PDA

View Full Version : MREs as food?

Headcase
05-03-2012, 09:37
Anyone have any thoughts on carrying MREs as food on the trail? Each one is 1200-1400 calories and weigh 2 lbs. In the Marines we only ate 2 a day because of the calorie count. Carrying six days of food would be 24 pounds, plus snacks. Any thoughts on this? They aren't cheap, about $80 for 12 meals, so I am wondering thoughts on weight and cost, or what is an alternative for food?

Spokes
05-03-2012, 09:43
Way too heavy and way too expensive. Its a thru hike not a combat operation. :)

Stick with grocery stores for your food supplies and get hiker staples like peanut butter, oatmeal, couscous, Knorr's Sides, Mac 'n cheese, pasta, dark chocolate, instant potatoes, powerbars, Snickers, summer sausage, etc.... Mix it up and get a Mountain House dehydrated meal ever so often.

Cheers!

Tipi Walter
05-03-2012, 09:53
And way WAAAYYY too salty.

BlizzardChord
05-03-2012, 09:59
Anyone have any thoughts on carrying MREs as food on the trail? Each one is 1200-1400 calories and weigh 2 lbs. In the Marines we only ate 2 a day because of the calorie count. Carrying six days of food would be 24 pounds, plus snacks. Any thoughts on this? They aren't cheap, about $80 for 12 meals, so I am wondering thoughts on weight and cost, or what is an alternative for food?

​I say if your gonna take it, bring only one or two. 2lbs isn't too much and it'll be a nice luxury item dinner.

lemon b
05-03-2012, 10:12
Too heavy and kinda messy. I do like the heating element. Remember back in the 70's hauling C-Rats those were even worse. My own feeling with Military rations is that they are made with the undelining thought that a helecopter can always be vectored over for a resupply.

sly dog
05-03-2012, 10:26
Every other month someone brings this up, usually the same ones that mention using sternos. Lol

ATMountainTime
05-03-2012, 10:39
I for one wondered the same thing, but since ive never thru hike I didn't know either. simple question, great answers untill the response above.

Moose2001
05-03-2012, 10:57
If you use MREs, then you're tied to doing mail drops for all your meals. Not the best way to go.

Slo-go'en
05-03-2012, 11:05
Plus you end up with way too much trash.

sly dog
05-03-2012, 11:15
Sorry ATM, was just making light of the subject. And I have used them once or twice on a winter backpacking trip, MRE's that is. Haven't used a sterno since I was a cub scout. All my trail food comes from the supermarket, cheap, easy and light.

ATMountainTime
05-03-2012, 11:29
Sorry ATM, was just making light of the subject. And I have used them once or twice on a winter backpacking trip, MRE's that is. Haven't used a sterno since I was a cub scout. All my trail food comes from the supermarket, cheap, easy and light.

LMAO sorry, i have a dead exchange server, it's going to be in the 80's and clear and worst off...im not on the trail!

We used lots of Sterno in scouts, what else do you use to light fireworks?

:banana

Veetack
05-03-2012, 11:33
I carried MRE's on the AT when I was a teenager, but only about 3 days worth, as that's all we were doing. I don't recommend it. They are too heavy and create a TON of trash. I do think they're delicious, and would be a nice treat every so often, perhaps your first meal after a mail pickup. Frankly I'm pretty sure dry is the way to go. it's lighter and less trash. remember you have to haul everything out as well, which we didn't have to do in the Desert (I'm also Marine). As for calorie content, unless they've changed it in the past few years, one full MRE provides 2000 calories down to the chicklets. I can only imagine that if you were humping those things though you wouldn't poop your entire hike.

Mags
05-03-2012, 11:50
MREs are heavy enough that the military uses their own version of backpacking type meals:

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/older/lrp-dscp-archive-page.html

You may be better off making your own backpacking meal with cous cous, mac n' cheese, dehydrated beans and so on.

leaftye
05-03-2012, 12:13
Each one is 1200-1400 calories and weigh 2 lbs. In the Marines we only ate 2 a day because of the calorie count. Carrying six days of food would be 24 pounds, plus snacks.

If you're only going on a six day hike, you can afford to be at a huge calorie deficit that would happen with eating only two of those a day. On longer hikes you'll need 3-4 of those a day, which means carrying 36-48 pounds of MREs. The cost would be $120-160.

Deadeye
05-03-2012, 13:40
for me, MRE's are just one more option. I'll take them on weekenders now and then, or on a really long dayhike, but I wouldn't count on them for much else, for all the reasons noted.

mikec
05-03-2012, 14:16
I usually have one MRE in my pack along with the lightweight food. There have been times when I have gotten to camp late, when it's dark, when it's raining cats & dogs, when I have run out of fuel, when I feel like !@#$, etc and an MRE is quick to eat. No cooking. And I can then put up the tent and get to sleep immediately afterwards.

