PDA

View Full Version : Icewater Spring to Cosby Knob in 1 day??

ParkRat09
05-03-2012, 21:49
I do not usually do more than 13 or so miles in a day, but am considering hiking the 21 miles between Icewater Springs shelter to Cosby Knob shelter in the Smokies in 1 day. Has anyone done this section in 1 day before? I am trying to cut a day out of my Smokies AT section hike and was originally planning on just going from Icewater to Tricorner (13 miles), but thinking about going all the way to Cosby Knob (8 more miles). Next day will be small as well (only about 8 miles to hike out to my shuttle at Davenport Gap)

ChinMusic
05-03-2012, 22:00
All I can say is that this is close to, if not the, easiest 20 miles in the Smokies.

ParkRat09
05-03-2012, 22:03
All I can say is that this is close to, if not the, easiest 20 miles in the Smokies.
Looking at my guides and maps that's exactly what I was thinking (but wasn't sure) and a big reason why I chose to possibly use that section to make up a day

GritsNgreens
05-03-2012, 22:32
Rock that sh__ buddy, you can do it!!!!

CrumbSnatcher
05-03-2012, 22:35
this is were most nobo's do thier first 20

ParkRat09
05-03-2012, 22:42
Good to know thanks

baxter
05-03-2012, 22:50

Right on, Crumbsnatcher! It was my 1st 20 on my thru.

Biggie Master
05-03-2012, 22:56
Yep -- you can do this. A friend and I started from Newfound Gap parking area at 8:30pm on 12/30/11 and walked to Snake Den Trail and on into the Cosby Campground at 10:30am (about 25 total miles). Snake Den Trail was the only difficult part -- like walking in a rock filled creek bed for 5.2 miles and all downhill... But if you're going to Cosby Shelter, you'll miss that fun.

ParkRat09
05-03-2012, 23:11
Yep -- you can do this. A friend and I started from Newfound Gap parking area at 8:30pm on 12/30/11 and walked to Snake Den Trail and on into the Cosby Campground at 10:30am (about 25 total miles). Snake Den Trail was the only difficult part -- like walking in a rock filled creek bed for 5.2 miles and all downhill... But if you're going to Cosby Shelter, you'll miss that fun.
Been on Snake Den Ridge before and it's def tough but won't be an issue for me this time! Cosby to Davenport Gap is nice and easy downhill, so i'll prob be tired but i'll have an easy day after the 21 miles

bigcranky
05-04-2012, 07:26
I did the opposite, hiked the 13 to Tricorner, then the next day did ~19 to Standing Bear. What you are proposing would be easier - that's a nice stretch of trail.

Monkeywrench
05-04-2012, 08:19
http://allenf.com/blog/?p=68

Monday, 4/6/09
Icewater Spring Shelter to Cosby Knob ShelterAT Miles = 20.3 / 228
Other Miles = 0 / 13.7
Total Miles = 20.3 / 241.7In the morning the rain had stopped, but the wind was still whipping and the temperature was falling. I set out from the shelter with a group of six other hikers with the aim of reaching Tricorner Knob Shelter about 12 and a half miles away. About 10:00 it started snowing, and the temp continued to drop making it very cold walking. We all pushed pretty hard and were at Tricorner Knob about 2:00. After contemplating sitting around in the shelter getting colder and colder all afternoon, we all decided to push on and make the miles to Cosby Knob Shelter. The rest of the day was mostly a march through the blowing snow, and by 5:00pm we all had finished the 20 miles to the shelter. There were already 9 or 10 people at the shelter, which has a capacity of 12. Luckily for us everybody was willing to scrunch together and we managed to fit everybody in by setting up the sleeping pads right next to each other. It snowed all day and was still snowing when we all climbed up into our bunks. I think we entertained all the weekenders by fantasizing about all the different foods we will get when we finally make it to Hot Springs, probably around Friday.

Rusty Nail
05-06-2012, 01:07
Just did this a few weeks ago. If not for the park rules on stealthing I would have gone further. I was averaging 15+ each day and this was my first 20.

Kerosene
05-06-2012, 14:42
This was a pretty easy section of the trail. If the weather is decent, think about having breakfast at Charlies Bunion that morning, or doing a quick jaunt to see the sunset the night before. The elevation changes are quite moderate, but that section is rockier than the trail south of Newfound Gap. Enjoy!

ParkRat09
05-06-2012, 23:34
This was a pretty easy section of the trail. If the weather is decent, think about having breakfast at Charlies Bunion that morning, or doing a quick jaunt to see the sunset the night before. The elevation changes are quite moderate, but that section is rockier than the trail south of Newfound Gap. Enjoy!
Thx for the advice