, but may not get a message out in steep-sided canyons (like the Grand Canyon) or in heavy forests (like on the AT). Those were the two times when my tracking map is missing markers along my 800-mile hike. See http://hikingdude.com/trail-azt.php for the tracking map.
If you're just going to push the 'OK' button at the end of each day, then you can watch the blinky lights and see that it sends or not. But, if you don't mind spending about $50 for service and 50 cents a day for AAA lithium batteries, the tracking function is a fun way for folks at home to follow your progress.

WIAPilot
05-03-2012, 08:56
Thanks for the info. Your website is pretty cool!

rusty bumper
05-03-2012, 09:25
I used a SPOT on my AT hike last year. After setting up camp in the evening, I turned it on and sent out a "location email" to 10 folks back home...I then turned it off until I set up camp the following evening. It failed to perform only once in the 5 months I was on the trail. On those days when I had no cell phone coverage, it was a great comfort to wife to receive that evening email from SPOT!

Spokes
05-03-2012, 09:53
My buddy got one for free in a promotion when they firat came out and tried to persuade me to borrow it on my thru hike. I turned it down and told him I'd rather carry "better weight" in Snicker Bars. I'm glad I did. Most hikers I saw with them in 2009 cursed them because they would hardly ever "connect" to send out position messages. I assume their technology has improved since. Note- making a device smaller doesn't translate to better performance.

That said, i believe Spot Devices do have their place. I'll prolly get one for long distance kayak trips but for the AT? Nope.

bfayer
05-03-2012, 13:11
Way to go A-Train ...

I've done things like this with individual hikers but never thought to post it here.

Something like this oughta be posted at Amicolola or Walasi-Yi (Neels Gap). Lots of hikers who attempt the AT do not visit Whiteblaze or read previous hiker journals. The hiker box at Neels Gap might not be overflowing with day 3 discards.

Since many hikers may respond to your post with their own opinions/experience though, this thread could get pretty involved and confusing. What would you think about a series of threads that dealt one-at-a-time with each of your points ?? Some of this has already been done (eg cell phones) but others have gotten somewhat lost in the multi-topic clothing/gear threads.

Anyway ...just a thought.

'Slogger
AT 2003

The problems in 2009 had more to do with the Global Star satellites than the spot messanger. The spot 2 has better hardware and the satellites have been replaced.

So comparing 2009 to today is apples and oranges, ok how about oranges and tangerines :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

bfayer
05-03-2012, 13:16
I don't know where that quote came from in my last post, , I just hit reply. Sorry about that.

Coal Miner
05-03-2012, 14:14
Last September, after many years of section hikes with friends, I did a week solo in Tenn/ NC area. I am 50 yrs. old and my wife had visions of me injured and helpless without any cell service. I bought a Spot to let my wife know that I was OK. Every morning and night I would send an "OK" E-mail and it worked every time. You can send the E-Mails to up to 10 people and even as texts to mobiles. It will also sync with Facebook so "everyone" can follow. The positions are accurate and automatically opens to a Google Map. My kids got a kick out of being able to follow me and even gave me a hard time about my short day climbing Roan Mountain NB. I liked the fact that I could let my family know I was OK without having to worry about having cell service.

Spokes
05-03-2012, 14:27
Last September, after many years of section hikes with friends, I did a week solo in Tenn/ NC area. I am 50 yrs. old and my wife had visions of me injured and helpless without any cell service. I bought a Spot to let my wife know that I was OK. Every morning and night I would send an "OK" E-mail and it worked every time. You can send the E-Mails to up to 10 people and even as texts to mobiles. It will also sync with Facebook so "everyone" can follow. The positions are accurate and automatically opens to a Google Map. My kids got a kick out of being able to follow me and even gave me a hard time about my short day climbing Roan Mountain NB. I liked the fact that I could let my family know I was OK without having to worry about having cell service.

Smartphones sorta make Spot features redundant. Carry a Spot just to send an OK email to a list of up to only 10 friends?

Other options include:
- setting up an email distribution list on your own
- sending out a Tweet
- set up a free www.trailphone.net account and post an audio update
- get the AudioBoo app (free) and post and audio update via your twitter account
- set up a free WordPress account and use the app to post an OK message on your blog
- share your location on a map using the Google Latitude app. (use www.footprintfeed.com to link w/FB) or for iPhone use the Path app to capture your location post to Facebook www.path.com

So many options.......

Like I said Spot has its place but the AT isn't as remote as people think and the cell coverage is pretty darn good the majority of the way.

Cheers!

fwish
05-03-2012, 14:37
Well, I have no experience on the AT backpacking, but I have purchased and used the new Delorme Inreach and used it on both the Buffalo River Trail and the Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas, neither of which have cell service and was impressed with its performance. I used it mainly to email OK messages but have also used its interface capabilities with a Droid to send and receive text messages. Never had it fail yet. Overall, I have been very impressed with it.

jeffmeh
05-03-2012, 19:00
I am in contact with my son who left Springer on 2/27/2012 and is currently in NY. There have been only 3 nights thus far where he has not had a sufficient signal to send a text from an AT&T Blackberry. Now, he may be fairly skilled at picking spots to turn his phone on and text, and I suspect that he will go dark a few more times in northern New England, but overall it has worked out great.

Miner
05-04-2012, 00:23
Spot is more useful for a trail like the CDT rather then the AT which stays near civilization. While you can't be sure of having coverage everyday on the AT, going more then a day without it seems rather unlikely. If you don't mind paying for the service (ends up costing more then the device cost) and carrying the weight, then sure, carry it. Keep in mind that many GPS can temporarily loose a signal in heavy forested areas, so I'd assume Spot would be the same.

Miner
05-04-2012, 00:25
Sorry, my previous post was missing a few important words to clarify what I was thinking:

Spot is more useful for a trail like the CDT rather then the AT which stays near civilization and has better cell coverage. While you can't be sure of having CELL coverage everyday on the AT, going more then a day without it seems rather unlikely. If you don't mind paying for the SPOT service (ends up costing more then the device cost) and carrying the weight, then sure, carry it. Keep in mind that many GPS can temporarily loose a signal in heavy forested areas, so I'd assume Spot would be the same.

Mags
05-04-2012, 18:18
The main advantage of the SPOT is the tracking vs a cell phone. As Miner mentioned, if you are buying SPOT more for emergencies and to give a frequent call to family and friends, a cell phone is both lighter and less expensive than a SPOT device for use on the AT. Other than the further reaches of northern New England, you should be able to get at least daily coverage at some point (if not more).

If your family and loved ones enjoy being able to know exactly where you are, then get the SPOT. The tracking is a neat little feature that makes families and friends feel a little better about your journey.

If you are like me, calling in town is good enough for family and friends. ;)