Sevsa
05-03-2012, 15:21
I used them once when I was younger and kept 2 with me as a backup. I saved them for days it was raining and loved having a hot meal without using a stove. However as already mentioned they are way too heavy to be practical and there is all that packaging to be packed out.

double d
05-03-2012, 15:22
As others have added, there exist so many better avenues to purchase quality hiking food then MREs. My dad often joked about the time I did buy MRE's at the Army/Navy store when I was in high school, he said the only time they ate them (or C rations as he called them) was when they ran out of eatable food! MRE's also pack funky as well, as you can't place them in a ziplock bag, you have to keep them in their own special package. Anyways, lots of better options for hiking food, as others have indicated.

Mr. Bumpy
05-03-2012, 15:34
I like to buy the entrees only They range from 200-400 calories. Bump them up with a bagel or ramens and its a filling meal. If I'm out for a week or so I alternate nights eating a wet pack one night and dehydrated the next. When I'm out for a long weekend I eat them exclusively. If you are dry camping or water is scarce a wet pack entree does you right. You can get them by the case or half case and most distributors will mix them up. It turns out you can get vegetarian and Kosher as well because they are used by disaster relief around the world. The stewed lentils rock.

Derek81pci
05-03-2012, 16:19
Marines can carry way more than the average Joe, infantry Marines anyway... Field strip it the way they showed you in boot right before you went for BWT. That's half the trash and a fair amount of weight. I'm taking some on my SOBO and will use them as back up or "just too damn tired to cook" food. It's your hike, do what you want!

moytoy
05-03-2012, 17:18
In 2009 Bison did his thru hike using MRE dinners. He had something like 32 mail drops. I would never use them but he is ex military and seemed to enjoy the organizing and planning. His Journal is a pretty good read. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262914

moytoy
05-03-2012, 17:26
I should have typed retired military not ex-military.

Headcase
05-04-2012, 13:26
Good discussion everybody. Please keep the suggestions coming. I like Derek81pci's suggestion about "field stripping" them like we did in the Marines. I am also leaning toward carrying other food as a primary meal and eating only one MRE a day. It would be 12 pounds for the 6 meals. As for the trash, we use the original bag and stuffed everything in it. We usually were able to put a weeks worth of bags inside 1 bag. What food does everyone recommend for daily consumption then?

ATMountainTime
05-04-2012, 14:09
Beer, beer and MORE BEER!

peakbagger
05-04-2012, 17:06
Hard to beat assorted Lipton noodle/rice meals with a bag of assorted dehydrated veggies and a bag of dehydrated chicken. The rice meals usually take less time to cook and larger stores have about 10 varieties. Usually the rice meals only have to be turned up to boil then covred and wrapped with something retain the heat, the noodles usually require a few more minutes of simmering.

JAK
05-04-2012, 17:27
Wait. MRE's are food ???

That explains alot.

mikec
05-04-2012, 20:11
I usually strip out most of the accessories from my MRE's and place the main entree, side and dessert into a freezer bag. That reduces the weight and acts as a trash receptacle as well as keeps the smell inside the freezer bag. Again I only carry one per wegment on a long hike and use it when I'm too tired, wet, unable to see in the dark, etc.

gunner76
05-04-2012, 21:00
MRE

Meals
Refused (by)
Everyone

In the 70's Mt House made two versions of their freezed dried meals, same meals just different packages....A civilian package in red that said Meal for 2 and a Military olive green package that said meal for 1

MRE's are Ok until you have to eat them for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner for several weeks.

Headcase
05-04-2012, 21:30
MRE

Meals
Refused (by)
Everyone

In the 70's Mt House made two versions of their freezed dried meals, same meals just different packages....A civilian package in red that said Meal for 2 and a Military olive green package that said meal for 1

MRE's are Ok until you have to eat them for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner for several weeks.

Gunner- Been there, done that! I like a lot of these ideas. I am seriously considering buying a case of 24 and carrying 4 a week to use as MikeC said, only when I am too tired, wet, or unable to see in the dark. Basically, only as a treat, or a last minute resort. That would make a case last me 6 weeks. At that rate, I would only need 3 or 4 cases at the most!

Trippinbilly33
05-05-2012, 02:01
Having lived off these for weeks at a time myself I would say pass for something lighter with less preservatives and cheaper. (Not to mention the that they wreak havoc on you digestive system)

gunner76
05-05-2012, 17:22
I have some MREs but I only take them on day hikes when weight is not a big deal. On longer hikes I want freeze dried or DIY dehydrated meals. I have been making my own meals for an up coming hike.

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2012, 21:38
Did anyone pick up on the fact his trail name is Headcase? Prior to postal?

When you get a chance - search on FBC or Freezer bag Cooking and alcohol stoves for your enjoyment...

Leave the ammo at home.

This wasn't to be rude... Just has no place on Hiking the AT or any other trail. IT is currently illegal to purchase real Military MRE and quite frankly (that's me) Has no place here... but this question occurs often - now that it's no longer offered legally... doesn't matter.

Rocket Jones
05-05-2012, 23:23
Did anyone pick up on the fact his trail name is Headcase? Prior to postal?

When you get a chance - search on FBC or Freezer bag Cooking and alcohol stoves for your enjoyment...

Leave the ammo at home.

