PDA

View Full Version : Best Headlamp?

WIAPilot
05-04-2012, 15:59
I'm looking at the Black Diamond Storm Headlamp as it has good reviews and is completely waterproof. Anyone else know of a headlamp that is better?

flemdawg1
05-04-2012, 16:07
http://www.rei.com/product/830453/princeton-tec-remix-headlamp

I prefer this one. Its lighter, uses 1 less batt with similar runtime, has a red setting so you can read and do stuff in the dark shelter without disturbing others.

johnnybgood
05-04-2012, 16:12
I'm looking at the Black Diamond Storm Headlamp as it has good reviews and is completely waterproof. Anyone else know of a headlamp that is better?

I've also heard good reviews with the Storm. The determining factor on a better one is how much you're willing to spend.

Llama Legs
05-04-2012, 16:16
buy one that uses AAA batteries. easy to find and cheap.

leaftye
05-04-2012, 16:31
Define "better".

Mags
05-04-2012, 17:52
In a more gentle way than Leafy, there is no such thing as "best" in any gear. :)

Just what is best for you, your hiking style, budget and so on.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with most modern style headlamps. They all weigh roughly the same and have a similar price.

You can go lighter, but the type of headlamp you mentioned is a good 'bread and butter' type that has been in use in form or another by different manufacturers almost 15 yrs now.

Basically, you can use the headlamp for any outdoor activity you might do.

FWIW, here's a really ultra-light favorite:
http://www.photonlight.com/led-keychain-flashlights/photon-micro-light-ii/

A dirt bagger version of the headlamp you mentioned (Batteries included!)
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=energizer+3+led+headlamp&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wUR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=670&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=447246052580792535&sa=X&ei=Qk6kT7mKGomc9gT376nAAw&ved=0CHoQ8wIwAA

And here's what I use as my backpacking headlamp. For me it provided more light than the Photon, takes a single AAA battery I can get anywhere and it is still light in terms of oz. Under many different names (sold at Target as Eddie Bauer; Home Depot as Coast Cutlery) but still made in the same factory. :)
http://www.amazon.com/CUTLERY-TT7451CP-LED-HEADLAMP-FLASHLIGHT/product-reviews/B000COTSSY
(Out of stock on Amazon)

Rocket Jones
05-04-2012, 17:55
For a long time I've used a no-name no-frills headlamp from WalMart and it's been reliable and all I needed. Last Christmas Santa brought me a Petzl with the red LED option and I like it a lot too.

jeffmeh
05-04-2012, 18:02
I like the Petzl Zipka Plus 2. 2.5 oz. for 70 lumens is a pretty good solution.

WIAPilot
05-04-2012, 18:15
Define "better".

It is actually written: Define "better." I thought you should know this for the next time that you attempt to belittle a hiker. :cool:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2012, 18:23
zebralight h51

fiddlehead
05-04-2012, 20:37
It is actually written: Define "better." I thought you should know this for the next time that you attempt to belittle a hiker. :cool:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

I really don't think he was trying to belittle anyone.
Some people's priorities are different than others.
Does "better" to you mean: lighter? brighter? more reliable (durable)?, battery type? (many try to use AAA batteries in all their equipment, or a certain watch type battery, or whatever), cheaper? (I'll assume that's not your criteria because of your signature), or longer lasting?
Personally, I have no need for a headlamp as I go to sleep when it gets dark out and wake up at first light.
But, winter hiking is different and you could use one to eat by (or even cook if you mis-plan your day)
Still I would go with a Photon II and one of those baseball hat clips instead of a heavier petzl or something.

But then "better" to me is strictly a weight thing as someone said, they are all workable.

So, if you would answer leaftye's post, perhaps we could answer in a way that would help you "better".

bflorac
05-04-2012, 23:25
If you are a bit older and need to use bifocals, be sure to get on that will align the light at the right angle so it will hit your hands when reading or doing close work.

WIAPilot
05-05-2012, 00:24
If you are a bit older and need to use bifocals, be sure to get on that will align the light at the right angle so it will hit your hands when reading or doing close work.

Leaftye - I guess this one's for you since you needed to use such large print....:cool:

Magua
05-05-2012, 02:28
I bought a Black Diamond Storm and love it. This is before I decided to do a thru-hike and cut all the weight of my gear though. I am still taking it with me because Ive already invested the $$$ and its proven itself in functionality and performance but I probably would have went with a lighter version if I had originally bought it for a thru-hike. It doesnt get much better as far as quality in my opinion but I am sure there are many cottage shoppers that would disagree.

Amanita
05-05-2012, 11:49
Depends what kind of functionality you are looking for. I was looking for one that would be comfortable to night hike with, and used AAAs because I already carry those for my MP3 player. Comparing BD to Petzl I found that BDs were a bit heavier, but also brighter. So I went with a BD and am very happy with it.

As far as "Cottage" gear, small electronics are not something I've ever seen in "cottage" form. Actually, I'm perfectly capable of making the circuits for one of these flashlights, I have all the parts already even, but the casing would be the challenging part. I could even make it do some really cool things with a microcontroller... Damn, now I want to make one.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2012, 18:33
I am still happy with my Peztl. But, if it goes dwn Walmart here I come.

scubaerie
05-15-2012, 20:22
I have had several and am very pleased with the Princeton Tec Byte: very small, 2AAA, 35 lumens, 64 g / 2.3oz (with batteries) and it cycles through red first so as not to disrupt your night vision.

http://princetontec.com/?q=byte

Biggie Master
05-15-2012, 20:39
I have one, and I'm very happy with it.

Bianchi Veloce
05-16-2012, 11:56
I use the Storm and like the red light feature as it preserves my night vision for star gazing at night. And, did I mention, it is water proof.