PDA

View Full Version : Vibram FiveFinger thru-hike success?

BrianLe
05-03-2012, 23:18
I'm curious if anyone has completed a thru-hike on any long trail wearing Vibram FiveFinger sort-of-shoes or similar product?

Since I know that I've heard of some completely barefoot hikers in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has done this, but I'm just curious if there are any known cases.

And then as a follow-up I think it would be interesting to get any observations from a person that has actually done this. I.e., are there issues (good or bad) about hiking this way all-day every day for months on end versus just doing so on shorter jaunts. How many miles can you get out of a pair. Are there particular trail types (different variations on "rocky" maybe) that are particularly bad. That sort of thing.

TIA.

ScottP
05-04-2012, 01:52
Brian--

I've done some section hikes in minimalist footwear, and I do road runs in minimalist footwear (altra adams are my current favorite) or barefoot. That type of footwear excels on surfaces where you always have the opportunity to pick very good footing--road, track, grass, dirt trail, etc.

You can get away with hiking in something like a merrel trail glove. But really it's just not the right tool for the job.

Downhills are bad. steep uphills in Mud are bad. slick/wet rock is bad, sections where you can't avoid stepping on sharp rocks are bad.

Oleskool
05-04-2012, 06:16
I wear New Balance Minimus Trail and my wife wears Merrell Pace Gloove Trail, both of are "barefoot" minimalist shoes. We are starting out thru hike May 14th NOBO. These shoes work great as long as you pack is very light. (Both of out dry pack weights are around 9.5lbs) The thing about these types of shoes is that they lengthen your calf's (no/less heel to forefoot drop) so you need to log a lot of short walks/runs before hiking in them to get your calf's and feet ready.

Mfrenchy
05-04-2012, 08:01
I am currently attempting a thru in a pair of Merrell Tough Glove minimalist shoe. I am in Virginia now, but I plan on continuing wearing them until Maine. I would like to hold off on giving a full evaluation until I am done, but I love them. Couple things I would change, but so far so good

http://appalachianfrenchy.blogspot.com/

LadybugPicnic
05-04-2012, 10:56
Great question - I have been wearing Vibram Five Fingers for the last year and I love them. I have hiked extensively with them and they have held up pretty well. I have heard there are some sections of the hike that have a lot of sharp rocks and that could be an issue I think. They just came out with Spyridons for hiking and trail running - they have a heavier tread than their Treksports (also for hiking/trail running) plus a mesh lining to provide a bit more protection. I am planning a through hike for 2013 and plan on wearing them, but also bringing a pair of regular trail shoes for tougher sections. I may bounce them along until I need them as I don't want to carry the extra weight.

Dodds1990
05-04-2012, 23:19
I am currently doing a thru-hike and I am in Gatlinburg right now. A few days ago a kid wearing five fingers broke 2 of his toes by stubbing them on a rock so if you choose to wear them be careful!

folkxrock
05-05-2012, 10:22
I just completed the Inca Trail in the Vibram spyridon. While this was a shorter hike (just over 30 miles) it has lots of rock and other problem areas for Vibram hiking. The Spyridon's are a game changer. I can't say enough good things about the new sole.
They are really excellent at downhill and rocky sections. Hands down my new favorite vibrams.

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2012, 15:46
I like Scott's answer I just got back from REI and picked up a LA Sportiva and its Mountain... and I shaved off 5oz and tossed Goretex to the wind. Traction is superior and fits come in wides - solves to me - every issue he mentioned.

Just not going into a toe stubbing shoe.

http://www.rei.com/product/829323/la-sportiva-c-lite-20-trail-running-shoes-mens

Tinker
05-05-2012, 17:55
I'm on the maxi-side and would probably have trouble with stone bruises in minimalist shoes. I set aside my Asics trail runners to complete Pa. after I got a few bad bruises and a badly stubbed toe. I'm wearing Merrill Moabb Ventilators and have put 90 miles of Pa. AT on them without any stability or sensitivity issues. I wear OTC orthotic inserts recommended by my doctor, so YMMV.
I imagine wearing Five Fingers without socks could expose tender feet to seams, but I haven't actually tried them. Iniji socks with individual toes have been spoken of with great admiration, even by folks who have overlapping toes or other issues which cause friction issues, so maybe they might work with the Vibram shoes.
I'd be afraid of getting one or two toes bent back on a tricky ascent, as opposed to having the sole of a standard shoe spread the pressure to all of the toes.

05-11-2012, 11:46
I've met a woman currently thru-hiking in Vibrim Five Fingers and after 350 miles or so, she has lost most of her toenails. I don't know if she wears toe socks. I wear the Merrel Pace Glove as a camp shoe and live them, but I think I'd hold off on trying to backpack in them unless my pack was sub 20 lbs.

05-11-2012, 11:47
I've met a woman currently thru-hiking in Vibrim Five Fingers and after 350 miles or so, she has lost most of her toenails. I don't know if she wears toe socks. I wear the Merrel Pace Glove as a camp shoe and live them, but I think I'd hold off on trying to backpack in them unless my pack was sub 20 lbs.

Love them, would live in them if I could.

Giantsbane
05-11-2012, 11:58
I fully plan to wear mine the entire way. Ive done a lot of hiking with my vibrams and walk around barefoot as much as I can so the rocks don't bother me a bit. Also I don't wear socks with them and I have yet to lose any toenails.

caroline
05-28-2012, 16:21
I've hiked in the Southwest in my Vibrams. They were amazing on the way uphill, particularly because that terrain is so rocky and they provide such a unique grip. They were terrible going downhill. Granted, I'm sure this has something to do with unfamiliarity, but I decided I didn't want to bother with re-teaching myself how to hike -- I don't think they would've provided me any distinct advantages if I'd gotten more used to them.