PDA

View Full Version : Section hike in PA...anyone have experience near Harrisburg?

kidchill
05-03-2012, 15:58
I live in State College and I'm preparing for a SOBO thru this year. I'm not too far away from Harrisburg, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the AT in this area. I'd like to do an out and back hike in the area on the AT. Anyone know the best place to park and off what road to go? I know that's kind of vague, but just curious for any input. Also, water availability is a concern. Further, I was gonna have some people meet me somewhere around here while I'm thruhiking, any ideas where the best place would be? Maybe somewhere there's an actual park/pavilions for a BBQ and some planned trail magic!! Thanks for any info!

tf bear
05-03-2012, 16:13
Port Clinton has a picnic pavilion steps from the trail. Also that part of the AT has some awesome look outs

kidchill
05-03-2012, 16:15
Port Clinton has a picnic pavilion steps from the trail. Also that part of the AT has some awesome look outs

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm trying to find somewhere the State College folks won't have to drive too far. Duncannon riverside campground might fit the bill...Thanks for the info!

Stepinwolfe
05-03-2012, 16:53
How much time do you have or how many miles do you want to go? Consider Duncannon to Boiling Springs or Pine Grove Furnance State Park or Penn Mar depending on the time you have.

Cookerhiker
05-03-2012, 17:43
You could park in Boiling Springs and hike south for your out-and-back.