PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Grease Pot

Van Lloyden
04-06-2005, 14:01
Has anybody devised a way to keep food from getting stuck under the lip of the Wal Mart Grease Pot?

I'd like to cook in the pot use it byond boiling water.

Anybody have any substantial findings?

hiker5
04-06-2005, 14:37
Anti-gravity gear has a similar pot here (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/3-cup-pot.html), but with a non-stick coating and the lip rolled outward instead of inward.

blytz
04-06-2005, 14:48
I have one of the anti-gravity gear pots.. it's GREAT for a solo hiker. Worth the diffrence in cost.

I've heard very good things about there bigger sets also.

David S.
04-06-2005, 16:18
I picked up one of those grease pots a while back just because I thought It would make a nice addition to my current "collection"...and it was cheap.

I have questioned the sanitary aspects of getting food caught under the lip.
First of all, my theory is that if you cook with it regularly, the heat from cooking should kill anything growing there. If you are really concerned, you could put it on your stove for a minute or two with no water in it to burn out anything that might be lingering there.

Another thought is that you could get some food grade silicon and fill in that area so nothing could lodge in there and create a problem.

Mountain Hippie
04-06-2005, 16:50
Some thoughts on this. While the heat will kill certain "nasties", I question it's effectiveness on spoiled or rotten food particles. Food grade silicone may be a remedy, but silicone can be finicky as to what it will adhere to. I tried one of the pots for awhile and cut the lip off.
Anti-gravity gears pot is a better, albeit more costly choice. The non-stick coating makes it worth the money, at least to me. :)

Dances with Mice
04-06-2005, 18:06
Just use a pair of pliers to crimp the rolled edge flat.

jlb2012
04-06-2005, 20:47
forget about the grease pot and use a chopped off Heineken 24 ounce beer can instead - no lip and its lighter

Van Lloyden
04-07-2005, 14:11
forget about the grease pot and use a chopped off Heineken 24 ounce beer can instead - no lip and its lighter
I saw your posting on that. I'm a bit partieal to the PBR myself and have been using a chopped off PBR can for a cup (works great)

Just Jeff
04-07-2005, 14:14
I saw your posting on that. I'm a bit partieal to the PBR myself and have been using a chopped off PBR can for a cup (works great)Seems like it would stay sharp enough to cut you...how do you keep such a thin material from being too sharp?

Van Lloyden
04-07-2005, 14:19
Are you all referring to the $8 or $10 Antigravity Gear Pot....that is nothing with regards to a cost increase.

Non-stick....here I come

jlb2012
04-07-2005, 14:22
Seems like it would stay sharp enough to cut you...how do you keep such a thin material from being to sharp?

what I do is to take the metal handle to a pair of pliers and rub it around the inside and outside of the cut edge - this helps round off the edge. So far this has worked for me - I typically stick my hand in the pot to dry it out before putting it away and have never had any problems with cuts/scraps from the edge.

Note the pot does get a little bent up now and then due to the pack but its no problem to shape it back into a generally round shape before use.

slabfoot
04-08-2005, 09:33
my greasepot is only used to boil the water used to add to food in a freezerbag. no problems with a dirty pot. check out www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/index.htm

regards,
bill

rpettit
04-08-2005, 11:17
How much does a Wal-Mart grease pot weigh?

Van Lloyden
04-08-2005, 11:50
The WalMart Grease Pot is about 2.5 oz.

Regarding the PBR cup that I made, the edge is sharp, but not razor sharp. I mean, I've not had a problem to date drinking out of it yet. Just be cautious and you'll hve few problems.

hiker5
04-13-2005, 17:36
I just bought a Heineken keg can to try out as a pot. I was successfull in removing the top using a side-cutting can opener. The result is a 24 oz. (25 oz. if you fill it to the brim) capacity pot with no sharp edges what so ever, without the need for filing, sanding, or shaping of the edge in any manner. The can opener did cause some slight deformation of the side wall immediately below the top edge, but the dents were very minor and the gauge of the can is such that there seems to be no affect on the can/pot. Now I just need to decide on a pot stand to try using with it.

SGT Rock
04-13-2005, 17:47
Hardware cloth.

hiker5
04-13-2005, 19:08
Hardware cloth.

Thats what I was thinking of trying after seeing Hog on Ice's setup. Unfortunately I don't have any on hand. I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store some time in the near future.

SGT Rock
04-13-2005, 19:21
You will have to get a whole roll of it just for a small piece. Too bad you aren't near another stove nut.

hiker5
04-14-2005, 07:56
I also have another idea. Since I used a side-cutting can opener to remove the top, the top is still intact and the bottom of the can nests nicely in the top. So if i remove the material from the center of the can top (dremel), all I need to to find is a simple support for the ring. The diameter of the top is a little less than a tuna can so I might get that to work. Or I suppose I could just get another keg can an chop off the top. Heck if that worked, some one may be able to make a pot and stand from the same can. Oh the possibilities....

atraildreamer
04-23-2006, 06:44
Has anybody devised a way to keep food from getting stuck under the lip of the Wal Mart Grease Pot?

Try a K-Mart grease pot. The lip turns the other way and eliminates the sticking problem. Costs about $8, I don't know what it weighs.

If you want a smaller grease pot, go to a hispanic grocery store that stocks the Imusa line of cookware. They have a 2cup/500 ml grease pot that costs about $2, and weighs about 1 1/2 oz. They also make a lot of small, lightweight teflon-coated fry pans, paella pans and aluminum cups that are ideal for lightweight backpacking.