PDA

View Full Version : Need loop ideas

Veetack
05-03-2012, 11:59
A friend and I are headed out on Sunday for a 3 day loop in GSMNP and I need ideas of where to go. Here is what is what I would like to find:

A loop, as we plan to park and return to the same spot
Low traveled backcountry campsites that do not require reservations
2 nights of camping as we HAVE to be back in Knoxville on Tuesday evening.

anyone have any ideas?

HeartFire
05-03-2012, 12:21
I"m not home to look at maps, but I think the best would be to drive to Cataloochee and and do a loop there - you could drive up to the Mt Sterling rd and hike up in there.

flemdawg1
05-03-2012, 16:18
Wow thats a tough one. Almost any place you can string together 2 non-reserved campsites requires a road walk (cattaloochee, lakeshore dr, Twentmile)or is not a loop(BMT, Old Settlers Trail) . The closest I found to meeting your req'ts was leaving Smokemont CG, going to campsites 48 & 49.

flemdawg1
05-03-2012, 17:51
Scratch that last one. I'd make a loop from Polls Gap, on Heintooga Ridge Rd staying at sites 41 and 40.

Veetack
05-04-2012, 12:57
So I caved and chose a loop with a reservation site, because it'll knock Clingman's dome off of my SB6k. Starting at Clingmans dome, hiking south on the AT to Miry Ridge trail, staying night one at 27. Day 2 is a short hike down miry ridge to cucumber gap to little river and staying night 2 at 24. day three is up sugarlands trail and back to clingman's dome. Should be pretty fun.

mwhoyle
06-03-2012, 11:28
So I caved and chose a loop with a reservation site, because it'll knock Clingman's dome off of my SB6k. Starting at Clingmans dome, hiking south on the AT to Miry Ridge trail, staying night one at 27. Day 2 is a short hike down miry ridge to cucumber gap to little river and staying night 2 at 24. day three is up sugarlands trail and back to clingman's dome. Should be pretty fun.

How did it go?

Veetack
06-08-2012, 18:13
How did it go?

Pretty well. It was tough, but now that I just went from Springer to Fontana, I think I could do it again with ease.

Veetack
06-08-2012, 18:14
How did it go?
We actually skipped the reservation site because we got there at 9 AM and finished the hike in 2 days. Went into Gatlinburg and got beer, pizza and a hotel on day 3