This wasn't to be rude... Just has no place on Hiking the AT or any other trail. IT is currently illegal to purchase real Military MRE and quite frankly (that's me) Has no place here... but this question occurs often - now that it's no longer offered legally... doesn't matter.

What in the world are you talking about? MRE's are widely available, even on Amazon.

gunner76
05-06-2012, 00:58
Interesting link to what to look for when buying MREs on line or other places.......... http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/buying-mres.html

moytoy
05-06-2012, 07:14
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;

This wasn't to be rude... Just has no place on Hiking the AT or any other trail. IT is currently illegal to purchase real Military MRE and quite frankly (that's me) Has no place here... but this question occurs often - now that it's no longer offered legally... doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

The US Government does discourage selling MRE's and has even tried to say that it is illigal to sell them. But they have given up on that tactic since the US hands out millions of MRE's for disaster relief. IT IS ILLIGAL TO STEAL THEM! Although I would not want to carry the weight it seems to me to be a legit method of cooking and eating on an AT thru hike.

vamelungeon
05-06-2012, 18:22
I was given a pile of MRE's, so I opened the main package and separated them into individual components. Some of the stuff is good, some not so good. The condiment packages are very handy.
MRE's are widely available. You're not going to get busted for having them.

camperjames64
05-06-2012, 23:06
Thanx for the knowledge. I plan on using some on my trip.

Wise Old Owl
05-06-2012, 23:31
What in the world are you talking about? MRE's are widely available, even on Amazon.

I was given a pile of MRE's, so I opened the main package and separated them into individual components. Some of the stuff is good, some not so good. The condiment packages are very handy.
MRE's are widely available. You're not going to get busted for having them.

Yea it unenforceable...

This explained it best http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/buying-mres.html
According to the letter of the law, anyone selling a military surplus MRE to you on Ebay, in a surplus store, or anywhere is committing an illegal act. Surplus implies that there are mres that can be taken out of the military stock because there are too many and these extra ones can be offered to civilians who want to buy military mre meals. But on each package of military MREs it reads that commercial resale is unlawful. Why is selling Military MREs illegal? It technically is illegal to buy and sell government issue MREs on the civilian market because They are US Gov't Property and it is not lawful for anyone to resell them to people who want to purchase MREs for sale. As one person stated on the Internet: "The surplus stores will buy them as well even if they are illegal, the MP's don't have time to go to every shop to check them out and if the MRE's are expired then they don't care."
The Defense Supply Center in Philadelphia sent out this statement regarding military mre for sale on the civilian market: "All Operational Rations are procured by the Defense Logistics Agency and are Government owned property until consumed by authorized personnel or disposed of, if appropriate. Operational Rations are never considered “surplus”. RESALE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, as expressly stated on MRE cases and individual menu bags (U.S. GOVERNMENT PROPERTY COMMERCIAL RESALE IS UNLAWFUL)." So there you have it folks. If you are going to buy military MRE you should do it legally through one of the two best military contracted suppliers of civilian MREs (Ameriqual and Sopakco) and these are legal to sell and purchase.
Reports have been made about some military MRE’s that have been kept in a war zone for months and even years prior to appearing on ebay. What person in their right mind wants to consume any kind of food that has been in a hot desert for a year or longer? It is impossible for any company to make an MRE that can keep its freshness and edibility in constant high heat over a long period of time. Many tests determining how long MREs can last under harsh conditions have been done by the U.S. Army’s NATIC Research Laboratories. The test results: when MREs are stored in heat day in and day out that is over 100 degrees, the shelf life is less than two years. But MREs stored at approximately 70 degrees lasted for around one hundred months. Is it really worth buying MREs from either a surplus store or from ebay when you are taking this kind of risk with what you plan to eat? Thankfully you can buy them new from the two best contracted companies that the military uses to supply their own military meals ready to eat.
So all hope in finding trustworthy MREs is not lost. After doing extensive research of legal MREs available to the public, this researcher found two companies which are the two best contracted suppliers of MRE to the military but also supply MREs especially for public sale. The two best suppliers out of the three companies contracted to sell military MRE meals are Ameriqual and Sopakco. Ameriqual is the largest supplier of MREs and has a very delicious variety of civilian military MREs available in their case of twelve Ameriqual APack MREs which are available inexpensively from The Ready Store. Sopakco is the oldest supplier of the civilian variety of military MREs and they can be purchased inexpensively by the case through Amazon. Most people liked the MREs made by these companies the best.

My real point is that stripping them is Ok because of their high calorie nature - but honest they are heavy, not compact and not well suited - I have a few MRE's that military personal gave me - I have little use for them. To be honest FBC and shopping at a grocery is cheaper.

vamelungeon
05-07-2012, 07:21
Woo, it says SELL not possess.

vamelungeon
05-07-2012, 07:23
Woo, it says SELL not possess.
I owe you an apology, I misread your reply. Sorry Woo.

Wise Old Owl
05-07-2012, 14:14
RJ was wondering what I was talking about _ I dug it up...

QiWiz
05-08-2012, 13:20

WAY too heavy, too expensive, there are an infinite number of better options. You can get 3000 calories/day from 1.5 lbs of trail food per day at half the cost or less.