PDA

View Full Version : Just introducing myself

bigwallhiker
05-04-2012, 15:42
Hey guys Ill be on this forum a lot in the next couple month. I have been wanting to hike the AT alone pretty much all my life but could never find the time. I recently decided to quit my dead end job and go on a substantial hike on the AT I have the cash, the time, and the dream. The only thing holding me back is being a fat ass, I have never let that stop me and have climbed many mountains including katahdin, Washington(nh), St. Helen's and Mt. Hood. My back packing experience is extremely limited never been on more then a three day solo hike but loved almost every minute of it.
My plan is to start July first just south of Baxter state park and hike for a good month or two but I could go longer depending on how I am liking my trek.
I am just starting to get all my gear together I plan on purchasing a quality backpack and tent the rest of the gear I have from previous trips. I'm a hardcore techie and plan on bringing my smartphone, tiny sd based mp3 player, GPS (garmin 60csx), 200lumen multimode ipx8 flashlight that uses a singe AA, and kindle. The problem I see is with the weight and charging, I have a device that will charge USB items using AA battery's. I have a lot of these powerx 2700mh nimh AA's I am just wondering if anyone knows of any light weight solar cell I can use on my hike?

Cookerhiker
05-04-2012, 16:08
Welcome to WhiteBlaze!:welcome. You'll find lots of good info on the many threads of this site. Since you're planning to start a southbound hike from Baxter, you may find this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-(MEGA)) on SOBO thruhikes useful. Having hiked up Katahdin and Washington, you should have a fair idea of how challenging the ME & NH parts of the AT are.

Sounds like you're starting with the 100 Mile Wilderness which is not the most physically difficult part of ME but you have a long ways to go before resupplying. And make sure you're prepared - mentally as well as physically - for the fords in the 100 Mile.

Good luck!

WIAPilot
05-04-2012, 16:19
Welcome! Think twice before you put it in your pack. Read everything you can before you purchase any gear. They are always coming out with lighter and better gear each year. Just bring your smartphone and flashlight. There are Kindle apps for your phone + GPS + iTunes and other apps. You will need to budget approx $5000 + any car payments/debts for the estimated 6 months it will take you. Good luck!

JAK
05-04-2012, 17:34
Start out with just your 3 day solo gear, plus food. If you really want more stuff, buy it as you go, and as you lose weight. You should lose alot of weight, about 0.5 pounds per day, or more accurately up to 1% of your body fat per day, but you still need to eat about half the calories you are burning, so that limits things also. Good luck with it.

T-Rx
05-04-2012, 18:38
With all of those techno gadgets I would suggest a really long electrical extension cord (LOL). Seriously, WIAPilot is right that a smart phone alone will perform all the functions you mentioned as well as many others. Try to avoid single function items when possible.

T-Rx
05-04-2012, 18:47
I left out the most important part of my previous post. ​Welcome to whiteblaze!

T.S.Kobzol
05-04-2012, 20:18
Welcome. Read a lot. weigh your total gear and compare it with experienced thru hikers and then decide if you need to take some stuff off.

Papa D
05-04-2012, 20:26
Welcome to WhiteBlaze - - it's fine to be a techie (though I think you have too many devices) and techies are also often gear-heads - you'll fit in perfect here. Just remember not to loose site of the fact that backpacking is a physical endeavor - no amount of time building alcohol stoves or downloading the right trail tunes to the right device (or hanging out here) will substitute (in the preparation department) for getting out and hiking or running long hard mileage. :welcome

bigwallhiker
05-05-2012, 00:29
Thanks guys!!

As far as the gadgets go I plan on using the smartphone only around towns where I can charge it and for pictures, the mp3 will be my most used gadget and i'm trying to figure out exactly how much power it draws, the garmin gps will last 48hours on and tracking with just 2 rechargeable AA's but ill only be turning it on when needed, as far as the kindle goes it should last between rest stops with just an hour or two a night.
As far as a backpack goes I have tried the Osprey Atmos 65 and love how it feels i'm hoping that having a really comfortable pack will make it feel like I'm caring less weight. In the past I have always put all my gear together last minute and have made some bad decisions weight wise hopefully this time I get it right. As far as my tent goes I think I am gonna get the ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 its affordable looks durable and has a good amount of room, I just hope its not to heavy at 4lb 3oz. The ultra light weights I've looked at seem to small or to expensive.
As far as training for the trek I have been doing daily 2mile walks and two or three times a week a good 7 mile or so hike. Until i'm done with work I wont have time to do much more.

HikerMom58
05-05-2012, 12:30
Welcome to WB and good luck with everything! :) If you make it to Daleville, VA, I wil be happy to meet you with trail magic!! You will love the generosity of ALL the trail angels along the AT. :) Wishing the BEST for you! :)

lemon b
05-06-2012, 15:32
Welcome. Just go for it. Figure it all out on the fly. Do not push the miles at first.

WingedMonkey
05-06-2012, 16:09
Of course you will not need $5000 to do a month or two on the trail. If you like your toys (electronics), pack them, when you don't like them send them home. If you are out to explore the trail you have lots of learning room with less of the time constraints of a thru-hike.

However...you are jumping right into one of those sections where you carry what you will need the beginning week of your hike and resupply is now very limited at Monson without the General Store. Plan around that if you need a mail drop and where your next resupply will be.

Every week you make it on the trail is less of a "fat ass" you will be.