PDA

View Full Version : Leeches!!

WIAPilot
05-03-2012, 23:32
Holy Mother of God, but just when I thought that I had prepared myself for the worst = bears, ticks, huge spiders, rain, mud, mosquitos, mice in your pack, mice in the shelter, mice in your feedbags, mice in your tent - NOW I am hearing that there are LEECHES too. (The blood-sucking kind; not the Trail Moochers :eek:) WHAT areas are they at?

And just tell me now in one swift blow: Is there anything else that I can look forward to?

fiddlehead
05-04-2012, 00:15
I've experienced leeches in the jungles of Thailand and trekking in Nepal during wet season.
Only ever had one on the AT and that was while swimming in one of the ponds in Maine.
You just pick them off.
They basically just thin your blood and make you bleed and you don't even feel it.
Not a big deal.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Most of us enjoy hiking.

Coming from Tucson, most likely cold and wet will be your biggest challenges.

ps. huge spiders are not something I'd ever worry about. It's the tiny ones that can give you problems.

stranger
05-04-2012, 04:18
Haha...don't come to Australia then, we have leeches on land here, and they while harmless are a pain in the A$$, I bleed like crazy after getting one.

On the AT? Unless you go swimming in New England (ponds) all the time, it's highly unlikely. Worry about Lyme Disease...that is something to be concerned with. Also, giant spiders? Who are you talking to haha?

marty1983
05-04-2012, 04:20
Ever since I saw the movie 'Stand By Me' I have disliked leeches.

rickb
05-04-2012, 07:06
And just tell me now in one swift blow: Is there anything else that I can look forward to?

The wood pussy can be a bit disconcerting.

Once they get used to hikers, there is no good way to kick them out of a shelter at night.

If you are saying at a shelter where they are known to be about, be sure to get a spot on the top platform -- then watch the show below. Yet another good reason to be the first in your party to read the register!

Blissful
05-04-2012, 10:46
You can find leeches in the ponds in Maine. I had several when I went wading.

ATMountainTime
05-04-2012, 10:54
Had a couple in Georgia mtns, nothing really recent. They are easy to get off in comparison to a tick. are they a little gross? yes! Just not a big deal.

Moose2001
05-04-2012, 11:00
Holy Mother of God, but just when I thought that I had prepared myself for the worst = bears, ticks, huge spiders, rain, mud, mosquitos, mice in your pack, mice in the shelter, mice in your feedbags, mice in your tent - NOW I am hearing that there are LEECHES too. (The blood-sucking kind; not the Trail Moochers :eek:) WHAT areas are they at?

Wow....your pack must be getting heavy! Cellphone, SPOT, snakebite kit and now an anti-leech kit!!

If you leave your fears at home, you could carry a lot less stuff!

WIAPilot
05-04-2012, 17:56
Wow....your pack must be getting heavy! Cellphone, SPOT, snakebite kit and now an anti-leech kit!!

If you leave your fears at home, you could carry a lot less stuff!

LOL I'm bringing the phone (as are most hikers) and the snakebite/wasp/bee/insect kit at 4.8 oz. I inquired about the SPOT. No anti-leech kit, but I won't be swimming in those areas, that's for sure! I think that most women are just a little grossed out by leeches if they've lived most of their life in the desert.

But you know Moose? I'm going to hike that trail from GA to Maine = fears and all. You can enjoy my blog every step of the way...:p

marty1983
05-04-2012, 18:22
LOL I'm bringing the phone (as are most hikers) and the snakebite/wasp/bee/insect kit at 4.8 oz. I inquired about the SPOT. No anti-leech kit, but I won't be swimming in those areas, that's for sure! I think that most women are just a little grossed out by leeches if they've lived most of their life in the desert.

But you know Moose? I'm going to hike that trail from GA to Maine = fears and all. You can enjoy my blog every step of the way...:p

Link to blog please. Also, when are you starting?

T-Rx
05-04-2012, 18:25

Fear = Weight

WIAPilot
05-04-2012, 18:39
Link to blog please. Also, when are you starting?

LOL Class of 2013; leaving mid to late Feb. So I'll have 10 months to address and PREPARE for my concerns. I'll let you know link to blog as time draws near so that you guys can start making wagers...

Moose2001
05-04-2012, 18:44

That's the right attitude!