PDA

View Full Version : Future Blazing ==>

fireneck
05-04-2012, 23:26
There is Aqua, Pink, Green, Yellow, Retro Blazing... but what about Future Blazing?!

On the south side of Roan Mountain in late March, Future Blazing, was born! I took a flagged switchback. Future Blazing is when a hiker takes a section of trail that will become part of the AT in the future.

Couple Rules about Future Blazing
-Flux Capacitor Not Needed
-No Future Blazing with groups larger than two (2).
-Do not disturb any flags, markers, plants etc.

Pretzel :: Future Blazer

WIAPilot
05-05-2012, 00:21
I just looked this up and this was fun!

Gray Blazing = Riding the bus
Survival Blazing = Skipping huge sections of the trail because you've run out of money
Red Blazing = Fallen and you're bleeding along the trail
Beer Blazing = Bar to Bar
Orange Blazing = Fire on the Trail
Dude Blazing = Opposite of Pink Blazing
And MY favorite = Platinum Blazing

Any more?

Odd Man Out
05-05-2012, 00:51
Hansel and Gretel Blazing - Following a trail of bread crumbs.

peakbagger
05-05-2012, 05:55
I did a future blaze inadvertently one year across the swamp in NJ (Pochuck). The blazing disappeared at one point and after looking for 20 minutes we found a freshly cut trail with white blazez and flagging heading to a bridge that had been pictured on an ATC cover. we walked across the bridge and then followed flagging over the swamp (kind of wet in spots) until we came out in a housing development. We walked down the road and there was the AT heading into the woods. Apparently we missed the infamous roadwalk and took the route that is now equipped with a boardwalk across the swamp.

gram cracker
05-05-2012, 06:27
Brown blazing: Planning to always crap in a privy or flush toilet.

Kerosene
05-05-2012, 07:09
Black blazing: Hiking the old route of the AT, with the white blazes painted over.

T-Rx
05-05-2012, 08:34
Buffet blazing, going from restaurant to restaurant.

Rasty
05-05-2012, 19:23
Call me stupid, but what is platinum blazing?

WIAPilot
05-05-2012, 19:44
Call me stupid, but what is platinum blazing?

Platinum Blazing is when you hike the AT in luxury and stay at the finest resorts and hotels along the way; eat at the nicest restaurants. Basically no hostels or buffets.

mountain squid
05-05-2012, 19:55
On the south side of Roan Mountain in late March, Future Blazing, was born! I took a flagged switchback. Future Blazing is when a hiker takes a section of trail that will become part of the AT in the future.
I would caution any hiker that does this because the flags don't always return to the AT, ie there might not be enough flags to flag out a half mile relocation. If you follow the flags you might just end up in the woods somewhere . . . chances are you won't get lost though (assuming you could follow the flags back the way you came). You will just have wasted your time and have to retrace your steps and no one likes doing that. Definitely don't follow ribbons that are tied to trees. They might not even be a relo or they might be an abandoned relo. If they are a relo, they will be further apart than the flags, increasing the possibility of getting lost if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Another thing to consider is that the terrain will be much more difficult to traverse increasing the likelihood of an injury. And, if you become injured and are off the trail . . . .

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

Rasty
05-05-2012, 19:58
Thanks for the answer. My first thought was trying to pickup the older ladies.

coach lou
05-05-2012, 20:14
The Mrs. & I will be WET blazing for the next 6 days!

rocketsocks
05-05-2012, 20:33
Platinum Blazing is when you hike the AT in luxury and stay at the finest resorts and hotels along the way; eat at the nicest restaurants. Basically no hostels or buffets.Wow that sounds really boring.;)

WIAPilot
05-05-2012, 20:36

LOL. That really made me laugh! We should coin a phrase for that! Instead of PINK BLAZING - how about FUSCHIA BLAZING for older women? Many wear really bright colors too. :) But we need to define "older" so that I know if I fall into that category yet or not.... Might make me rethink the name!

nehiker
05-05-2012, 20:58
Black blazing: Hiking the old route of the AT, with the white blazes painted over.

They do not want always get painted over. On the upper east (trail north) face of Bear Mountain, NY, you can still clearly see the white blazes along the section from which the AT was relocated in the 70s (as I was told). Next year (or possibly late this year), the AT is expected to be put back on part of that old route (with treadway expanded to 5') with some of the old blazes back in use.

Rasty
05-06-2012, 11:28
Maybe Salt & Pepper blazing?

I think it would be difference in age thing.

LOL. That really made me laugh! We should coin a phrase for that! Instead of PINK BLAZING - how about FUSCHIA BLAZING for older women? Many wear really bright colors too. :) But we need to define "older" so that I know if I fall into that category yet or not.... Might make me rethink the name!

WIAPilot
05-06-2012, 11:33
Maybe Salt & Pepper blazing?

I think it would be difference in age thing.

Very good. Even better!

Samson
05-06-2012, 13:09
cougar or manther blazing?

fireneck
06-30-2012, 14:51
I would caution any hiker that does this because the flags don't always return to the AT, ie there might not be enough flags to flag out a half mile relocation. If you follow the flags you might just end up in the woods somewhere . . . chances are you won't get lost though (assuming you could follow the flags back the way you came). You will just have wasted your time and have to retrace your steps and no one likes doing that. Definitely don't follow ribbons that are tied to trees. They might not even be a relo or they might be an abandoned relo. If they are a relo, they will be further apart than the flags, increasing the possibility of getting lost if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Another thing to consider is that the terrain will be much more difficult to traverse increasing the likelihood of an injury. And, if you become injured and are off the trail . . . .

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-%28advice-for-first-week-on-trail%29)

Time travel does have some inherent risks. Just ask Doctor Emmet Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqd27h7KjM).

atraildreamer
07-01-2012, 14:21
Hansel and Gretel Blazing - Following a trail of bread crumbs.

ET blazing...following a trail of Reese's Pieces. :banana

Pony
07-02-2012, 21:25
Brown blazing: Planning to always crap in a privy or flush toilet.

I made it from springer to about 15 miles south of Damascus. Around 450 miles.