PDA

View Full Version : How's weather effecting drop-out rate

lobster
04-06-2005, 11:06
so far this thru-hiker season??

max patch
04-06-2005, 11:37
so far this thru-hiker season??

If someone quits early because its a bit colder than they anticipated or it has rained a few days more...then thats just an excuse. If you want to hike the trail then you will hike the trail. If you don't you'll quit. Theres always a reason to quit. Too hot in Virginia. Too rocky in Pennsylvania. Too much rain. Not enough rain.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2005, 11:42
No more than usual. There are a few folks who've gottten discouraged by the weather and gone home, but this happens every year. (I should add that this happens much more often in the EARLY season, i.e. if you decide to start in February or early March rather than a few weeks later).

As I write this, it's a beautiful day in Hot Springs, might get up to 70. And there was snow up on Max Patch just three days ago!

In short, you never know what you're going to get around here. Only sure thing is that you're going to see all sorts of weather in the South in the first few weeks of your trip, and you have to prepare for this, and get by the rough patches.

Anyone that gets knocked out and quits in the first few weeks because of a bad weather episode or stretch in all likelihood wasn't going to get too far anyway.

halibut15
04-06-2005, 12:20
There was about 6+ inches of snow up on the Cherohala Skyway/Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness areas this weekend when I was there, and that was after some melting had occurred. I looked like they got slammed. Afterwards people were walking around in shorts down on the Upper Tellico. Talk about fun.... :D

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 18:34
Just got back from the Mt Collins shelter and it was very windy, last night it got down to 35F. The trail was covered in slush and the campsite was a mudhole. But the class of 2005 thru-hikers there (about 12 or so) were having a blast. We took some down to Gatliburg this morning for re-supply and AYCE, almost every one of them was getting back on the trail again today.

MOWGLI
04-06-2005, 19:30
Hellacious storms are expected in GA, TN & NC tonite. Personally, I'm glad I'll be in the comfort of my own bed instead of in a tent or sheler on a trail somewhere.

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 19:47
Yep, two of the hikers were thiking about splitting a room in Gatlinburg, about 7 were getting back on tonight. The plan was to stay at Icewater Springs shelter so they should be OK.

Wildcat (2004) and Rebel With a Cause called me yesterday to tell me they were putting on some trail magioc, so I took off early from work and went to the shelter to help out. It was a pretty good time. I can't remember everyones' name, but those I do remeber:

Linda and David - brother and sister
Krazy Kattie
Pathfinder
The Walrus
Whitebeard
Captain Chaos
Rawhide
Snowman

I'm sorry to the few I am brain fharting.

Rebel, with a Cause!
04-07-2005, 08:32
Greybeard, not Whitebeard
Draggin
Lisa and David
Grey Walrus
Radio
Pilot

as well as the others already memtioned

Everyone had a Great Time, especially after Sgt Rock showed up.
It was funny as everyone kept asking if he was THE Sgt Rock ( hehe )
Sgt Rock even gave away an Ion stove and had many discussions on the merits and abilites of different alcohol stoves.

The snow had melted down alot since Sunday, since there were drifts on Sunday of up to 3 feet near Mollies Ridge and other places.

Wildcat was a Great Host and supplied a great feast to all.

I hope to see you all in the Smokies

Frosty
04-07-2005, 23:17
Everyone had a Great Time, especially after Sgt Rock showed up.
It was funny as everyone kept asking if he was THE Sgt Rock ( hehe )Would that make you guys the Combat Happy Joes of easy COmpany?

Mr. Clean
04-08-2005, 18:34
We've still got about 2 feet of snow here in the Whites, but I've gotta go out there anyway.

ncmtns
04-09-2005, 18:56
Just got back from a section north of Hot Springs. Seems some folks had to get shuttled off that hill because of the storm. One girl fought her way up and across the Patch right in the middle of the blizzard and had to make the next shelter or turn to ice. She made it but now is left behind her group recovering from major muscle cramps. Kinda blew me away with her story. Louis LaMour would say she has 'sand'. Just a small gal, she was camping alone when we met her. I know what Id be thinking if I were her Dad!

Rain Man
04-09-2005, 20:15
It's Saturday evening (April 9) and I just returned from hiking the AT through the Smokies this week (Monday-Friday, Fontana Dam-to-Standing Bear Farm).

The weather? It was FINE, not too cold at all. The one day a storm was predicted (Wednesday night), we had 24 in Icewater Springs Shelter, but there was no real storm, just windy all night with a little rain.

Some of the trail conditions are sad, IMHO. Not enough manpower out of the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club, plus too much wear and tear from horses, I suspect.

I'll be posting a ton of pics, plus a trip report over the next few days. Met many fine thrus and had a blast!

Rain:sunMan