PDA

View Full Version : More hammock info

rene
04-06-2005, 09:43
I am almost ready to buy a hammock instead of a tent. The only thing that I've never seen adressed is where you store your pack. How do you keep things out of the weather since there is no vestibule?

Thanks,
Rene

Youngblood
04-06-2005, 09:57
I keep mine under my tarp. With my frameless pack, I empty everything into a compactor trash bag (its white and several mils thick) and lay it beside my hammock on the ground. I use a top entry hammock and just get in/out on the other side. Bottom entry hammocks are usually hung a little higher and you can lay it under the hammock where it doesn't interfer with the entrance.

If you are camping in areas where you don't want to leave anything on the ground, you can attach your pack to a hammock suspension line where it is under the tarp and covered with a plastic bag.

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 11:21
Congrats for considering the change! You won't be disapointed!
I too store my pack under my rig, unless it's wet when I got there, then i hang it. I also mastered getting my gear to nothing and therefore, at the end of the day, have nothing in my pack, literally. It's all either hanging on my set-up or inside with me.
I camped with some dude once and he was raided by a porcipine. Thing ate up his shoes and pole handles. Since then i hang everything!

I'm sure you posted at some point and got a bunch of cool advise from others but I'm a newbie to WB at wondered what type hammock you were thinking about?

Just Jeff
04-06-2005, 17:14
I either:
- Hang mine from the hammock support line, under the tarp.
- Stick it into a compactor bag and lay it on the ground next to the hammock.
- Clip or tie it to the loop in the HH ridgeline near the foot end (if the pack is nearly empty).
- Hang it on a tree nearby.
- Once I even bearbagged it with my food.

With certain kinds of undercovers, you can even use it as insulation between the undercover and hammock. I've never done this so I can't say how it works.

Pack storage is a detail once you realize how much more comfortable you can sleep!

DLFrost
04-06-2005, 19:53
I am almost ready to buy a hammock instead of a tent. The only thing that I've never seen adressed is where you store your pack. How do you keep things out of the weather since there is no vestibule?
You might want to make your own hammock and save money. Check out Ed Speer's hammockcamping.com website and get his book. His large-tarp approach gives great protection from rain--nice if you're on the trail for days at a time. I'll never go back to tent camping while there are trees about...

I also use a back garbage bag for the pack, but have a hole at the top so it can be hung from a tree limb or from one of the cable hangs that they have in the Smokies. I wrap a rubber band around the plastic/line to keep rain out. Works good too if you need to hang from a tree limb (use a mini-biner for easy clip-on).

Doug Frost

neo
04-06-2005, 19:56
hammock hanging is the only way the fly.once a hammock hanger always a hammock hanger:cool: neo

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 20:00
I just hang mine from the ridgeline near my feet, then I put the remainder of my gear in it for easy access in the morning or during the night. There isn't much there since my clothing bag is inside the hammock and my food bag is hung.

Just Jeff
04-06-2005, 20:06
There isn't much there since my clothing bag is inside the hammock and my food bag is hung.
Agreed. I use my clothes in a stuff sack as a pillow between my legs and any thicker jacket (fleece) as a pillow for my head. My food/kitchen is hanging, so that leaves only odds and ends like first aid kit and such in the pack.

The only problem I've had is when my Platypus is full...but I can hang that outside the hammock and keep my pack inside at the foot.

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 20:45
Put the water in your food bag.

Just Jeff
04-06-2005, 22:15
Put the water in your food bag.
What do you drink at night?

MedicineMan
04-06-2005, 23:05
depends on the temperature, proximity of trail angels with beer, etc.

attroll
04-06-2005, 23:48
I made a little hanger at the head of my HH hammock on the inside so that I can hang my Platypus there at night so I can get a drink when I want to.

Ramble~On
04-07-2005, 04:43
rene,

Take a look at the Clark Jungle Hammock "North American".

There are six large pockets sewn into the botttom of the hammock and all of my stuff including backpack fit into the pockets. With the extra large rainfly it provides enough coverage to run an extra line for hanging other stuff on like clothes or whatever under the tarp. I'm able to reach into the pockets and pull out whatever I want while still in the hammock. The pockets take the place of a vestibule. There are two small pockets inside the hammock which work great for a headlamp, book and water bottle or whatever.

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 07:35
I normally sleep at night :D

But I do have a quart of water in a Gatorade bottle that has a small carabineer so I can clip it inside the hammock with me on the ridgeline behind my head.

HikerHobo
04-07-2005, 12:56
I may be showing my age, but one disadvantage to the bottom entry of the HH hammock is getting out of the darn thing in the middle of the night.
Again; and again?

:mad:

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 12:57
No, it is pretty easy. Like getting in and out of a recliner.

attroll
04-07-2005, 13:06
I may be showing my age, but one disadvantage to the bottom entry of the HH hammock is getting out of the darn thing in the middle of the night.
Again; and again?

:mad:
wbdent I don't think it is a disadvantage. I think it is an advantage. All I do is seperate the slit with my feet and drop my legs through the slit and sit straight up. From there you feet should be touvhing the ground just as if you were sitting on a chair. I then stand up and pull the hammock up over the top of me. Then I am out.

wbdent I do the same when getting into it. I lift the hammock up over my head and pull it over me like you would a poncho. Then I sit in it and pull my legs up through and lay down.

wbdent The only issue that takes some getting use to is getting into your sleeping back in the hammock. But I have mastered that now. Once you have done that a couple times you should be all set. There are different ways of doing it. You just have to find which ones works for you or find you own way.

hotelseven
04-11-2005, 17:48
I purchased the oversized Hex fly for my HH Expedition Asym, and am very glad I did. As you can see in the pictures (see link), there is plenty of extra room underneat to store stuff, sit, cook, etc. You can see the difference in sizes between the standard fly and Hex fly in the pics taken in my backyard. The Hex fly also gives an extra foot or so coverage on each end of the hammock (head and feet ends) so I put a carrabiner on each end to hang jackets, clothes, etc.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~most.recent.trip/

JoeHiker
04-11-2005, 18:55
I was just practicing setting up my new HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym this weekend. I must admit, I'm a little confused about all the lines coming from the hammock and the fly. Should I stake them or is it better to tie them to something.

I like the videos on the HH website but the problem is that they are taken from so far away that it's nearly impossible to see some actual detail. I'm glad for Shane Steinkamp's site to show me how to tie the knots.

hotelseven
04-11-2005, 19:57
Personally I stake mine out. It is pretty tough to find a tree or branch at that perfect spot that will give you the right amount of tension. One suggestion is to use shock-cord as tie-outs. Apparently it helps with flapping and keeps the fly taught when wet. I have yet to do this, but plan on it when I set it up next. One thing to watch though, is that if you stake them out with the shock-cord, if they free themselves under tension, they could become sharp projectiles!

Just Jeff
04-12-2005, 07:40
Personally I stake mine out. It is pretty tough to find a tree or branch at that perfect spot that will give you the right amount of tension. One suggestion is to use shock-cord as tie-outs. Apparently it helps with flapping and keeps the fly taught when wet. I have yet to do this, but plan on it when I set it up next. One thing to watch though, is that if you stake them out with the shock-cord, if they free themselves under tension, they could become sharp projectiles!
I like to tie off if there's a good tree nearby. I don't hike with poles so that lets me change the pitch. If nothing good is nearby, then I stake.

Here's how I keep my 8x8 tarp from flapping so much.
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner.html

It also helps to tie your tarp directly to the tree instead of using HH's connection to the hammock supports.

Dances with Mice
04-12-2005, 08:53
I like to tie off if there's a good tree nearby. I don't hike with poles so that lets me change the pitch. If nothing good is nearby, then I stake.

Here's how I keep my 8x8 tarp from flapping so much.
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner.html

It also helps to tie your tarp directly to the tree instead of using HH's connection to the hammock supports.

Cool! Thanks. I'm about to take my hammock out for a week on the Duncan Ridge Trail then the SE Foot Trails Conference. I like those ideas.

Time to rehang the hammock on the porch and tinker with it some more.